Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > The Break Room > Off Topic

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-27-2012, 07:55 PM   #1
Mod

Rewards Points: 2,270

Nascar 2012

Green Green Green Go 16.

Well, only a day and a half late but we’re points racing again.

Leave you’re NASCAR comments here.

So sorry about your luck JJ.

Old 02-27-2012, 09:30 PM   #2
Mod

Rewards Points: 2,270

Nascar 2012

WOW……..can you believe that chit? Red flag because jet fuel is melting the track.

When you think you’ve seen it all. good job 42

Old 02-29-2012, 09:45 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 250

Nascar 2012

I had the DVR set since I couldnt be home. Walked in the door and the phone was ringing. It was a friend talking about the fire, just happened. Turned it it on, and couldnt believe it. No point in watching from the beginning. I thought NASCAR car did a good job cleaning it up. I just cant watch the crashfest races. The current set up is way worse than the 2 car draft of last year.
JackDidley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 09:18 PM   #4
ltd

Rewards Points: 504

Nascar 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Diddly View Post
I had the DVR set since I couldn't be home. Walked in the door and the phone was ringing. It was a friend talking about the fire, just happened. Turned it it on, and couldn't believe it. No point in watching from the beginning. I thought NASCAR car did a good job cleaning it up. I just cant watch the crashfest races. The current set up is way worse than the 2 car draft of last year.
i didn't like the 2 car tandem of last year .i do agree to many wrecks,they still have work to do on the set up .thank God for the safer barriers.
ltd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 09:42 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 1,002

Nascar 2012

I root for Joey Lagano. Pretty exciting races all week. If I heard it right on race hub, there were 119 cars totaled from thursday through monday. I believe it. Lot of money trashed out there. I didn't really care for the two car draft. Was fun to watch, but really isn't racing. I think nascar has their head up their a$$ by over-regulating everything. The cars are all to close to being clones. Let the guys figure out how to make them go faster and have an edge, like in the old days. With the fuel injection now, does anybody know if the crews are allowed to remap their engines for each race at the different type tracks? Or is the computer sealed? All in all, pretty wild race monday. When Juan pablo 'it's not my fault' escobar hit the truck, I thought for sure the track would melt. I too thought the nascar track guys did an excellent job cleaning up the mess. Looking forward to next week and some regular racing, although I don't like the idea of them being able to cut the corner there.
Mike Hawkins
firehawkmph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 09:55 PM   #6

Location: Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota - Latitude 45.057 Longitude -93.074
Rewards Points: 2,086

Nascar 2012

Just keep in mind that the "cars" are really non-descriptive tanks with sheet metal and engines that can be changed easily and usually only turn left until there is yellow-white-green-checked finish to drag out the race for more commercials. Also, they do not run when it rains, so they are either prima-donnas or prefer to drag things out to let the "analysts" take over.

I never get amazed with the large number of "commentators/informed persons" that spout out short 3 sentence comments on a particular car within 15 seconds to make room for more commercials.

NASCAR has too much preplanning and team scheduling and intentional "accidents" to shift the running order and spacing. - And still, it is a "peanuts" business in racing and is pretty artificial.

Other types of racing are real racing - Dirt track ovals, Formula 1 (shortest time races on TV, biggest audience and biggest bucks and more fans) and the European road racing on back roads where everyone is insane and there are few fans, but good sponsors/owners.

Dick
concretemasonry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 07:37 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 2,634

Nascar 2012

I believe they are allowed to remap the engines even during the race. However they must go to the garage to hook up the computer. No laptop connections on pit road.
Old 03-02-2012, 02:27 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 1,002

Nascar 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by joed View Post
I believe they are allowed to remap the engines even during the race. However they must go to the garage to hook up the computer. No laptop connections on pit road.
If they are allowed to remap during the race, I don't see why they couldn't do it on pit road. Nascar always seems like they have to control every single thing they do. I used to like watching the old races on ESPN classic. They were from the 60s - early 80s. I liked when they ran production cars.
Mike Hawkins
firehawkmph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 02:37 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 2,634

Nascar 2012

Looks like no adjustments during the race. Found this article.

http://www.nascar.com/news/120207/fu...ies/index.html

Quote:
But teams will be allowed to download data after practice and qualifying and make adjustments to the EFI system. What they won't be able to do, however, is read data during a race, and -- realizing that fuel mileage may determine the outcome, for example -- reset their systems to a mapping more conducive to fuel conservation.

Accordingly, plugging into the EFI system adds an additional layer to NASCAR's inspection process. Before a race, the ECUs will be "locked" to one configuration for the duration. After the event, NASCAR will inspect the top five and random cars.
firehawkmph (03-02-2012)
Old 03-02-2012, 03:22 PM   #10

Location: Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota - Latitude 45.057 Longitude -93.074
Rewards Points: 2,086

Nascar 2012

joed -

No adjustments during a NASCAR race is a great idea. If you cannot make the car right after a week or two of preparation it is not worth wining with it, tweaking will not do much in a race with so many cautions and minutes in the pits. You bring the car and if you retune the car, you ignore the importance of the driver using the car that should have been prepared properly after several weeks of numerous advance laps and adjusting.

Formula 1 is totally different. Any adjustments are onboard and you bring a car (usually a maximum of 22 allowed) set up for the track and just run it to the end. No fuel stops because you have to run to the end with fuel load you started with, but it is a large part of the car and affects handling and tire wear and you have to guess about the weather because they usually race in whatever the weather is and most rain in not a major factor. Pits stops are about 5 seconds for a complete tire change, yellow flags (except for sectors on a 2.5 - 4 mile lap) are infrequent and the average speed is down to 125 mph and any other problems take the fragile (1200#) cars out of the race. Any mechanical failures usually put you out of a race, but there is requirement to use 2 of the tire types supplied during a race. They just let the drivers do their job and try to penalize team tactics except for a 1-2 finish photo for publicity. - It is a totally different type of racing that I enjoy in addition to real dirt track racing, but it is costly ($150-$700 /race if available) to see in person and the TV is uncomfortable and coverage is international, so you have to watch at 1:00 AM or 7:00 AM (live only) because it is such a huge internatioanl event. Since there are no flags stopping the race and they will run in the rain, the TV coverage time is quite predictable.

I spent a lot of time in VA and saw some great races at dirt tracks in VA and NC where the drivers are the reason for winning and enjoyed every minute. I did get into the pits at Richmond for a NASCAR race or two and also enjoyed the event and atmosphere.

Dick

concretemasonry is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to concretemasonry For This Useful Post:
firehawkmph (03-02-2012)