Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > The Break Room > Off Topic

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-06-2011, 09:33 PM   #1

Share |

My new alarm system...

I know some folks here like to see pictures of cats/dogs/etc, so thought I'd share a picture of our pooch. She's our home security system too... Very good, maybe too good, at alerting us to people coming up to the house. Silent about other animals, though. Her name is Sydney. We adopted her from a coworker of mine. His mother in law passed away and Syd was her dog, now bound for the pound. We tried her for a week and she's an angel with the kids. Mostly Blue Heeler I guess, something else mixed in.

Marqed97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 09:36 PM   #2

My new alarm system...

Helps if I add the photo, duh...
Attached Images

Old 08-10-2011, 12:27 PM   #3
uva uvam videndo variafit

My new alarm system...

Dogs are great - especially those that are well trained and properly treated by their owners.
WirelessG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 12:49 PM   #4
Learning by Doing

My new alarm system...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marqed97 View Post
I know some folks here like to see pictures of cats/dogs/etc, so thought I'd share a picture of our pooch. She's our home security system too... Very good, maybe too good, at alerting us to people coming up to the house. Silent about other animals, though. Her name is Sydney. We adopted her from a coworker of mine. His mother in law passed away and Syd was her dog, now bound for the pound. We tried her for a week and she's an angel with the kids. Mostly Blue Heeler I guess, something else mixed in.
She's pretty cute. Full grown? She's got a touch of puppy-look to her.

I <3 my four-legged security systems. I don't mind the barking so long as they aren't 'dog detectors'. My schnauzer-mix is a real barker, she wears a bark-collar 60% of the time so she doesn't annoy us to death.

My shepherd mix has some heeler in her - she would nip and bark at everyones feet if I let her. I've had to be pretty firm to keep her from herding kids around. When she gets really excited she will grab the back of my pants for a second. She totally heels my Lab-mix.
Old 08-10-2011, 12:54 PM   #5
Learning by Doing

My new alarm system...

Here's a pic of mine - she's got floppy ears.

She also likes to go for car trips and hates being left behind.....
Old 08-10-2011, 07:05 PM   #6

My new alarm system...

Very cute indeed. Syd's about 18 months now...31 pounds at the vet last month, he tells us that should be pretty much full grown for her. She is easily excited, but well-trained. She knows all her commands, has NEVER had an accident in the house (which still surprises me), and jumps higher than I thought possible -- she is a frisbee champion! She also will NOT go potty in the backyard, no matter what. Kind of nice, but necessitates about 5-6 walks a day (the wife loves the regular walks).
Attached Images

Old 08-10-2011, 07:59 PM   #7

My new alarm system...

Marge, it was 50 years ago, there about, so my memory may be a little foggy, but she could be a twin to my closest childhood friend. He was 100% mutt, but stayed at my side continuously, and his faithfulness was without reproach. We did a lot together, and he taught me a lot about mutual respect and responsibility. I never minded, and in fact actually enjoyed school, but I remember that being the hardest part; seeing the look on his face whenever he knew that I was leaving him behind. Anyway, your picture sure brought a big smile to me. I know that you will enjoy her. Thank you for sharing.
DexterII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 08:08 PM   #8
Pro Flooring Installer

My new alarm system...

This is Killer (also known as Biscuit)
Attached Thumbnails
My new alarm system...-74407108814_0_bg.jpg  
rusty baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 08:22 PM   #9

My new alarm system...

She sure is faithful to no end. She latched on to my wife right away, and follows her everywhere. I'm pretty sure she's a bit of mutt too. She does herd the kids when we all walk together...funny to watch. We have 5 year old twin girls and an 8 year old boy, and it's amazing how gentle she is with them. Incredibly tolerant. Growing up we were cat people (my folks were) and I always wanted a dog. Finally!
Old 08-10-2011, 08:30 PM   #10

My new alarm system...

A side note: I have be careful now. My wife recently started working part time again after 5 years full time with the girls. She got a job at our county humane society and is primarily responsible for the dog end of things. She loves it. I think we may end up with another soon. She takes Syd out sometimes to socialize with other dogs, and another may hitchhike home, or so I have been warned (:-]
Old 08-10-2011, 09:07 PM   #11
Learning by Doing

My new alarm system...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marqed97 View Post
A side note: I have be careful now. My wife recently started working part time again after 5 years full time with the girls. She got a job at our county humane society and is primarily responsible for the dog end of things. She loves it. I think we may end up with another soon. She takes Syd out sometimes to socialize with other dogs, and another may hitchhike home, or so I have been warned (:-]
Yeah, I had to stop volunteering at the local Humane Society because I wanted to bring everydog home. And we already have four.