Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > The Break Room > Off Topic

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-02-2010, 03:51 PM   #1
bsa_bob

Rewards Points: 0
Share |
Unhappy

New Tops in the kitchen. Know anybody i can call?

Hi guys.Iam tryin to get some estimates on counter tops. I live in lower michigan , just above toledo, If you might be from around here, and know someone who i can trust to do this project .I'm getting such varied estimates all on the same materials.i think i need some help. By all means call me .................bob s

Which is the better way to go laminate, corian or acrylic tops, any recome; on who can help with this??

Last edited by bsa_bob; 11-02-2010 at 05:00 PM. Reason: better ad
bsa_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 08:11 PM   #2

Pick a countertop you like and can afford. The generalities of the post are impossible to address.
Getting an estimate for a top is not a Herculean task the last time I checked.
Ron

Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 11:15 PM   #3

Laminate.
I charge $350 plus travel plus material.

Should be well under $5,000.00
jlhaslip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 07:49 AM   #4
bsa_bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron6519 View Post
Pick a countertop you like and can afford. The generalities of the post are impossible to address.
Getting an estimate for a top is not a Herculean task the last time I checked.
Ron
Sorry to bother you guys. but once you get ripped off.you comedians! you don't forget it,
Old 11-06-2010, 08:42 AM   #5
the Musigician

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsa_bob View Post
I am trying to get some estimates on counter tops.

I'm getting such varied estimates all on the same materials.
Trying to get?.... getting....???
It seems to me as if you have a handle on the situation, you're just stressing on the differences in prices.
Major home improvements have that effect on most people, me included..... Keep trying until you find someone you think you'll be happy with, both for price and quality, check their references and hire them!
However, this is a DIY site, not a "how much should it cost?" site.
If you should decide to do it yourself, we'd be happy to walk you through any problems that may arise. (and you'll save $$$$$$$$$!) Po)

DM
Old 11-06-2010, 09:49 AM   #6
bsa_bob

I can do anyting ,repair anything......but my tv.And an automatic transmission. And i could do that if i'd not grown older like i did, I used to be very knowledgeable ,at most everything, and i'm not just a talker. lets get that strait. The point.......main one......was . contractors will tell you bout anything you want to hear, I was a "licensed plumber" most of my life , I have torn out walls, wired, built countertops, etc i have a number of show kars and bikes,i bulit from scratch!!!50 merc, 32 ford coupe, and so on. ....but alas . i got older and have had many operations, by body now..does not co-operate with my abilities,
So CAN'T do it myself !...unless she wants to wait an eternity, to finish it.that jus ain't happenin.and thank you for offering to"walk me thru it". I have jus got to check on each contractor, i entertain.At my age ....you just want a good job at a reasonable price.And who better to ask..than a group of people that have ..."been there done that" particular project

So lighten up just abit if i don't word it jus like you want to hear it..OK
cheers bob s PS if you really don't want to help, then thats ok too. Have a great saturday!!
Old 11-06-2010, 11:05 AM   #7

On a serious note...

Find a local hardware store or lumber yard and inquire at their Contractor's desk about finding a local, reputable contractor.
As for the product to use, what do you have now?
Will the budget allow for Corian?
jlhaslip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 12:35 PM   #8
bsa_bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlhaslip View Post
On a serious note...

Find a local hardware store or lumber yard and inquire at their Contractor's desk about finding a local, reputable contractor.
As for the product to use, what do you have now?
Will the budget allow for Corian?
No corian is out of the question.less i find a floor man who has a good price for me. I JUST CAME BACK FROM THE FLOORING STORE, AND HE GAVE ME SOME COUNTERMEN I CAN GET QUOTES FROM. NOT YELLING I FORGOT THE CAP KEY AGAIN. So now i'll call them monday, and see what i can get going, on this project. In answer to your question,......... before we have had "formica laminate".Its 35 years old and still looks decent...but white gets so you can't clean it good anymore.thanks jhaslip appreciate the inquirey, if you have something to share with me go ahead i'm listening cheers bob s
Old 11-06-2010, 01:07 PM   #9
Wire Chewer

There is a large variety of tops out there from very cheap to very expensive. If you want something half decent but don't want to pay much, go with the lower end line of laminate. I just got mine from Rona. Was around 700 bucks and after a year there are no signs of any defects or anything of that sort. The more expensive stuff may be more durable but counters arn't woodworking benches. You don't need something that can survive all sorts of brute forces.

Red Squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 02:46 PM   #10
bsa_bob

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Squirrel View Post
There is a large variety of tops out there from very cheap to very expensive. If you want something half decent but don't want to pay much, go with the lower end line of laminate. I just got mine from Rona. Was around 700 bucks and after a year there are no signs of any defects or anything of that sort. The more expensive stuff may be more durable but counters arn't woodworking benches. You don't need something that can survive all sorts of brute forces.

Thi is exactly what i told my wife about buying the expensive tops, Nothing serious happens on these tops, laminate is good. She likes your red thanks for the time you spent helping me my friend bob s