Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Community > Off Topic

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-13-2013, 02:39 PM   #1
I'm Your Huckleberry

Share |

One door closes, another one opens.

I quit my last hvac company last Wednesday or tried to. He let me go Friday morning after me telling him on Wednesday that it wasn't going to work but him wanting me to stick around and try.

Long and short of the issue at hand was me sub contract in my truck and him expecting me to drive 45 miles one way to pick up parts. That is not what I was hired to do, not at all, and I said no to that. It went downhill fast after that.

Anyways, today I got this. No more driving my truck into the ground for anyone.

Old 05-13-2013, 02:55 PM   #2
Renovating My Land Yacht

that's awesome mate. Good for you for standing your ground

forcedreno2012 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to forcedreno2012 For This Useful Post:
Doc Holliday (05-13-2013)
Old 05-13-2013, 03:12 PM   #3
I'm Your Huckleberry

He didn't like me standing my ground one bit. And what really gets me about that situation is he himself put a control board on will call at Carrier to which I went to go pick up and upon recognition of cost of board (outside of my time and diesel fuel going to the supply house to get it) he decides he doesn't want to pay that much and wants me to go to the office 45 miles away to pick it up as he happened to have one laying around, then drive 45 miles back and install it. All for what? I don't think I would've even made $80.00 on that call. Screw that.

He wasn't helping me with gas (diesel) and when I asked about if he'd possibly help with my truck if and when she breaks down, would he help to which he straight up said, "No."

Then good luck and best wishes, I'm outta here!

Feels good to have a company truck. Gas card, very, very good hourly rate plus commission, 401k, medical, dental, continuing education, tool allowance, etc, etc..

feels good.
oh'mike (05-13-2013)
Old 05-13-2013, 06:19 PM   #4
Renovating My Land Yacht

Glad to hear that. Never understood why people are not willing to reimburse for expenses. Either that or bump up the hourly to cover them. It's a cost of doing business and its not the employee's responsibility to pay those costs.
forcedreno2012 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 09:55 PM   #5
I'm Your Huckleberry

as a sub I pay for my own gas so I have to look out for it. I was hired to handle my side of town, was supposed to be able to go to a supply house close by and pick up parts, not spend $20 in gas and two hours of my time driving all over God's creation hunting them down. That's my gas and my time to save him, well, nothing really. He paid the full price for that board somewhere at one time. He could very well have held on to it and used it up there.

My last company bought me my truck and then this guy wouldn't help me repair it as needed in the event it does need it,working for him, making him money? And I even asked on a loan basis where I would pay it back in full, not a truck maintenance allowance or anything. He said no.

That really jived my mojo.

Just last week he told me I was his top sales guy, bringing in the most non covered profit, and then this.
Old 05-14-2013, 06:42 AM   #6

Congrats on the new paycheck and the new company truck.

You mentioned "your side of town". Just curious on how far outside of Houston you go?
r0ckstarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 08:07 AM   #7
I'm Your Huckleberry

Quote:
Originally Posted by r0ckstarr View Post
Congrats on the new paycheck and the new company truck.

You mentioned "your side of town". Just curious on how far outside of Houston you go?
Company is in the Woodlands. I was hired for Houston and Katy but both stretch very far. Farthest south I've been was 288 and Binz, done a lot of work in downtown Houston through Katy, Cypress and Tomball.
Old 05-14-2013, 01:13 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Holliday View Post
Company is in the Woodlands. I was hired for Houston and Katy but both stretch very far. Farthest south I've been was 288 and Binz, done a lot of work in downtown Houston through Katy, Cypress and Tomball.
Yeah, you definitely need a company truck for that driving. Good luck with the new job. Hope it works out better than the previous ones.
r0ckstarr is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to r0ckstarr For This Useful Post:
Doc Holliday (05-14-2013)
Old 05-15-2013, 04:28 AM   #9
An old Tradesmen

Congrats on the new job. Nice truck.
Old 05-15-2013, 04:59 PM   #10
I'm Your Huckleberry

Quote:
Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
Congrats on the new job. Nice truck.
thanks bt. it is nice, isn't it. I sure hope it's a v8 or I'm outta there!! although it has already been assigned to me on the day I got hired and filled out paperwork at the office i still need to go and pick it up as i had to take and pass drug test (i did, of course) BUT....

... I received another offer from another company today, a much bigger company with more power behind them. I went on one interview today, like a buffer interview I guess, and I'll be meeting with the owner hopefully tomorrow to discuss the possibilities. Hourly, salary plus commission and how much percentage, etc.

I'd get a Chevy or GMC service van, an i-phone, company credit card, tablet (both companies are paperless) as well as benefits.

Let the games begin!
Old 05-15-2013, 05:05 PM   #11
An old Tradesmen

Ah, so you'll be a full time employee, and not a sub anymore.
Old 05-15-2013, 05:10 PM   #12
I'm Your Huckleberry

Quote:
Ah, so you'll be a full time employee, and not a sub anymore.
yup, that was the whole point, to save my truck for myself. it's just now who will pay me more and offer more benefits, training, etc. this second company is an Airtime 500 or 5000 company, whatever that means. I need to look into it further but he took the entire company to Vegas for training a few months ago. that's kind of what I was looking for.

The more a company invests in their employees the less likely they are to let them go, such as in the Winter time as many do down here, as they become more and more valuable.
Old 05-15-2013, 05:24 PM   #13
An old Tradesmen

Hope you like "up selling" on every service call.
Old 05-15-2013, 09:21 PM   #14
I'm Your Huckleberry

Quote:
Hope you like "up selling" on every service call.
you talking about the Airtime 500 company, right? Yeah, I know. What I'm used to doing is cleaning coils and selling and installing float switches along with the diagnostics and repairs.

What's good about the first company, the truck pictured, is they do both home warranty and retail, maybe 70/30, but at least on all retail calls I can sell equipment as needed if a piece needs to be killed and make money. Plus they offer 5 year financing so selling becomes really easy. Heck a five ton complete can come out to $133 and change per month (we briefly went over the logistics of a system in five year financing) of which a homeowner will save near that much per month on their electric bill on the 16 and 18 seer equipment they (we?) offer.

That's the sale right there, monkies in the bank.
Old 05-15-2013, 10:36 PM   #15

You sold me at "continuing education"
Really is nice when a employer is willing to invest into your education and become a better employee.

When the employer steps up and starts offering continuing education, they are taking a gamble on the employee, they really do want to be the best.
yup yup, that is who I want to work for. Assuming I do not work for myself.

Doc Holliday (05-15-2013)