NOT DIY RELATED: No Inspections; Lying Contractor - Off Topic - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > The Break Room > Off Topic

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-26-2012, 09:51 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Thumbs down

NOT DIY RELATED: No Inspections; lying contractor

Hello All. I am a homeowner who just had a screened room added. The contractor finished the job and wanted his money. I contacted the County and found out no inspections had been done during the project. The Building Inspector said if the Engineer who drew the plans for the contractor does an inspection of the room and says it passes his inspection, the County will sign off on it. There are some things on the plans that were not done. There is no peel and stick between the concrete slab and powder coated aluminum sill as called for in the plans. There is no flashing installed between the house and the roof of the screened room (as called for in the plans). Some of the moisture barrier was removed when the old structure over the back door was dismantled. The barrier was not replaced. The screened room looks beautiful, but I may experience problems of rot down the road without the flashing and moisture barrier. Not sure what purpose the peel and stick serves.

What should be my next move? Expecting the (elderly) Engineer Saturday morning. What if he says everything is hunky dory?? Do I just accept that? Do I hire my own construction inspector?

Advertisement

daniw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 01:43 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,032

Welcome to the forums, I'll move you for better responses!

Gary

Advertisement

Old 08-16-2012, 05:45 AM   #3
Mod

Rewards Points: 2,526

Quote:
Originally Posted by daniw View Post
The contractor finished the job and wanted his money. I
It doesnít sound like heís finished too me. Donít pay him until youíre satisfied.

No roof to wall flashing is a leak as is no sill seal. Itís kind of hard to comment in more detail without seeing it. Post some pictures.
The Following User Says Thank You to kwikfishron For This Useful Post:
jomama45 (08-16-2012)
Old 08-16-2012, 07:39 AM   #4
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Rewards Points: 2,000

Hopefully you have a written contract specifying to build to the drawings. Hold him to it. Pay him progress payments if you agreed to that but not the final one until the job is done and as contracted. If you pay him, you will likely never see him again. And things like flashing and so forth are not options.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 10:58 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdsester View Post
Hopefully you have a written contract specifying to build to the drawings. Hold him to it. Pay him progress payments if you agreed to that but not the final one until the job is done and as contracted. If you pay him, you will likely never see him again. And things like flashing and so forth are not options.
^^^THAT sounds real familar....AMHIK....(subscribing so I can see the outcome)

It sounds like you caught between a rock and a hard place....you want permitted buy off....but not of sub-standard work.

I would make sure I point out all the issues you noted above to the visiting Engineer on Saturday. If blows them off and says it's ok....then the Engineer is in cahoots with the contractor....if this happens....then you are going to need more input from the experts here......I know what I would do....

BTW....want to insure a more 'honest' inspection by the Engineer? Set up a camera.....make sure he sees it....you would be surprised at how 'honest' people will be when they know there is a video record being made....if he walks out....you know the where he stands....(and, yea, I know some guys are not going to agree with this)...tell the engineer that you just want to record it so that you have an accurate record of his comments....be real nice about it....

One last thing....what did the contractor lie about?
jeepdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 05:35 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 75

Everyone please notice that homeowner met with engineer almost 3 weeks ago July 26.
dogris is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dogris For This Useful Post:
jbfan (08-16-2012)
Old 08-18-2012, 11:37 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 500

lol if I showed up to do an inspection and someone wanted to videotape me, that would be the shortest inspection they've ever seen. If you're not sure then hire a third party, inspector or engineer.

Advertisement

chrisBC is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fraud , inspections , lying contractor , screened room