My Rant For The Day--Unwanted Calls - Off Topic - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > The Break Room > Off Topic

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-19-2011, 11:19 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 250

My Rant for the day--Unwanted Calls

I have been on DNC list for years and keep it up to date and I have an answer machine.
This month I have received 42 calls of which 26 were unwanted! I simply don't answer and then do a Google search for the number. I then file a complaint with DNC.
Over a period of three months I have filed three complaint for the same number!!
What has really got me Pi***d is that yesterday, I received a call that was LOCAL and came with the same message that has been recorded numerous times, with the option of pressing "1" to stop calls or "3" to speak to a rep. For the first time I pressed "3" and after 10 rings some S*B answered wanting to lower my interest rate
After I told him I had never paid a dime of interest he hung up.
There must be a reason I am receiving more the normal amount of calls but I don't know how to stop them.
I want to just drop the land line and use my cell but that will create other problems.

Advertisement

Giles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 11:56 AM   #2
Learning by Doing

Rewards Points: 2,000

Telephone solicitors must respond to this statement: "Take my name and number off your calling list." They have 30 days to do so. Also signing up for the Do Not Call list helps but isn't 100% protection.

There are a few complications:

1. Charities are not required to follow this rule.

2. People who are not making 'sales calls' are exempt, like that awesome robo-call from the cruise company to let you know you've 'won' a cruise.

3. Some things trigger new calls. When we requested a mortgage company pull our credit for a re-finance federal law allows ANY mortgage company to access this info. Within 24 hours we received 40 calls from mortgage companies.

Here are some hints:
1. Make sure you have all variations (AKAs) of your name on the DNC list.

2. Do not give your phone number out unless the person/organization contractually agrees not to sell your phone number. If your number 'slips' into the system it takes a while to stop getting calls.

3. Report harassing robo calls to local or state's attorney (the cruise company and car warranty service people are especially problematic in our area)

4. Answer calls and tell them to take your name and number off your calling list. Be polite. Legal operations know this 'code' and will back off when you say it. If they're jerks they may be an off-shore operation.

5. I label my caller ID when I get 'hang-ups' or 'please hold for operator' calls. I got bored after 'HangUp' and 'HangUp2' so now I'm more creative (and obscene ). This way I don't bother with them.

Advertisement

Old 05-19-2011, 12:13 PM   #3

Thanks--Leah. But why do I have to continue filing a complaint with DNC for the same number?
Also how did I get a LOCAL call with same information as the "all O" calls I have received.
I have "call blocking" for my maximum number of call. I have also subscribed to "No Identity" rejection of calls and that doesn't work!
All the phone company says is that they are sorry!
These people making these unwanted calls are smarter then the DNC or the phone company---WHAT A SHAME!!!!!
Old 05-19-2011, 12:19 PM   #4
Learning by Doing

Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giles View Post
Thanks--Leah. But why do I have to continue filing a complaint with DNC for the same number?
Also how did I get a LOCAL call with same information as the "all O" calls I have received.
I have "call blocking" for my maximum number of call. I have also subscribed to "No Identity" rejection of calls and that doesn't work!
All the phone company says is that they are sorry!
These people making these unwanted calls are smarter then the DNC or the phone company---WHAT A SHAME!!!!!
The part of it that scares me are the offshore scams. Not that I'm going to fall victim to a nigerian. But if I hang up on them, I assume that more than 50% of people hang up on them. Who falls victim?

It must be worth it, or they wouldn't do it. As I see it, it may be the biggest downfall of essentially free long distance phone service.
Old 05-19-2011, 12:57 PM   #5
Pro Flooring Installer

Rewards Points: 2,314

I get 6-8 calls a week from "Card Services", wanting to lower my interest rate. When I explain that I don't do credit cards, they hang up. Then call me again. The last few times, the call has come from a local residential number. I have started getting obscene with them. Doesn't faze them. We are on the no call list and I have even turned the info over to the A. G. 's office. I can't really change numbers because this has been by business number, too for the last 20 years. I would starve before I would work as a telemarketer.
rusty baker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 01:09 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by rusty baker View Post
I get 6-8 calls a week from "Card Services", wanting to lower my interest rate. When I explain that I don't do credit cards, they hang up. Then call me again. The last few times, the call has come from a local residential number. I have started getting obscene with them. Doesn't faze them. We are on the no call list and I have even turned the info over to the A. G. 's office. I can't really change numbers because this has been by business number, too for the last 20 years. I would starve before I would work as a telemarketer.
I think one of the greatest problems is that the phone company makes money on these calls.
Old 05-19-2011, 04:50 PM   #7
NACE Coating Inspector

Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by rusty baker View Post
i get these calls from card services and google. im on the do not call list also. i was told that buisiness phones do not apply on the dnc list. thats fine but these calls are coming to my non-bus phone. it sucks that you cant call them back. i do get bored watching paint dry at 3am on night projects.
mustangmike3789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 04:55 PM   #8
Wire Chewer

Rewards Points: 2,020

Not sure about the states but I know the DNCL here has so many exceptions that it's nearly worthless. I've gotten to a point where I just hang up on them. Or I play games, like "how long will they hold?" and try with different background musics ranging from elevator music to death metal. They seem to actually stay longer on hold when it's elevator music. I'd have to make some graphs and have a better comparision. :P
Red Squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Red Squirrel For This Useful Post:
mustangmike3789 (05-19-2011)
Old 05-23-2011, 07:39 AM   #9

Rewards Points: 75

I must be lucky because *touch wood* I don't recieve many unsolicited calls - and that's despite a competitioning hobby and the fact I have inputted my mobile number all over the internet.

One possible theory I have is that companies don't like ringing mobiles, so perhaps changing landline numbers and then handing out a mobile number when a number is necessary may help?
amyevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 04:07 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 2,352

I was getting calls from 'Card Services' too. Once a day between noon and 2:30 pm. At first I hung up on them. Then I started pushing the number they gave to speak to a representative. As soon as they'd answer, I'd ask them to take me off of their calling list. They hung up on me every time.

So last week I called the FCC and gave them the phone number that was on my caller ID. He said that they can't be traced by those numbers because they use fake phone numbers. He suggested I call the FTC (?) and let them know about it. They keep track of where the calls are made.

I called them and they took the information. But I'm sure it was a waste of my time. They told me the same information and said it's not a real company. All they're doing is trying to get you to give them your social security number.

They haven't called this week... yet.

When they call again, I'm going to play along as if I'm interested and keep them on the phone for a while.
gma2rjc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 05:02 PM   #11
uva uvam videndo variafit

Rewards Points: 500

I had a friend years ago that when the caller asked him how he was doing, he would tell them everything that was going on - girl friend left me, dog got ran over, stubbed my toe, etc. Eventually the caller would hang up.
WirelessG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 05:34 PM   #12
Wire Chewer

Rewards Points: 2,020

Quote:
Originally Posted by WirelessG View Post
I had a friend years ago that when the caller asked him how he was doing, he would tell them everything that was going on - girl friend left me, dog got ran over, stubbed my toe, etc. Eventually the caller would hang up.
lol that is awesome. I have to try that.
Red Squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 05:46 PM   #13

UPDATE---About three weeks ago, I was getting two a day. Same recording about lowering my CC rates. Then I received a LOCAL CALL--answered it and got the SAME message. I punched number 3 to speak to a rep and after 10 rings, some "fast talking nut" answered. I asked him what the he@@ he wanted, he paused and started his sell pitch. I interupted him and told him I have never paid a dime of interest on a credit card (TRUE) and he hung up.
Have not had a call since (knock-on-wood)
Old 06-04-2011, 11:18 AM   #14

Rewards Points: 2,352

Aaaaaah! That was fun. I got another call from them this morning and kept the guy on the phone for 2 or 3 minutes asking stupid questions. Then, when he was talking, I hung up on HIM.

Their requirements: you must owe more than $4,500 on your credit card and be paying at least 14.99% interest.

I suppose they were going to offer a much better interest rate... say, 14.98%.
gma2rjc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 11:24 AM   #15
Pro Flooring Installer

Rewards Points: 2,314

The card calls we get, as soon as you try to ask them to remove your number or try to explain to them that you don't do credit cards, they hang up. Then they call again later. They called twice yesterday. I need to learn some new curse words.

Advertisement

rusty baker is online now   Reply With Quote