The Other Side Of The Monitor - Off Topic - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > The Break Room > Off Topic

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-26-2014, 12:00 AM   #1
Administrator

Rewards Points: 1,334
Arrow

The Other Side Of The Monitor

A few years back I wrote this for another Escalate Media forum that I manage. I want to share it here as well.

Please keep it mind when responding to others in the community.

Quote:
Do you ever stop to think who is on the other side of the monitor? Do you always remember that it is a breathing human being? When you post in a community, do you consider how your words might be taken by others? Do you care? Even when someone post a question that we consider completely stupid or rude, does our own response add to the problem? Or, do we go out of our way to help turn a negative into a positive?

Does being right but humiliating others make us more right? Do we imagine that people are watching and thinking how smart we are?

Do we stop for even one second to think how we made that person on the other side of the monitor feel?

I have heard people say that if someone post something stupid or rude, they deserve whatever they get as a response. Seriously? Have we considered that we have no clue what is going on in their lives? Perhaps they are completely alone in life and they're just looking for some attention. Maybe our response can show them a better way through our own example.

Have we considered that they may be extremely depressed and are acting out? Could our response make a difference, not just for the individual, but for the community as a whole? We don't know what is going on in their lives, but as in any community, we know that right now, in this moment, we are all dealing with our own issues.

Right now, someone is trying to deal with a loss of a loved one. Someone else may be dealing with extensive financial difficulties or has been burned so many times that they choose to hurt others before someone can hurt them. They may even be considering taking their own life. We simply don't know.

One thing we know for sure though, on the other side of that monitor is a human being.

Am I asking that we be "nice" to those who we honestly feel don't deserve it?

I am simply suggesting that maybe we consider if our own response helps or hurts the community as a whole. Perhaps we can make a difference in someone's life today, just by giving a dang.

Just my 2 cents . . .

Advertisement

Join DIY on Facebook today!
facebook.com/DIYChatroom
Cricket is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Cricket For This Useful Post:
BigJim (02-26-2014), Centex2011 (02-26-2014), curtd (06-13-2014), djlandkpl (02-26-2014), oh'mike (07-24-2014), r0ckstarr (07-24-2014), rossfingal (02-26-2014), TheEplumber (03-01-2014), ToolSeeker (12-07-2014), yuri (02-26-2014)
Old 02-26-2014, 10:06 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 246

If you were brought up understanding the "Golden Rule", then you'd understand what Cricket is saying.

Advertisement

landfillwizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 11:54 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 500

The type of people who would read this or for whom it would be meaningful are not the type of people who, by and large, make horrible horrible comments online, unfortunately.
TheBobmanNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 12:19 PM   #4
JOATMON

Rewards Points: 2,628

Good article and very true.

So how do we deal with keyboard commandos and trolls?

Don't feed them. And use the report button.

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ddawg16 For This Useful Post:
Cricket (02-26-2014), rossfingal (02-26-2014)
Old 02-26-2014, 01:20 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 500

I'm a fan of exposing them. I'd love it if every day some bigoted a-hole got picked at random from YouTube and had their name and face plastered on CNN.
TheBobmanNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 04:06 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 10

so true
mrmkmz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 06:45 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 1,696

We as individuals could make the OP subject more effective if the Ignore function was improved.
SeniorSitizen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 11:11 PM   #8
I'm Your Huckleberry

Rewards Points: 2,270

I'm guilty, arrest me.

Advertisement