Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Community > Off Topic

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-06-2010, 09:53 PM   #1
Learning by Doing

Share |

Our new exterminator...PIC

(Elaphe Obsoleta) aka the black rat snake. The longest snake in North America! I'd estimate this specimen to be around 50 inches.

I've been in and out of my basement all day today working on a project. Screamed just like a little girl when I saw this guy perched on my window ledge. It proceeded to climb up my hot water heater and climb around in the pipes in the ceiling. I just hope he stays in the basement!

EEEEEKKKKKKKK!!!!!!!

Old 07-06-2010, 10:40 PM   #2
nap
You talking to me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leah Frances View Post
I just hope he stays in the basement!
!!
sure he will (sarcastic laugh ha ha ha).

He will go wherever he can find food. If he runs out of food in the basement, he will look elsewhere.

If it were winter, I would think that would mean he would be heading upstairs if he ran out of food but seeing as it is summer and it is plenty warm outside, he might find greener pastures outside of the home.

just figured I would toss in these fact obtained from Wikipedia:

Quote:
Adults can become quite large and are known to reach up to eight (8) feet, being the largest snake found in Canada. The record length is 101 inches (2,600 mm), making it (officially) the longest snake in North America.
Not sure if you have a male or female or when mating season it but this was interesting:

Quote:
The female lays about 12 to 20 eggs after five weeks and they hatch about 65 to 70 days later

nap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 11:53 PM   #3

I'd be a little more worried about the head size on the other one's shadow......... lol
That is creepy! (not intentional)
Be safe, Gary
Old 07-08-2010, 07:30 AM   #4

If he/she is staying anywhere in the house,, I"m sleeping in the car. After reading your post, I'll be having nightmares. Had black snakes at our last house, I understand they are a valuable asset to have around but not in the house. And yes,, I too scream like a little girl when seeing them.
Old 07-08-2010, 11:19 AM   #5
Wire Chewer

Wow that is a crazy find lol.

I've actually thought of putting a couple snakes in my basement to kill spiders and other bugs lol.
Red Squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 11:54 AM   #6

Our neighbor was clearing out his crawlspace/basement last nite/today
I think a skunk may have dug its way in somehow
We coudl smell skunk.....
Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 12:24 PM   #7
Newbie Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUDE! View Post
If he/she is staying anywhere in the house,, I"m sleeping in the car. After reading your post, I'll be having nightmares. Had black snakes at our last house, I understand they are a valuable asset to have around but not in the house. And yes,, I too scream like a little girl when seeing them.
We don't have many snakes here in Northern Alberta. I think I have seen a couple of garter snakes in 40 plus years.

So, if I saw one of those in my house I too would scream like a girl.

A DIY Noob that knows just enough to be dangerous.
drtbk4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 02:07 PM   #8
Handyman

JEEEEEEUS Imagine that thing crawling across your forehead in the middle of the night!! I thought I had problems with centipedes

I rented a cottage some years back in northern Ontario with a buddy. Sometime around 1:00AM we both ran into the kitchen after hearing a hiss sound. There were two rattlesnakes there. Broke about eight plates, 4 beer bottles and a couple of mugs before they finally took off.
canadaclub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 03:48 PM   #9
nap
You talking to me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadaclub View Post
JEEEEEEUS Imagine that thing crawling across your forehead in the middle of the night!! I thought I had problems with centipedes

I rented a cottage some years back in northern Ontario with a buddy. Sometime around 1:00AM we both ran into the kitchen after hearing a hiss sound. There were two rattlesnakes there. Broke about eight plates, 4 beer bottles and a couple of mugs before they finally took off.
but where did they "take off" too? That is what I would worry about,

That reminds me of some show (maybe twilight zone or some such show) where there was this guy laying in bed. He sees a snakes tail as it went under the covers and I think, laid on his belly. He just laid there until some friend came by simply scared nearly to death. The guy didn't believe him at first and tried to get him to get up. The guy in bed was insistent on the snake being real. They called a doctor (I think) that pumped some chloroform under the covers to put the snake to sleep. After an appropriate amount of time, they slowly pulled down the covers only to realize there was no snake. The friend starts laughing at the guy thinking he is just plain crazy. After the guy gets out of bed, the friend that is still laughing falls onto the bed and as his head hits the pillow, he gets this weird look in his eye and stops laughing.

As he lifts his head from the pillow, you can see the fang marks on the side of the guys face that was against the pillow from the snake that was on the other guys belly but went up under the pillow before they gassed it.

AAHHHHHH!!!!! Don't lay your head on the pillow!!!!!!!
nap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 04:52 PM   #10
Handyman

You know, I think I saw the same show! The otherr was a Twilight Zone where the guy had bugs in his ear and they had to strap him down to stop him from tearing his skin apart...he amlost went insane and then the bug exited from the other side. Only problem was, it laid eggs in his brain.

NOW, scary rememberance. Last year camping, woke up at 4 with an itch in my ear...like a tickle. i rubbed and it got worse and worse. I poked with my my baby finger, got even worse..tried a QtIP and didnt help. Waited until the itch felt close enough to the lobe and i closed my nose and exhaled really hard. Well, out pops a little white spider faster than I have seen a spider move. Sadly, I found it and killed it cause I hate when than happens

canadaclub is offline   Reply With Quote