New Tattoo. - Off Topic - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > The Break Room > Off Topic

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-15-2012, 04:38 PM   #1
I'm Your Huckleberry

Rewards Points: 2,220

New tattoo.

Advertisement

Old 06-19-2012, 11:31 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 10

New tattoo.

How much did it hurt and cost?

Advertisement

bballallan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 11:39 PM   #3
I'm Your Huckleberry

New tattoo.

Of the 26 tattooes I now have, on a scale of 1-10 with 10 being the highest pain of all tattooes which the two most painful are on my spine and elbow (bone), about a 4.

$80. $10 tip. 20 minutes including drawing up of the artwork and transferring it to paper and then to my arm and then the actual tat.

It's been years since I've gotten a tattoo which is why I gave it a 4 instead of a 2. Brought back all types of memories and wants. I'll be getting plenty more now.
Old 06-22-2012, 08:10 AM   #4
Kelly "Cupcake Queen"

New tattoo.

You have one on your elbow? ugh, that makes me squirm to think about it. I have a butterfly on my lower back. And it is not called a ***** stamp either! LOL. I hate it when people use that word. It's huge a location of a tattoo.
kolsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 08:42 AM   #5
I'm Your Huckleberry

New tattoo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kolsen View Post
You have one on your elbow? ugh, that makes me squirm to think about it. I have a butterfly on my lower back. And it is not called a ***** stamp either! LOL. I hate it when people use that word. It's huge a location of a tattoo.
Pics or it didn't happen.
drtbk4ever (06-27-2012)
Old 06-26-2012, 04:07 AM   #6

New tattoo.

I'm so on the fence about getting a tattoo. I have it all picked out, but now not having a tattoo is almost cooler then having one. I'm still going to do it, from my shoulder to my tricep. This way I can just wear a golf polo and cover it. I am in real estate and sometime I show houses and being tattooed might make some people feel weird.

I also heard it was addicting, like a potato chip, you can't just get one!!
walthill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 01:39 AM   #7
I'm Your Huckleberry

New tattoo.

Yup, in a good way highly addicting. I have a lot of cover up work to do and plenty of skin to add ink to.

A tattoo in this day and age is neither here nor there. I understand the professional side of things, especially now that I'm older and I'd like to think wiser versus when I was 17-21 and getting inked on my forearms, so just keep them out of public view would be my advice.

I like the look of long sleeve button up shirts regardless but in my trade on an install, my tattoos showing or offending anyone is on the bottom of the totem pole of things to take into consideration.
Old 06-27-2012, 08:44 AM   #8
Pro Flooring Installer

Rewards Points: 2,294

New tattoo.

Never could understand why anyone would want a tattoo. They look awful on old people and the lucky among us get old. I know I would not hire anyone with a lot of tatoos. This is a conservative area. They would not make a good first impression here.
rusty baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 08:59 AM   #9

New tattoo.

Yeah Rusty,

That thinking is definitely antiquated / super conservative. When I lived in Michigan it was a little like that, but now on the East Coast - forget about it. Some of the most professional people are tatt'd and pierced. My accountant, who is actually a partner in his firm has tattoos. I can see them sometimes when I'm in his office and he has pictures of him fishing with his kids, and my girlfriends boss who is the Chief nurse has a sleeve.

If I didn't do business here with people who were tattoo'd or pierced I would be missing out on a lot of good people. Regardless of what you look like, I can get to the bottom of who you are with a few good questions. You will always have preconceived ideas based on books and movies of how a person is or will act, but the key is to understand that they are just that per-conceived. Then try to use an open mind and say if this person looked exactly like (plug in the person you trust the most), would I hire him or do business with them? If the answer is yes - then that should be your answer.

Sometimes that's a lot easier said then done, but it's something we should strive for.
Old 06-27-2012, 09:48 AM   #10
Pro Flooring Installer

New tattoo.

I realize in some areas no one pays attention. But there was an installer here for a short time with a lot of tattoos and I have heard from customers how they were hesitant to allow him in their house. Their are only 23,000 in this county so I can't chance alienating anyone. It's no different than hiring a smoker or drinker. I knew one guy who drank every night, never on the job, but people complained about him smelling like stale alcohol. And I can't hire anyone who smokes on the job because carpet picks up the odor.
Old 06-27-2012, 10:54 AM   #11

New tattoo.

Ahhh Rusty,

I see your point. It's not so much you, but your customers you have to think for. Yep! I totally agree. If I hired a tattooed person I wouldn't have them going to a customers house. You are 100% right. Imagine taking years to build your reputation and business just for some housewife somewhere to say something like, "All his guys have crazy tattoos". BOOM! You would be done that quick. Years of good service down the drain. God forbid they put something like that on Angie's list!!

Very good point!!
Old 06-27-2012, 02:59 PM   #12
Pro Flooring Installer

New tattoo.

When I am doing new houses with only other contractors on the job, tattoos are no problem. Did you know that some retail chains require that tattoos be covered? Some of the places also require all visible piercings be removed.
Old 06-27-2012, 03:10 PM   #13
I'm Your Huckleberry

New tattoo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rusty baker View Post
Never could understand why anyone would want a tattoo. They look awful on old people and the lucky among us get old. I know I would not hire anyone with a lot of tatoos. This is a conservative area. They would not make a good first impression here.
Don't take this the wrong way as in this is not an insult as you have your belief and I have mine, but I wouldn't work for anyone who ever thought like that.

Many people make mistakes, especially at earlier ages. It's very common for those of us who accumulated tattoos at said earlier age to regret that decision as we mature. If someone as small minded as yourself can't accept that than simpy put you are not worth working with or for as all you are doing is what we're taught in kindergarten to not do, judging a boOk by it's cover. At your age in life with that mentality your work, your life your very being continually remains stagnant while the rest of us have long since passed you by.
Old 06-27-2012, 03:16 PM   #14
Pro Flooring Installer

New tattoo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Holliday View Post
Don't take this the wrong way as in this is not an insult as you have your belief and I have mine, but I wouldn't work for anyone who ever thought like that.

Many people make mistakes, especially at earlier ages. It's very common for those of us who accumulated tattoos at said earlier age to regret that decision as we mature. If someone as small minded as yourself can't accept that than simpy put you are not worth working with or for as all you are doing is what we're taught in kindergarten to not do, judging a boOk by it's cover. At your age in life with that mentality your work, your life your very being continually remains stagnant while the rest of us have long since passed you by.
The tatoos don't bother me, but would cost me customers.
Old 06-27-2012, 03:21 PM   #15
I'm Your Huckleberry

New tattoo.

Then it depends on the individual and how they behave. I have had a few yuppie scum at first look at me funny but as soOn as I start talking, of which I explain myself being young once and regrettably not thinking of my future back then, they then realize how they are lucky to have me in their home repairing their hvac system, and their views on tattood people change. You can't simply group all tattoo'd people into one category, it's highly childish.

Find people like that (me) and you won't have to worry about any customer.

Advertisement

Last edited by Doc Holliday; 06-27-2012 at 03:28 PM.
Doc Holliday is offline   Reply With Quote