Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > The Break Room > Off Topic

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-03-2011, 06:07 PM   #1
Tileguy

Share |

Mouse-a-geddon

Mouse-a-geddon
I’m not totally positive I should be sharing this particularly personal part of my life with folks on the Internet but here goes anyway.

We live on a farmstead. Everywhere you look this time of year is corn and soybeans whose growing life cycle is coming to an end. It won’t be long now until the fields will be empty again waiting for next spring to arrive when planting begins anew. But for now “Life on a farm is kinda laid back”. I think John Denver gets credit for that line. Thank God I’m a Country Boy. Well hell, he gets credit for that line too. I just can’t seem to come up with anything original.
So moving right along, this is also the time of year those temperatures begin to drop off in the evening and the nights become progressively colder and colder. In addition to corn and soybeans in the fields slowly inching they’re way to your dinner table, it seems the fields also have an abundance of mice. Live frigging mice. Apparently mice aren’t very sturdy animals so when the cold season arrives they begin to seek a warmer climate, like in my garage for example. They come inside to play hide and squeak. Like clockwork, each and every autumn we experience a mouse invasion.

On September 10th of this year, and after a cold snap, I noticed what seemed to be a lot of thumping and scampering going on in my garage. I would see an occasional mouse darting between obstacles. So since we no longer have our old cat (he died this past summer) and since I hate those meeces to pieces, I decided to set a trap to see if I could catch the little sucker. Just in case there was more than one or two mice frolicking about I thought I would set three traps. I no sooner had the traps set and was headed into the house when I heard a familiar “snap”. I’ll be damned, I caught one already. I went to investigate and before I could walk across the garage another trap snapped. This time with a tiny little squeak. I know I know…gruesome. Wow, caught two already! Wow, this is going really well! This is instantly more successful than my wildest dreams. I should do this well with Pheasants. With a smile on my face I disposed of the little critters in the dumpster and immediately re-set the traps.

A while later I was sitting at my computer singing “What’s New Pussycat” thinking I could scare them off when I heard another trap launch. I was certain that even if they didn’t understand the words to the song the screeching would certainly hurt their little mouse-ka-ears and they would take refuge back in the fields again. How wrong I was.

The story pretty much goes on like that until today. Usually we don’t see too many mice until during and after harvest when they flee ahead of the combines and head for shelter. The mouse frequency has dwindled some now but non-the-less I’m still catching mice. At first I hadn’t thought about keeping track of my kills, so my numbers are a little skewed but as of today I have caught fifty-seven mice in about twenty-two days not including the first few that I didn’t log. I have to be honest though. Our new kitten is credited with two of those kills but he is young and still learning and he just got here a few days ago.

Mice are disgusting little creatures as far as I am concerned, but living in the country you just have to learn to live with them. Mice are a fact of life on the farm just like the opossums and skunks and moles and such.
The problem is, harvest is just around the corner and I’m sure there will be an all new influx of mice when the combines begin to work. A bigger problem is our dumpster. Our dumpster only gets picked up and emptied once a month and right now that sucker has over fifty-seven dead mice fermenting in the debris.

Something told me I had to share this - I can't for the life of me imagine why that is.

Bud Cline is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bud Cline For This Useful Post:
BigJim (10-05-2011), Blondesense (10-03-2011), josall (10-03-2011)
Old 10-03-2011, 06:13 PM   #2

Mouse-a-geddon

One thing's for sure, Bud... I do not envy your mice problem. My house sat empty for a year, and once we moved in and turned up the heat, it was invasion of the 8 legged kind. I friggin HATE spiders. But 8 months in and nary a mouskadoo. Good luck...that is a LOT of mice.

Marqed97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 10:20 PM   #3
Tileguy

Mouse-a-geddon

Make that 59 mice.
Old 10-04-2011, 04:02 AM   #4
paper hanger and painter

Mouse-a-geddon

When the fields get harvested you're numbers are going into the triple digits in a hurry. You need more traps and or more cats.
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 07:04 AM   #5
A Little Of Everything

Mouse-a-geddon

I grew up on a farm, and our family lived on an acreage for 10 years after I got married.

There's no way to underestimate the value of a half-dozen hungry farm cats.
DrHicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 01:40 PM   #6

Mouse-a-geddon

On our farm there is a limit to how many I'm willing to dispose of. Time for the heavy artillery Bud. Delicious poison

Good work on not letting the nasty little vermin get a head of you so far
creeper is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to creeper For This Useful Post:
dougp23 (11-06-2011)
Old 10-04-2011, 01:48 PM   #7
Tileguy

Mouse-a-geddon

Poison kills cats.
No poison here.

The little critters die inside the walls and stink for weeks when they die of poisoning.
Old 10-04-2011, 06:15 PM   #8

Mouse-a-geddon

Of course there is areas like behind the stove for instance where the cats can't get to. Isn't the poison supposed to dehydrate them so they leave in search of water and then die else where? At any rate, however you do it, good luck
creeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 04:11 PM   #9
Tileguy

Mouse-a-geddon

61 now!
Old 10-05-2011, 05:14 PM   #10
DIY staff

Mouse-a-geddon

Get more traps-----Your daily rate has dropped!
Old 10-05-2011, 05:19 PM   #11
Tileguy

Mouse-a-geddon

My daily rate has dropped because I've been destroying those little bastards at a rapid rate.

I bought eight traps but I have tossed a few due to the excessive carnage.
Old 10-05-2011, 05:21 PM   #12
Tileguy

Mouse-a-geddon

One more for the cat! 62.
Old 10-05-2011, 05:23 PM   #13
Tileguy

Mouse-a-geddon

Did you guys know that mice were cannibalistic? That's pretty disgusting and that's what happened to the traps I trashed. YUCK !!!
Old 10-05-2011, 05:43 PM   #14
DIY staff

Mouse-a-geddon

I watched a chipmunk eat a dead mouse once----oh,yuck!
Old 10-09-2011, 10:45 PM   #15
Tileguy

Mouse-a-geddon

The cat is earning his keep now!
Cat 4
Bud 61

Total 65!

Now we're gettin' somewhere.