Neighbor From Hell - Off Topic - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > The Break Room > Off Topic

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Closed Thread

Old 09-06-2010, 03:23 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Neighbor from hell

I have a very noisey neighbour who lives above me in a rental apartment. They have no carpeting in their apartment and they walk VERY HARD on the hardwood floors and it's driving me absolutely crazy. I have talked to management about this but there is not much they can do unfortunately. Is there anything I can use on my ceiling to absorb this noise? Keeping in mind that it's an apartment building so I can't use anything that would require any type of construction. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated - thank you.

Advertisement

Old 09-06-2010, 04:59 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 25

Neighbor from hell

Have you considered writing a letter of complaint and delivering it to your neighbor from hell, personally?

Just kidding.

I had this same problem in my old place before I bought my house. My approach was just to try to grin and bear it while my loan application was going trough underwriting. IE, based on my experience, there's no much you can do other than get the heck out of there.

Advertisement

Old 09-06-2010, 06:26 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 258

Neighbor from hell

Years ago when I lived in an upstairs apartment, the neighbor below me complained constantly about me "stomping" on the floor. I'm not a big dude, and I certainly don't stomp. But I got tired of her pounding the ceiling with a broomstick every time I walked on my floor. Years later I lived in the downstairs apartment and realized just how loud it sounded when people walked across that upstairs floor.

Not much you can do about it...except maybe send a gift box to your neighbor with some Dearfoam slippers inside.
Old 09-06-2010, 06:40 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,000

Neighbor from hell

Almost every Apt I ever rented I was on the top floor
Old 09-06-2010, 09:24 PM   #5
Pro Flooring Installer

Rewards Points: 2,298

Neighbor from hell

Turn up your stereo with lots of base.
Old 09-07-2010, 04:24 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 274

Neighbor from hell

Quote:
Originally Posted by spaceman spif View Post

Not much you can do about it...except maybe send a gift box to your neighbor with some Dearfoam slippers inside.

We have up and down units here but they are carpeted. As already mentioned, some people just walk louder than others w/o realizing it.
The next time, get a townhome unit where you have both floors as there
is really nothing you can do except that slipper idea.
Old 09-07-2010, 04:58 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 150

Neighbor from hell

There is a list as long as my arm of criminal and civil legal scenarios you can hang over your neighbor's head if he keeps it up. I would give him one warning and one warning only, and then either contact law enforcement or your attorney or both.

Last edited by Handy Vinny; 09-07-2010 at 05:00 PM.
Old 09-07-2010, 05:00 PM   #8

Location: Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota - Latitude 45.057 Longitude -93.074
Rewards Points: 2,136

Neighbor from hell

I have the curse of great hearing despite my age and it is very troublesome at times.

I own a two story townhouse unit. When I am in my office one lower level, I can hear when one of the cats gets off the sofa upstairs and walks across the carpeted floor. I can even hear when he starts down the stairs, so it gets annoying. I cannot hear the adjacent units (block walls) except the vibrations from the garage door openers.

I can hear my wife's daughter over the cell phone where the phone is upstairs and they are talking, but my wife cannot hear me well unless I yell very loudly.

Bottom line is that every place is different and people have different senses.

Dick
Old 09-07-2010, 07:19 PM   #9

Neighbor from hell

Quote:
Originally Posted by concretemasonry View Post
I have the curse of great hearing despite my age and it is very troublesome at times.
I feel very bad for you, sir. But have you considered that it might not be so much your keen hearing, as the fact that the property's other inhabitants may just be behaving in a way that is disrespectful and/or inconsiderate? Just a question.
Old 09-07-2010, 08:44 PM   #10
Old School

Location: St. Petersburg, FL Minds of moderate caliber ordinarily condemn everything which is beyond them.

Neighbor from hell

Good grief, Vinny. Give it a rest. I mean... REALLY. An inconsiderate cat dissin' its owner?
Old 09-07-2010, 08:50 PM   #11

Neighbor from hell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie T View Post
Good grief, Vinny. Give it a rest. I mean... REALLY. An inconsiderate cat dissin' its owner?
I was not referring to the cat. I am sorry if that was not clear.
Old 09-08-2010, 03:26 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 274

Neighbor from hell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handy Vinny View Post
There is a list as long as my arm of criminal and civil legal scenarios you can hang over your neighbor's head if he keeps it up. I would give him one warning and one warning only, and then either contact law enforcement or your attorney or both.
<I have a very noisey neighbour who lives above me in a rental apartment. They have no carpeting in their apartment and they walk VERY HARD on the hardwood floors and it's driving me absolutely crazy.>
I'd like to hear just one criminal offence. Since when is someone walking loudly against the law?
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Tizzer For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (09-09-2010), Scuba_Dave (09-08-2010), Willie T (09-08-2010)
Old 09-08-2010, 06:12 PM   #13

Rewards Points: 25

Neighbor from hell

Quote:
I feel very bad for you, sir. But have you considered that it might not be so much your keen hearing, as the fact that the property's other inhabitants may just be behaving in a way that is disrespectful and/or inconsiderate? Just a question.
I'm new here, but I gotta say that "Handy" Vinny comes off as an Alan Keyes kind of person because he eloquently defends ridiculous stances, revealing a lot of embarrassing details about himself in the process. I actually know a few people like this.

Argumentative people like this end up not having friends because they attack their critics and their friends alike because something is missing in their life. ---Just like Alan Keyes.
Old 09-08-2010, 06:14 PM   #14

Neighbor from hell

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie T View Post
Quote:
I was not referring to the cat. I am sorry if that was not clear.
Of course he wasn't referring to the cat
He thinks the wife & daughter are inconsiderate
Old 09-09-2010, 11:53 AM   #15

Neighbor from hell

Very insightful. Yes, Ambassador Alan Keyes is one of my intellectual heroes, although I can no longer say he is one of my political heroes because he has not held significant public office in over 20-years. May I ask why and how, exactly, you were able to draw such a conclusion? You see, this is yet another matter I would like to explore in this forum, but even though the "Off Topic" threads provide the appropriate context for such discussion, I will not pursue the issue in the interest of not ruffling any feathers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tizzer View Post
I'd like to hear just one criminal offence. Since when is someone walking loudly against the law?
As for criminal and or legal scenarios that can be "used" to quiet noisy neighbors, I will say this:

Apparently, sir, you have never heard of Common Law or "common scolds" (which all states have), stemming from any variety of public profanity, excessive noise, and disorderly conduct

Advertisement

Last edited by Handy Vinny; 09-09-2010 at 02:04 PM.
Closed Thread