Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > The Break Room > Off Topic

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-14-2012, 12:41 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

NOT DIY RELATED: Hired Contractor Question - Is this normal

Well since I posted once here, it got my mind rolling about other things my contractor has done that I'm interested in.

This one, for example, I'd like justified.

He build a covered rear porch per my drawings and installed a french door. He put the french door on top of a 2 x 6 sill plate. Hence raising the threshold creating a tripping hazard getting out of the house. Is this the norm? He then pitched the porch deck plywood the same height towards the rear of the porch for water drainage.

It's a very weird thing, I have never seen a door built up on anything, the threshold was always flush to the floor.

Thanks again.

Weekend Warrior DIY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 12:45 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 3,054

Need some pictures.

He may have set the door on top of the plateand adding some form of caulking under the plate hoping to stop water from getting in under the door.
Just a guess.

joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 12:48 PM   #3
Stuck in the 70's

Rewards Points: 1,018

Our front door has a high threshold you have to step over.
What does it look like from the outside?
Do you have a pic?
Blondesense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 08:48 AM   #4
Coconut Pete's paella!

Rewards Points: 500

My slider sits flush on top of my floor except for flashing etc and it still has a little step up you have to lift your foot to go over.
CoconutPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 09:40 AM   #5
DIY-er

The Building Code here requires a door to be a minimum of 4 inches above a deck, porch or the ground. Anything under 4 inches in height is considered a tripping hazard. Doors that are flush with a deck can allow water or snow to go into the interior room quite easily - not sure if you have snow where you are located.

The optimum is to have the interior floor flush with the threshold, and the deck 6 inches below. Not sure if this was possible in your case.
KevinPh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 02:22 PM   #6
Residential Designer

Rewards Points: 546
Send a message via Skype™ to AndyGump

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weekend Warrior DIY View Post
Well since I posted once here, it got my mind rolling about other things my contractor has done that I'm interested in.

He build a covered rear porch per my drawings and installed a french door. He put the french door on top of a 2 x 6 sill plate. Hence raising the threshold creating a tripping hazard getting out of the house. Is this the norm? He then pitched the porch deck plywood the same height towards the rear of the porch for water drainage.

It's a very weird thing, I have never seen a door built up on anything, the threshold was always flush to the floor.

Thanks again.
Uhh, I can't even imagine a scenario where what you are describing would be a good idea.

Andy.
Old 08-15-2012, 10:37 PM   #7

I set sliders on the subfloor and all other ext. doors on 3/4 of an inch. That allows for carpet, Oak floor, tile on underlayment, and a welcome mat or rug. Pretty standard here (lotsa snow).

T

I don't understand what you mean about deck plywood?

Last edited by Tham; 08-15-2012 at 10:42 PM.
Tham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 10:40 PM   #8

Once again were all guessing without seeing one picture.
Old 08-15-2012, 10:50 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
Once again were all guessing without seeing one picture.
But the description is so perfect, why can't you see it in your minds eye?

However if it's what I'm picturing in my mind then you need to get a new contractor.
robertcdf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 11:13 PM   #10

Quote:

Thanks again.
If this is a covered porch was was the plywood pitched?
Old 08-15-2012, 11:13 PM   #11

Sorry for the lack of response and pictures. Tonight was a fun night arguing with the contractor regarding he wanted his final pay and he was done, he didn't know what else I wanted him to do. A friend of mine who is a contractor on the side told me to not pay him, the basement is all over the place in heights, ranging from 84.75" to 85.5" He told me that if I wanted a perfectly smooth basement, he would have quoted me on that. That he's doing things for cost, etc.

Anyway, I'm more than fed up than I can imagine. Back to the point here.
Attached Thumbnails
NOT DIY RELATED: Hired Contractor Question - Is this normal-dsc_0483.jpg  
Old 08-15-2012, 11:14 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
If this is a covered porch was was the plywood pitched?
Because the water, when it rained, comes in mostly on that side of the house and he wanted to pitch the water away.
Old 08-15-2012, 11:28 PM   #13
World's Tallest Midget

Rewards Points: 504

Quote:
A friend of mine who is a contractor on the side told me to not pay him, the basement is all over the place in heights, ranging from 84.75" to 85.5" He told me that if I wanted a perfectly smooth basement, he would have quoted me on that. That he's doing things for cost, etc.
He really said this?! He's not going to be in business long with that attitude, especially if he's "doing things for cost," which is also a stupid thing for a businessman to do.
Mort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 06:55 AM   #14
AHH, SPANS!!!

Rewards Points: 1,028

it looks like the door was installed with no regard to the inside of the basement being finished, is the door flashed correctly on the outside? Is that standard sub floor on the outside of the house covering the porch floor?
hand drive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 08:00 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mort View Post
He really said this?! He's not going to be in business long with that attitude, especially if he's "doing things for cost," which is also a stupid thing for a businessman to do.
Yes he actually said that. He said if I wanted the project done 100% it would have cost an additional $30k. He then told his workers, some of who never worked a day on my property, that I wasn't paying them. Last I knew, I wasn't responsible for paying them, they're not my workers, he's working on several jobs, he shows up hit or miss and so randomly I never know where he's going to be there and who's going to be there.

His workers came to my door, all younger kids in their 20's saying that he told them I wasn't paying them. I went through the whole deal with them, they said they know he's full of it sometimes and isn't always on the up and up.

I missed something on my plan calling out the height of the basement because it was something I didn't know about. He assured me all along that it isn't a problem and a full basement would be fine.

One of the workers says to me that he's a basement guy, it's what he does, but he wasn't here when the basement was poured, he was on vacation. Well so was the other concrete guy. So who in the world would pour a slab without two of their concrete guys?

I'm not concerned about how long he stays in business.