New Project - Battleship New Jersey Display - Off Topic - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > The Break Room > Off Topic

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-12-2013, 10:02 AM   #1
Jack of all - master none

Rewards Points: 528

New project - Battleship New Jersey display

Not really a project showcase thread - because I haven't started the project yet.

I have some new wall art in the works. Found some declassified blueprints of the battleship USS New Jersey, BB62. I'm going to build a frame for this and have some glass cut and make a nice wall presentation.

Besides being a cool thing - it's HUGE (bananas for scale)

I have the full plan set, but all 18 panels would be a bit ridiculous, so I choose 2 and put them above below, then printed (I have access to a roll plotter). The top is the ship's profile, the bottom is all the rooms in the ship overlaid on the profile. The New Jersey is the most decorated battleship in naval history. Fought in WWII, Korea, Vietnam, but retired as the Gulf War broke out, so it missed out on that one while 2 of her sister ships shot Tomahawks at Saddam.

I have the phone number of a glass place that will cut glass to size, so I need to call and see how much a 36"x70" piece of glass will be. Then I have to figure out how to get that piece of glass home without breaking it. I don't want to spend a TON on this project, so I'm thinking of some select-grade 2x2s for the frame. I'll put a fancy routed-edge on the part that overlaps the glass.

For something of this size, you can't get mat-board. So, that means I'll be making my own. I think I'm going to get a piece of 1/8" hardboard, and cut 2 "windows" in it for each one of these pictures. Then, pick out a nice roll of fabric from the fabric store and use some spray-adhesive to affix it to the front of the mat board, and trim out the fabric in the middle. I'll sandwich the print between that and another piece of 1/8" hardboard on the backside. So from the back going forward would be:

1/8" hardboard - print - 1/8" hardboard with cutouts - fabric - glass.

Thoughts?

Advertisement

hyunelan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 10:09 AM   #2
Mod

Rewards Points: 2,514

Sounds like fun. I'd probably go with 2x3 for the frame though but that's just me.

Advertisement

Old 06-12-2013, 10:16 AM   #3
JOATMON

Rewards Points: 2,612

Those are pretty cool.....they are going to make for a good size wall covering.

I'm racking my brain trying to think of what the best looking type of frame would be......it needs a 'navy' look to it.

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 10:17 AM   #4
JOATMON

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwikfishron View Post
Sounds like fun. I'd probably go with 2x3 for the frame though but that's just me.
Those look like E-size drawings....big b.....s....if you cut them down you loose quite a bit....

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
Old 06-12-2013, 10:25 AM   #5

I think he was talking size of wood for the frame construction, not overall frame size.

Arch-E is 36x48, this is about 2' longer than that. I found some older plans (WWI era) that were over 8' long in original size - too long to hang in the area I want to put this.
Old 06-12-2013, 10:43 AM   #6
Exterior Construction

Rewards Points: 3,232

Love it.

Can't wait to see updates.
Windows on Wash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 10:49 AM   #7
JOATMON

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyunelan2 View Post
I think he was talking size of wood for the frame construction, not overall frame size.

Arch-E is 36x48, this is about 2' longer than that. I found some older plans (WWI era) that were over 8' long in original size - too long to hang in the area I want to put this.
Crap...your right.....I have to stop multitasking.....

Old 06-12-2013, 11:04 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddawg16 View Post
I'm racking my brain trying to think of what the best looking type of frame would be......it needs a 'navy' look to it.

Maybe inlay some sort of rope moulding into the frame? I could route out a gap to insert some 1/2" rope moulding.

Old 06-13-2013, 06:20 AM   #9
Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyunelan2 View Post
Maybe inlay some sort of rope moulding into the frame? I could route out a gap to insert some 1/2" rope moulding.

That would be a tedious inlay unless you're talking about routing out a slot and just dropping it in. If that's the case you may not be pleased with all of the little gaps. Leaving the rope proud of the frame a little bit would be a nice detail adding depth.
Old 06-13-2013, 10:23 AM   #10

That's a good point about gaps if I routed in a slot - hadn't considered that.
Old 06-13-2013, 10:29 AM   #11
JOATMON

I like the rope idea....but why not use real rope? Make a frame out of rough cut cedar, say 1x2....nail rope, say 1/4" along the inside edge......or larger 1/2" around the outside.

Old 06-13-2013, 10:38 AM   #12
Mod

You could just get half rope and plant in on the face. They make flexible stuff too so you wouldn't have to do straight lines.

Last edited by kwikfishron; 06-13-2013 at 10:40 AM.
kwikfishron is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 11:37 AM   #13

Rewards Points: 3,468

ads overlaying post. Can't see it properly.
Old 06-13-2013, 03:36 PM   #14
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Rewards Points: 2,000

You are going to have to cross brace something 3xclose to 6' or it will warp. You might be better off with some metal trim molding?

For large gallery paper pieces I have often used tiny 1/16-1/8" super magnets and no molding. Drill/fit flathead screws flush with the wall surface around the perimeter intervals. Then use tiny super magnets to stretch and hold the paper flat to the wall by engaging the screw heads through the paper. See the large Prismacolor pencil drawing on the wall in this gallery? I used this method for it. Slightly curled edge along the bottom was not my idea but that of the artist. The rest is perfectly flat. You would not notice the magnet until you were right on top of them.

You could then float a thin piece of plex or lexan over the top of the prints for protection. Use a drill for plastic and screw anchors in the wall. Use nylon or plastic spacers to elevate the plex from the paper surface. I guess you could then trim everything out with rope if you wanted but it might be a bit much. The point is with the art fixed to the wall with magnets, you could trim it in place and not have the weight of molding---just anchor it to the wall too.

Even if you use metal or wood frame molding, a thin piece of glass 70" long could be problematic and might crack (or fracture) easily when flexed. I would use plex, not glass, no matter how you present the piece. I think stepping up to thicker glass will just make it too heavy.
Attached Thumbnails
New project - Battleship New Jersey display-super-magnet.jpg   New project - Battleship New Jersey display-perimiter-magnets.jpg  

Last edited by user1007; 06-13-2013 at 04:22 PM.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 05:18 PM   #15

If the paper were a thicker/better grade, that might be possible. As it is, it is thinner blueprint/plan style paper, and exposed on a wall, it wouldn't look very good. At the least, it needs to be matted with a piece of something over it. The build-on-wall option is something to consider though.

For information's sake, a piece of glass 36x70 in 3/16" thickness would be 42 pounds. Standard picture frame glass is 3/32". So, it would be heavy, but not impossibly so.

For cross bracing, I was toying with the following idea: Build the rectangle frame, lay in the glass, 1/8" mat board, picture, hardboard backer, then glue-up some dimensional wood across the back. This example is with two 1/2"x2-2-1/2" braces.

Like this:

View of the front (matboard making 2 'windows' for the displays):

View of the 1/8" backer - 1/8" mat - 3/16" glass sandwich that would be inside the frame:

EDIT: I did a final weight calculation. Using poplar 2x3s for the frame, the total weight of this whole thing will be right under 70 pounds. With something heavier like Oak, it would add about 5 pounds.

Advertisement

Last edited by hyunelan2; 06-13-2013 at 05:33 PM.