Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > The Break Room > Off Topic

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-19-2013, 04:18 PM   #1
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,226

It is now illegle to wash your own car, on your own private propety

A police officer paid a pair of Garden City residents a visit to enforce on unusual law prohibiting the washing of cars in public places.

The two men who took the video appeared dumbfounded when the officer told them that there was a village ordinance against washing cars in public places, but the officer came prepared with a printed copy of the unusual law, saying “I’m not making this… up” when presenting it to the car owners.

In addition to prohibiting the cleaning of a variety of fabrics in public spaces, Section 178-3 under Article II of the Garden City village ordinances states that “no person shall wash or cause to be washed any motor vehicle or like conveyance upon any public street, highway or public place.”

http://www.longisland.com/news/12-19...shing-car.html

Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 04:25 PM   #2
Exterior Construction

Rewards Points: 2,502

"Government, even in its best state, is but a necessary evil; in its worst state, an intolerable one."

Thomas Paine

Windows on Wash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 04:26 PM   #3
JOATMON

Rewards Points: 2,312

I think the cop needs to brush up on his law terms.

Public place and public view are two different animals and the language of the ord. says public place.....or, a place open to the public. The street is public...but one's driveway is not.

Had that been me....I would have continued washing my car and when issued a citation, taken it to court. Case law regarding Public View and Place is pretty clear.

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ddawg16 For This Useful Post:
Arlo (12-21-2013), GBrackins (12-19-2013), gregzoll (12-19-2013)
Old 12-19-2013, 04:37 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,016

^ what dawg said

"You get what you pay for, and sometimes free costs more!"
GBrackins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 06:26 PM   #5
registered

Rewards Points: 508

Private residence on private property would not be consider a public place. Example you can't smoke at a public place. But you can smoke on private property.
747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 07:21 PM   #6
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,226

Quote:
Originally Posted by 747 View Post
Private residence on private property would not be consider a public place. Example you can't smoke at a public place. But you can smoke on private property.
Not anymore in some cities, if there is an attached dwelling, or it is a multi-tennant structure.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 08:06 PM   #7
Wire Chewer

Rewards Points: 2,000

I saw this. It's become really sad when we are told what we can't do, on our own property. What's even more sad is the fact that you don't really "own" your property. If you happen to find gold or other minerals, it does not belong to you, it actually belongs to whatever big mining company is in town. Really really sad how this world works. Wouldn’t it be nice to be able to live somewhere with nobody trying to tell you what to do. That place also has unicorns, because it does not exist. :P
Red Squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Red Squirrel For This Useful Post:
gregzoll (12-19-2013)
Old 12-19-2013, 10:37 PM   #8
Lord of Slums

Rewards Points: 538

I have mixed feeling about this. On the one hand people(many) have completely lost the meaning of a good neighbor. On the other, washing a car is not being a bad neighbor. These cops just have nothing better too do then run a power trip on the innocent. You could not believe Detroit, shootings, murders, and they go around nickel and diming working people to death.
mj12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 11:09 PM   #9
DIY Enthusiast

Rewards Points: 500

It should be noted that the car washers neighbor call the police and complained.
They didn't just roll up on them out of the blue.
sublime2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 11:39 PM   #10
Pro Flooring Installer

Rewards Points: 2,108

Some of the cops are just not well trained. I had one knock on my door and say I had a derelict vehicle in my drive because the tags were expired. I had to explain to him that they had no "year" tag on them because they were lifetime plates on an historical vehicle. He didn't believe me. When he called in, the dispatcher had to explain it to him again.
rusty baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 07:35 AM   #11
Lord of Slums

Rewards Points: 538

Apparently these cops had copies of the law printed up. I would say they are doing better than many in the law enforcement community. I see the confusion between public and private property. Private property is only an illusion. See what happens when you stop paying your property tax. You own nothing.
mj12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 01:57 PM   #12
Mold!! Let's kill it!

Rewards Points: 2,012

Another case of a police officer enforcing his idea of what the law says, rather than what the law actually says. Sad thing is we don't know the whole story. Might be a pair of hoodlums who hang out making all kinds of racket or doing stuff to deliberately screw with the neighbor and now the cop is stuck in the middle just trying to make the situation go away. Kind of odd that the kid had his cell phone camera going right away, like he was ready for a show down.
Maintenance 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 02:29 PM   #13

it appears there are two police cruisers out front and the officer that came up to them was first talking with the second officer. I'm sure that's why he pulled out the phone to record, I know I would have.

Old 12-20-2013, 02:37 PM   #14
JOATMON

Rewards Points: 2,312

In fact, it looks like the officer got the copy of the ordinance from the unmarked car. I'm going to speculate that it was a city employee....code enforcement?

So....pissed off neighbor calls the city to complain....city sends a cop and code enforcement officer over....both who don't seem to understand the difference between public place and public view.

Me being the trouble maker I am....I would call the city and make sure of the wording and just in case, make sure how they view public place vs public view. And assuming it is public place....I would get up early on Sat....mow the grass...then get out the leaf blower and make as much noise as I could. Then wash the car in the driveway while having the video record it.

But....I'm a trouble maker.....

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ddawg16 For This Useful Post:
Maintenance 6 (12-20-2013), oh'mike (12-21-2013), rusty baker (12-20-2013), Windows on Wash (12-20-2013)
Old 12-20-2013, 03:01 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddawg16 View Post
I'm a trouble maker.....
say it ain't so dawg!

The Following User Says Thank You to GBrackins For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (12-21-2013)