New Home Purchase Walk-through - Off Topic - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > The Break Room > Off Topic

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-16-2010, 10:29 AM   #1
Sr Ken

Rewards Points: 10

New home purchase walk-through

Buying a new home cautions.

Pre-sale hype.
"Luxury Condo - You Deserve the Best." Maybe you do but this is not a promise to deliver. Slick ads and fast talk can give the wrong impression.
"Minutes from the Beach" could be 55 minutes. That handsome couple on the sand might be miles away.
"Top Brand Name Appliances" may turn out to be just that, but they can be the very bottom of the popular manufacturer's product line.

The Walk-Through and occupancy.
The walk-through is when the buyer tours the premises with the contractor and is asked to approve and sign off acceptance. Many people aren't prepared for this and the 30 minute walk-through can easily result in missing very costly discoveries until after possession.

If safe and permitted make several critical pre-walk-through tours.
Take along a pad, pen and checklist to note concerns and questions to ask.
Have a knowledgeable friend tag along to help find deficiencies.
Carefully look for flaws, inferior work or product, and omissions.

Photos can come in handy for work that will be covered up. For example pictures of all walls with the wiring and plumbing completed, but before drywall application, can be very useful. You may later wish to drill holes, attach objects or resolve a structural problem. It is a permanent record of what lies hidden.

Advertisement

Last edited by Scuba_Dave; 03-16-2010 at 10:32 AM. Reason: removed links
srken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 11:13 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 250

Very good information. I might add that if the home is in a rural setting, some areas don't require a building inspection. This, with an older home, means a permit is not required for work to be done and I have run into unbelievable problems.
If the home falls in this category, take extra time to inspect!

Advertisement

Giles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 12:31 PM   #3

Great advice. I would make sure and check everything.
BellaJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 01:22 PM   #4
Sr Ken

Another caution to watch for is the unlicensed inspector. They have only recently required certification in my area. If the real estate agent supplies the inspector he may be biased towards a sale for the agent. When I sold my house this was the case, and the inspection was quick, he only dropped into the crawl space and looked around without moving. Ok for me the seller!
Old 03-16-2010, 01:41 PM   #5
Handyguy

Rewards Points: 500
Send a message via Skype™ to Brik

You can hire a home inspector of your choosing, many recommend it for new construction too, write it into your contract. When I built my house I did walk throughs several times a week.

I did a checklist for an annual DIY home inspection, the idea is to head off issues before they become costly repairs. Check it out at
http://www.handyguyspodcast.com/353/...use-inspection
Brik is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Brik For This Useful Post:
cellophane (03-16-2010)
Old 03-16-2010, 03:24 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brik View Post
You can hire a home inspector of your choosing, many recommend it for new construction too, write it into your contract. When I built my house I did walk throughs several times a week.

I did a checklist for an annual DIY home inspection, the idea is to head off issues before they become costly repairs. Check it out at
http://www.handyguyspodcast.com/353/...use-inspection
This is great!

Last edited by cellophane; 03-16-2010 at 03:42 PM.
cellophane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 11:47 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by srken View Post
Another caution to watch for is the unlicensed inspector. They have only recently required certification in my area. If the real estate agent supplies the inspector he may be biased towards a sale for the agent. When I sold my house this was the case, and the inspection was quick, he only dropped into the crawl space and looked around without moving. Ok for me the seller!
I am a home inspector and I would never deliberatly omit possible defects to help push a house thru. In most cases, I represent the buyer and its my responsibility to do a fair and accurate report based on the house in its current condition. My inspection times wont change based on who their agent is. However, if you do take way too long to do inspections and you are too picky in mentioning every little minor thing, you may have a hard time getting another referral from that realtor.

Im sure they may be some unscrupulous inspectors out there as is the case in any industry. In fact, id be more concerned with inspectors that didnt know what they were doing rather than ones that were biased or shady!
toeey1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 09:54 AM   #8
Sr Ken

Well stated Toeey.
Quote:
Im sure there may be some unscrupulous inspectors out there as is the case in any industry.
The bad should not taint the rest of the industry. People are generally fair and then there are the few . . .

Advertisement

Tags
buy , home , tips , walk-through