Old Memories - Off Topic - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > The Break Room > Off Topic

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-27-2013, 10:50 AM   #1
Old School

Location: St. Petersburg, FL Minds of moderate caliber ordinarily condemn everything which is beyond them.
Rewards Points: 2,000

Old memories

It's the season to start taking the kayaks out again. I thought you guys might like to see a simple 45 degree rack addition I made about six years ago so that I can carry three kayaks on my truck's ladder rack.

Goes on and/or off in about seven seconds, and it works great with only one tie-down wrapped around it at the peak... that same tie-down also secures the two top kayaks. (It's the yellow strap in the last photo.) The brace, itself holds the bottom kayak in place. Of course, all kayaks get additional tie-downs, front and rear.

Yes, it's all Schedule 40 PVC. (The brace, not the original ladder rack.)

That same brace serves well as a peak for a big blue tarp strung over the truck bed when I spend the night sleeping back there.
Attached Images

Advertisement

Last edited by Willie T; 05-27-2013 at 11:02 AM.
Willie T is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Willie T For This Useful Post:
BigJim (05-27-2013), oh'mike (05-27-2013)
Old 05-27-2013, 11:16 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,682

Old memories

nice. but isn't pvc fragile ?

Advertisement

Fix'n it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 11:20 AM   #3
Old School

Location: St. Petersburg, FL Minds of moderate caliber ordinarily condemn everything which is beyond them.

Old memories

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fix'n it View Post
nice. but isn't pvc fragile ?
The usual Schedule 20 is, but Schedule 40 is tough... and you can even get Schedule 80... almost indestructable.

I'll post some pictures of a kayak cart (for transport to the beach) that I built from Schedule 80.

Unfortunately, all the fittings are made from something that is about Schedule 30. They WILL break.... but they are all pretty compact, and seem to do well.

This brace has been used well over a thousand times, and has performed perfectly.

Last edited by Willie T; 05-27-2013 at 11:31 AM.
Old 05-27-2013, 11:27 AM   #4
Old School

Old memories

Here's the cart. I've since broken one of the fittings... Showing off how tough it is, I dropped it from shoulder height, and a joint snapped.

The pictures showing kayaks on the carts aren't mine. Mine has the pink "Barbie Jeep" wheels.
Attached Thumbnails
Old memories-cart-apart.jpg   Old memories-cart-axle.jpg   Old memories-cart-full.jpg   Old memories-kayak-cart.jpg   Old memories-kayak-carts.jpg  

Old memories-wheels.jpg  

Last edited by Willie T; 05-27-2013 at 12:36 PM.