Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Community > Off Topic

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-28-2010, 03:30 PM   #1

Share |

New house drywall DISASTER

Hello everyone,

I am new to this site, and I figured I would see what peoples opinions were regarding my issue. Recently, within the last 4 months, I moved into my new house that I had built. The sheetrock was put in late october early november, and I moved in at the beginning of feb. here is the issue, the sheetrock started to develope a ton of what appeared to be nail pops, long story short it turns out that none of the nails or screws were actually getting loose, but the mud was backing out of the holes. The sheetrock guys have come in twice now and repaired the damages, however, the problem is so immense that it is all over the house. Without exageration there are over 500 of these throughout the house. Here is the situtation, basically the entire inside of the house has to be repainted now, because there is no way touch up will work. The painter said he won't repaint the house for free, because this situation falls well outside of normal touch up etc etc. My question is do I have any legal leg to stand on when I confront the guys that did the sheetrock to have them pay for a painter to come in and repaint the whole house. Of course building a house and the way banks are now adays, all the contractors have been paid in full, including the sheetrock guys. So i would appreciate any advise and information about this. By the way the sheetrock guys were blaming this on wet wood, however the house was dryed in for about 4 months before and the hardwood floor guy metering the subflooring before ever putting down the floor.

Thanks

pharm07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 03:48 PM   #2

Moved to Off-topic since not a DIY issue
Where are you located ?
What sort of warranty/guarantee did you receive (if any) in writing ?

Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 04:12 PM   #3
DIY staff

Boy that is an odd situation--Where are you? Was the job screwed? I've never run into that problem.
There are a couple of pro drywallers here--might be one will chime in--
--Mike--
oh'mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 07:18 PM   #4

is it walls and ceiling or just ceiling
Old 04-29-2010, 03:40 AM   #5
paper hanger and painter

I have seen this a lot and the painter is certainly not to blame. The drywallers, probably not.Wet wood most likely, who's to blame? The builder most likely is who I would go after.
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to chrisn For This Useful Post:
boman47k (04-29-2010)
Old 04-29-2010, 07:14 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuba_Dave View Post
Moved to Off-topic since not a DIY issue
Where are you located ?
What sort of warranty/guarantee did you receive (if any) in writing ?

Well, as far as any kind of warranty in writing there is none. As far as a gaurantee not sure about that either. As far as I know the sheet rockers are responsible to come in and fix what needs to be fixed, and I would imagine this would be covered under the 1 year home owner warrenty that the general contractor is obligated to uphold. But, my question is how far does that warrenty extend? Meaning what exactly is the extent of coverage, and I think this is different in each state?

By the way this is in the state of Kansas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh'mike View Post
Boy that is an odd situation--Where are you? Was the job screwed? I've never run into that problem.
There are a couple of pro drywallers here--might be one will chime in--
--Mike--

I am in Kansas.....The perimeters were nailed and the feilds were screwed, as well as Adhesive was used on the studs.

Also, the house has a geothermal unit which constantly adjusts the temp/humidity inside the house to be optimal. So there were no huge jumps in temps and humidity.
Old 04-29-2010, 07:18 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpolk View Post
is it walls and ceiling or just ceiling
This is just happening on the walls, the ceilings are completely fine, not one anywhere in the ceiling.

Also, I should mention that there were a lot of seams that were visble depending on what angle ambient light hit the walls. So one night i took a flash light and shined it against each wall without any other lights on and noticed almost 50% of the walls had a visible seam where the two sheets of rock joined together. I ended up outlining them all and they remudded them. So i don't know if the finisher ended up sanding way to much off or what is going on??

If there are any GC and professional sheet rock guys looking at this I would appreciate any in put of how I should persue this, and what you guys would did if one of your houses was in this situation.

Thanks
Old 04-29-2010, 07:57 AM   #8

what are the walls built from vs the ceiling
and taking a flashlight to drywall seams in a blacked out house will always find seams you would never see

Last edited by tpolk; 04-29-2010 at 07:59 AM.
tpolk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 11:17 AM   #9

The time of year is interesting. Was the heating system on 24 hrs a day during this part of the construction?
boman47k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 01:00 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by boman47k View Post
The time of year is interesting. Was the heating system on 24 hrs a day during this part of the construction?

Yes the heating was on 24hrs a day, set at 70 when allowing the mud to dry, and then set between 62 and 67 constantly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpolk View Post
what are the walls built from vs the ceiling
and taking a flashlight to drywall seams in a blacked out house will always find seams you would never see

Same type of sheetrock throughout the house. The ceiling is textured so it would be hard to see any if there in fact are any.

As far as the fashlight goes, that doesn't explain the other 50% in which the walls do not show any seams.
Old 05-02-2010, 12:26 AM   #11

were the house ceilings insulated before the drywall got taped ?
was the siding sheething already on before they drywalled/ taped?

there is a small time frame between rocking the ceilings and then taping where the insulator has to sneak in and blow the ceilings ..

its possible ive seen it once or twice the rockers used an automatic screw feeding gun that got grease on the screw heads . any signs of that when they rocked? did the rockers set the screws to deep?? ive also seen oil on screw heads from what im not sure.

how many days did it take them to tape the house? did they let it dry inbetween coats?/ but those are more related to shrinking issues.
oldrivers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 11:42 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by pharm07 View Post
This is just happening on the walls, the ceilings are completely fine, not one anywhere in the ceiling.

Also, I should mention that there were a lot of seams that were visble depending on what angle ambient light hit the walls. So one night i took a flash light and shined it against each wall without any other lights on and noticed almost 50% of the walls had a visible seam where the two sheets of rock joined together. I ended up outlining them all and they remudded them. So i don't know if the finisher ended up sanding way to much off or what is going on??

If there are any GC and professional sheet rock guys looking at this I would appreciate any in put of how I should persue this, and what you guys would did if one of your houses was in this situation.

Thanks

I also had a new home built 500 or more screw heads popped in ever room of my house they fixed them re pained the house they didnt sanded the spots good now i have shank in places in my walls what wouls cause all of this too happen its been a nightmare.
kevinb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 08:22 PM   #13

Wonder if the rock was stored in an unheated garage before being installed?
Nailed the perimeter then scewed the field. You folks that rock everyday, is it possible the field had a bulge in it when it was screwed or maybe the field expanded, if the rock was brought in from an unheated gareage and installed in the heated house?

What little rock I have done, I like to put just enough fasteners in it to hold it momentarily then star in the field and make sure the rock is against the studs.
boman47k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 02:24 PM   #14

Thinking "wet wood" might have been referring to the wood framing. Probably saying if it was wet, as it shrank, the drywall glued to the studs (if it was glued like it should have been) pulled it in and the screw heads pop. Now, drywall guys shouldn't put drywall up if the wood is wet. Any good tradesman will inspect the substrate and should determine if it is appropriate to accept his work.

Painter is right (as long as he's not also the drywall guy) about not repainting for touch up. Trick is to find up how much time he had in touch up and if it was 2 guys for a day, you pay for the material and any more labor than was included for touchup. Paying drywall guy, or any trade, in full without some sort of retainer is always a bad idea. Being able to see seams with a flashlight is always an issue, some can make it better than others. Unless you skim entire wall, you'll see seams with a flashlight.

You could pay a home inspector or some sort of "expert" to come in and look at the issue and give a recommendation. Maybe the drywall company has a rep in the area (don't laugh, I had a glidden rep come out when the prime and finish coats we were applying looked like almost none was applied at all) that could come out. Not only SHOULD they know why the issue happened, but they can determine WHO should fix it. Send that to the drywall guy and tell him if he doesn't fix it on his own, you'll get it fixed by someone else and pursue him for the costs.

At least that way you can move towards resolution of your issue with or without cooperation from the drywall guy.

BMS98 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
holes, mud, nail, paint, pops