Not In A Good Mood. - Off Topic - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > The Break Room > Off Topic

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-23-2011, 04:52 PM   #1
I'm Your Huckleberry

Rewards Points: 2,270

Not in a good mood.

My blood pressure is raised, my face is red and there's steam coming from out of my ears.

I find out my boss has lied to me and concerning more than one job. We go out, diagnose, fix what and when we can or if need be have the home warranty purchase the home owner new equipment.

We have four furnaces on hold due to supposed non covered costs or so I was led to believe four. Turns out two have already been installed by my boss and his son. That's $600 down the drain for myself. More importantly is that I called the home owner on one, the other has not answered his phone but I did leave a message, and he said that yes, our company had already done the job. I then asked my boss about it and his words were, "Well he's confused, he cashed out.", meaning the guy took the money from the home warranty and went his own way.

I called the home warranty today, after my boss and his wife both are not answering their phones (they owe me money and I need it) , and found out the purchase order number, time and date of equipment pick up as well as the boss' wife ordering an lp tp gas conversion kit on top of the furnace. I called Carrier and they confirmed that the unit had already been paid for and picked up.

That was my job, my service call and ws to be my install, my money and it was all taken out from right underneath me.

I have gone well above and beyond the call of duty for this guy, taking emergency calls to get back in good with certain home warranty companies after his other techs really screwed it all up and they quit using us, worked nights and weekends and did a damn good job and succeeded in once again getting more calls from these companies, mending our business relationship.

Blindsided by the one person I put my trust in.

I feel better now, thanks.

Advertisement

Doc Holliday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 05:07 PM   #2
Pro Slate Roofer

Rewards Points: 1,038

Not in a good mood.

That's how I always got blindsided. Really sorry to hear it!

Working alone with my own referrals and web leads keeps that from happening again. Only downside now is that I can't handle the workload I have. And I don't know how to cut it back either. Gave 3 jobs over to my competition yesterday.

Advertisement

tinner666 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tinner666 For This Useful Post:
Doc Holliday (11-23-2011), Tom Struble (11-24-2011)
Old 11-23-2011, 05:10 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 150

Not in a good mood.

Cash your last paycheck before you kick his ass.
josall is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to josall For This Useful Post:
Doc Holliday (11-23-2011), VIPlumber (11-23-2011), Willie T (11-23-2011)
Old 11-23-2011, 05:25 PM   #4
I'm Your Huckleberry

Not in a good mood.

I can't believe people do that to one another in this day and age. Where's the respect?

The good thing that has come of this is that during my time working for this asshat, he has bragged about me to his friends in the same biz, hvac business owners themselves.

I've been on the phone today, on the lookout for an opening, and albeit everyone is now slowing down it is just a matter of when they can put me to work, both companies want me and told me they will make sure they keep me employed and pay me during the (next) slow season but as of right now they are only focused on keeping their current long time employees they have working so can't take on another tech just yet.

It is at the very least good to know they know of and want me. Kingwood Air, whom didn't hire me last season because of how far I lived and so I went to work for my current asshat boss who's company is equally as far and it worked out very well is one of those guys and he got wind of the situation and is impressed with me. He is and has a rapidly growing business.

Plus I called my old boss from last year who continually acts as my personal technical support no matter whom I'm employed by (I left him last season because there was simply nothing happening, not because he let me go) and he gave me a few leads to some companies who are branching out so that's good. If he has an excess amount of work he himself will use me once again but he's a very small one man shop so we'll see how that goes.

Time to put on my top hat and get to it, I guess.

Thanks.
The Following User Says Thank You to Doc Holliday For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (11-23-2011)
Old 11-23-2011, 05:29 PM   #5
I'm Your Huckleberry

Not in a good mood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by josall View Post
Cash your last paycheck before you kick his ass.

I will set his truck on fire if he doesn't pay me, with him in it.

I am obviously only kidding with that remark. He's an older guy, pushing 60 and can barely walk around, got a bad hip.

I feel sorry for him moreso than anything. I really liked him.
Old 11-23-2011, 06:25 PM   #6
Pro Flooring Installer

Rewards Points: 2,318

Not in a good mood.

I know the drill. I have been an independent most of the last 20 years. But twice in that period, I have had a store promise me that if I would measure and figure their jobs, I could have all the work I wanted. They would tell me that a certain customer didn't buy and I would find out later that one of the local subs got the job because they would work a little cheaper. I hope they screwed up the jobs they cheated you on.
rusty baker is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rusty baker For This Useful Post:
Doc Holliday (11-23-2011)
Old 11-23-2011, 06:44 PM   #7
I'm Your Huckleberry

Not in a good mood.

I doubt he messed it up, but I doubt he did it as well as it could have been done.

Well you guys, thanks for listening and for the replies but now I fear the only thing left for me to do this evening when I have absolutely no money to spend is to go chase down some women. Women love me and love it when I'm down and hurting and all sappy and in need of a feminine shoulder to caress, er, lean on, an ear to nibble on, er, listen..

Might as well take advantage of it.
Old 11-23-2011, 06:46 PM   #8
Old School

Location: St. Petersburg, FL Minds of moderate caliber ordinarily condemn everything which is beyond them.
Rewards Points: 2,000

Not in a good mood.

It's hard, but try to understand that fear and dwindling bank accounts make some people do some awfully crude things that they normally would be ashamed of.
Willie T is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Willie T For This Useful Post:
Doc Holliday (11-23-2011), oh'mike (11-23-2011)
Old 11-23-2011, 07:24 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 250

Not in a good mood.

When you move on, you will do better. That really sucks. I am always amazed at the lack of morality in people. So many crooks out there. I come from poor people but at least I come from honest people.
JackDidley is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JackDidley For This Useful Post:
Old 11-23-2011, 08:34 PM   #10
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 3,306

Not in a good mood.

Doc---When you do leave ,you will have learned many things that you you can take to the bank--

Training--experience---dealing with customers and greater self confidence.

Also --how some people behave when facing difficult choices---You just added a new warning bell to the intuitive warnings that a business man must have to survive.

It stinks that you had to see the weak side of someone you trusted and respected---

But that is life --you will learn from this ---and end up the better man for the lesson---Good luck--Mike--
Old 11-23-2011, 08:41 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 150

Not in a good mood.

The first thing wrong with this situation is your premise. You must first understand that your job is not your property but his. If he cannot provide you steady employment then move on, but him fulfilling his work orders is his job until HE makes it yours. Best wishes, do not let it ruin your holiday.
OhioHomeDoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to OhioHomeDoctor For This Useful Post:
Doc Holliday (11-23-2011), kwikfishron (11-23-2011)
Old 11-23-2011, 09:01 PM   #12
I'm Your Huckleberry

Not in a good mood.

Thanks all. Great advice and insight. I appreciate it.
Old 11-23-2011, 09:09 PM   #13
I'm Your Huckleberry

Not in a good mood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh'mike View Post
Doc---When you do leave ,you will have learned many things that you you can take to the bank--

Training--experience---dealing with customers and greater self confidence.

Also --how some people behave when facing difficult choices---You just added a new warning bell to the intuitive warnings that a business man must have to survive.

It stinks that you had to see the weak side of someone you trusted and respected---

But that is life --you will learn from this ---and end up the better man for the lesson---Good luck--Mike--
I understand that he was weak. I saw it in his eyes last week when I asked him about it. I did not push it then yet I had a hunch.
Like I said, I feel sorry for him, that he did that. I know he is not proud of it.
Old 11-23-2011, 09:19 PM   #14
I'm Your Huckleberry

Not in a good mood.

And I did gain real world tech experience of which ive thanked him for the opportunity many times.
Old 11-23-2011, 09:28 PM   #15
I'm Your Huckleberry

Not in a good mood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioHomeDoctor View Post
The first thing wrong with this situation is your premise. You must first understand that your job is not your property but his. If he cannot provide you steady employment then move on, but him fulfilling his work orders is his job until HE makes it yours. Best wishes, do not let it ruin your holiday.
Understandable and correct but how it works or is or was is that I install my own sells. I got paid thirty dollars for the call and wouldve made three hundred on the install which he said the company did not do. The lie is what hurts.

Advertisement