Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > The Break Room > Off Topic

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-18-2010, 08:48 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

Moment of Truth

Well, with all of the information I have been getting here I am about ready to get into my pitched roof job. I have the people to do the job down to two possibilities and I am leaning to what might seem to be the less likely one. First there is Pedro. He is honest and everything else he has done for me has been excellent; from painting to putting in an attic stairway that he perfectly fit to the old opening. But he never has done roofing for me. He says he has done a lot of it and has offered me references and he seems to know what to do (though he would put on the ridge vent along with the box vents that in this forum I have been told should not be done). He wants me to get the best materials; he suggested a better quality shingle (though he did it because he thought it would look better on my house); he wanted the 30 lb felts (I suppose it is easier to work with but he tells me it provides better insulation), valleys that are woven with a rubber strip underneath covered by a paper that I take it is metal laminate backed (I don't think you would see any bulges on my house), lead vent pipes. His crew has no doubt been contracted by the builders in the area to do their work. Has a BBB rating of "A", though I am not sure how long he has been a member of the BBB. Says he is insured,etc. which i will check, though he has always been honest with me (he did some painting for me and the gutter on my house fell down; he cam immediately to repair it and when I asked how much I owed him he told me that it was his responsibility). But how many roofing jobs has he done on his own? And I will be purchasing the materials. This doesn't bother me except for the fear if Pedro has miscalculated the job --if he did so I think it is honest-- I am responsible for the additional amount. His price is in the ballpark of other roofers and in fact is a little more than one other roofer. My home improvement store has given me a pretty good discount on the shingles and they tell me it ends up cheaper if i purchase everything myself rather than leave it to the roofer (actually Pedro has told me everything to get; the home improvement store corroborated; I will just pay for it). Other stores that cater specifically to roofing contractors have given me prices that they say are the contractor price and they are more than in my home improvement store, especially on the shingles; not sure if this means there is a "real" contractor's price which is different from what i was given by the roofing supply sotres.

Then there is Allen. I don't know him. He was recommended to me by a roofer in the commercial business whose son is going to be living in an apartment I rent out. According to Allen's business advertising he has been in business for 30 years. Says he has been using the same crew for 10. States on his proposal that he has workman's comp and insurance. Has a BBB rating of A- (I don't see any claims against him listed). Says he will put in new low profile vents and a ridge vent (not sure if this means he is keeping the old vent boxes on my house and adding a ridge vent, which I am told is not too good to do). Lead pipe collars. Indicates in his proposal 15 lb felts and does not indicate the kind of flashing he will use. I asked about valleys and he just puts down paper and weaves over it. When I add in what I want --the Duration OC shingle, 30 lb felt and copper chimney flashing-- the cost will likely be about the same as Pedro's, possibly a little less. He is an authorized Owens Corning installer I think, though he brought me some Certainteed Landmark 30 year shingles to look at . Both Pedro and Allen have 3 year warranties on their labor.

Is there anything that you folks who are more familiar with this stuff note that would drive a decision in one way or another. My inclination has been to go with Pedro because i know his previous work and i like the idea of giving the new guy who is trying to establish a legitimate business a break. But I do have to be careful; I might end up paying a little more for the job with Pedro and with something this expensive that is a negative. Of course, Pedro looks like he wants to do a quality job and I might be getting more for my money; he seems to be steering me toward higher end materials, though I am not really sure about Allen since I am not involved in the purchase of materials.

Any thoughts?

Alto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 08:50 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

Moment of Truth

Moved since not a DIY topic

Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 09:24 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,094

Moment of Truth

Moment of Truth-vote_for_pedro-10561.jpg

Last edited by gma2rjc; 06-18-2010 at 09:32 PM.
gma2rjc is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gma2rjc For This Useful Post:
Alto (06-18-2010)
Old 06-18-2010, 09:35 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 25

Moment of Truth

Sorry... did not even think of it but will keep it in mind for the future!
Alto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 10:10 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,094

Moment of Truth

Sorry about the picture, I couldn't help myself.

Given what you've told us, I would ask them both for at least 10 references from home owners who hired him to do their roof. Talk to all of them. Go to their houses and look at the work they did. That might help you decide.

I hired a 'reputable' company to shingle my roof a while back. The guy said he'd be here in a couple weeks. He never showed up but he sent 3 guys out to do the work. I had no idea they'd be here that day. They worked for about an hour and left.

The next day, while we were having our family reunion in my house and yard, one of the 3 guys showed up and started working on the roof.

No harm done, but it would have been nice if they'd called first.

Good luck and I hope it all works out for you.
gma2rjc is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gma2rjc For This Useful Post:
Alto (06-18-2010)
Old 06-18-2010, 10:18 PM   #6
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,128

Moment of Truth

Go to your local WalMart and pick a random checkout cashier. Ask her/him if they know the name of their neighbor to the east of where they live and then go ask that neighbor if he would be interested in suggesting someone from down the street that might want to nail up some expensive shingles at your expense. Tell him he doesn't need a Certificate of Insurance for General Liability coverage and also doesn't need Workman's Compensation Insurance or a local business license. This way when they destroy your shrubs, or one of them falls off of your roof you can pay for that out of your pocket also because your a nice guy and want to help someone get started in business. Have a moving company on retainer so that when the injury victim becomes the new owner of your house you can move out quickly before they come to tow off your vehicles that he will also own. The best roofers are the guys that have a black mustache and a bandanna and drive a 61 Chebby pickup. Don't bother to pull a local permit either because they just cost too much.

Or, you could find a legitimate roofer probably in your local Yellow Pages.
gma2rjc (06-18-2010)
Old 06-18-2010, 11:05 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 10

Moment of Truth

It would be nice to help a new guy...But you have to think about yourself. A roof ain't a cheap project. Don't worry about all the other stuff. Pick the roofer that you think will protect your house and do the best job...You'll be able to sleep better at night.

Titans is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
contractor decision, roofers