Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Community > Off Topic

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-11-2009, 07:47 AM   #1

Share |

Navigon gps

Last week I purchased a Navigon gps unit from a local electronics discount retail store. Only did a brief web check and saw it thatn it had inovative features. The price was very reasonabe. After purchase, I investigated more closely and found out that the company that makes it no longer markets gps units in the US. The company disconnected its tech support phone number and can only be reached by e mail. I decided not to break the factory seal on the box. I sent a test e mail asking about warranty coverage to see if I would get a response from tech support. I returned the unit to the store for a refund the next day. It's been four days and tech support has not responded. According to the comments by others who have purchased Navigon gps units, I won't be receiving any meaningful reply ever. And according to some comments its likely that US map updates may not be forthcoming as well.
I am glad I got my refund. To me this episode shows that you have to be a careful shopper. I think the manufaturer may not be playing fair. I suspect (but can't be sure) that those who sell this gps are aware of the situation. I suppose they have a big inventory and can't bear to get stuck with unsold products. The deep discount should have been a clue. The disconnecting of the tech support phone was a red flag. and the failure to respond to my e mail was conclusive proof (to me) that this bargain was no bargain.

retired guy 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 08:01 AM   #2

Navigon gps

I looked at the Navigons at first and really liked the features, but decided to go with the Garmin for better support and accessories.

jerryh3 is offline   Reply With Quote