Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Community > Off Topic

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-12-2010, 08:17 PM   #1

Share |

Metal Roof Estimate

I didn't answer the call, but tonight some telemarketer called about if we wanted an estimate on metal roofing. My wife, thinking that, since we need a new roof, figured it couldn't hurt. Any tips, pointers, etc to keep in mind to ask this guy? I don't think he's getting onto the roof; at the hour he's coming at it'll be pretty much dark. [I'm guessing it's a ploy of some sort, but perhaps it's some reputable chain, hard up for work in this economy.] I'm not sold on the idea of leaving the existing shingles in place (read about that elsewhere; I'm concerned about any sort of damage to the planking up there, there are some waves in the roof), I do know that much.

I do have a question about roof ventilation, which might be better in its own thread. Anyhow, my current roof has ventilation problems, which leads to some issues with ice damming. I'm sure we can fix some of the venting on one side, the other not so easily. With a metal roof and its smooth surface, is this ventilation problem so important? Also, are the typical ridge vents used with metal roofing also?

Side note: house is in NH, so fair amount of snow. Two chunks of roof at 45 degree pitch (12 in 12?), while the other is much more shallow, like 30 degree or so (3 or in 12). The shallow one has had lots of issues with ice damming with shingles, and I don't know what is under the shingles, as I bought the house years after it was done. 25 year rated shingles, with 15 years on them, though.
supton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 09:08 PM   #2
nap
You talking to me?

Metal Roof Estimate

the first thing I will say is do not sign anything unless it is the deed to HIS house and he is deeding it to you. Even then I would be cautious.

I am exceptionally leery of cold call contractors.

the rest of the stuff I will leave to the roofers around here
nap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 09:08 AM   #3

Metal Roof Estimate

I suspect that, had I taken the call, I would have said no, or at least gotten a name of the company--reverse lookup on the phone number proved it to be from a local telemarketer. I'm quite leery of whomever this is, but a) I could call back to cancel, and b) a lousy estimate is still ahead of where I am at the moment.

I plan to sign absolutely nothing. I don't care if he offers to do it for ten bucks, he ain't touching my roof until I get both a second opinion and have read up on whatever he's shilling.
Old 04-13-2010, 06:29 PM   #4

Metal Roof Estimate

Ok, the guy came, not pushy, seemed decent quote. Although, I am a bit concerned about what he knocked off for advertising--as in, if we let him put a sign out front, he'd knock off something like 15%, which seems real high to me, he wanted a foot in this area. I'll go search around for the roofing material, which was Fabral Grandrib 3; he was planning on putting over the shingles.
Old 04-16-2010, 12:27 AM   #5

Metal Roof Estimate

thats an exposed fastener panel,there are better conceled fastener options
Tom Struble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 03:08 PM   #6

Metal Roof Estimate

Is it? I'm already leaning towards shingling anyhow, the contractor that came by (referal from a friend) had a good long talk with me about what I need to do, and I was more comfortable with entrusting him with the work to be done. [Need some roof ventilation work, plus some skylight work.] I'd prefer metal, but I suspect to do it right, I'd be better of waiting until I can better afford to do it right--cheaper for shingle in the meantime.