Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > The Break Room > Off Topic

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-25-2012, 02:33 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 1,474

May i have your attention please

DURING A RECENT VISIT BY AN ELDERLY SISTER OF MINE , THAT'S THE SAME AGE AS I , AND HER HUSBAND , IT WAS DISCOVERED OUR VEHICLES AREN'T EQUIPPED VERY WELL FOR OLDER FOLKS THAT CAN RECALL TRAVELING WITH PASSENGERS IN THE BACK SEAT . BUT IT CAN GET A LAUGH WHEN SOMEONE IN THE REAR SEAT REPEATS WHAT SOMEONE IN THE FRONT SEAT JUST SAID BECAUSE OF A HEARING PROBLEM . THE ONLY PERSON ON THIS TRIP WITH NORMAL HEARING IS MY YOUNG BEAUTIFUL WIFE .

SO HERE WE ARE , FIVE OF US ON THIS SHORT EXCURSION , REPEATING AND ASKING ; WHAT DID SHE / HE SAY , WOULD YOU REPEAT THAT , I DIDN'T QUITE HEAR ALL OF THAT . OK GIVE US A LITTLE CREDIT , THE DAM MINI VANS AREN'T AS QUIET AS A 1955 BUICK ROAD MASTER .

SO FINALLY , HERE IS MY QUESTION . DOES ANY MANUFACTURER NOW OR IN THE PAST HAVE A PRODUCT ON THE MARKET THAT HAS A MICROPHONE THAT COULD BE DIY MOUNTED IN THE FRONT ( DASH AREA POSSIBLY ) WITH A SPEAKER OR TWO THAT COULD BE MOUNTED IN THE REAR FOR HEARING IMPAIRED OLDER FOLKS IN THE BACK SEAT ? IF A PRODUCT LIKE THIS ISN'T AVAILABLE AT THIS TIME PLEASE INVENT ONE THANK YOU . WE WOULD LIKE IT TO BE WITHIN THE SS BUDGET .

IF YOU CAN'T HEAR ME I'LL TRY TO REMEMBER TO SPEAK UP NEXT TIME .

Last edited by SeniorSitizen; 10-25-2012 at 02:36 PM.
SeniorSitizen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 02:47 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,040

No, I'm not aware of one.
However, I don't think it would be that hard to do it.
Just "mikes" and speakers.
"RF"
(Hey! Could you please talk a little louder!!!)
Thanks!
(Sorry, I can't hear you!!)

rossfingal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 03:20 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 4,152

http://www.mypilotstore.com/mypilots...raft%20headset
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 08:16 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 25

Hi,

Here is a website that talks a little bit about hearing. Maybe you can find information there.

Lots of people rely on lip reading while in the car. Maybe see an audiologist to talk about more options...
Jess_718 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 08:01 PM   #5
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Rewards Points: 2,000

YOU TYPED SO LOUD I FELT I HAD TO SHOUT BUT WHEN THE NOISE DIED DOWN!?

There are a few approaches you could take. The first is sound enhancers that amplify the sound and they range in price from around $30 on up from what I could find. They fit over your ear with a headphone like ear plug. The better ones have equalizers so you can enhance just the frequencies you need to boost.

As suggested you could use aircraft type headphones and mic setups. Or any number of systems that broadcast over a channel on the low end of your car FM radio through the speakers. Theaters, rock shows, public speakers, churches, etc. use FM microphones and auditorium, etc. speakers in this manner or sometimes have special headphones available for the hearing challenged.

More important than enhancing the sound is cancelling out noise. You would be amazed at what a noise cancelling system will do. Systems monitor the interior of the car for noise and generate a cancelling frequency. The sounds and noise is still there, but our tiny little brains cannot hear it because we cannot process and figure out what it is in real time.

I remember in the old days of computing walking into a room that was filled with line printers cranking out invoices for a food company client. They had a wonderful noise cancelling system so you could not even hear the machines and could carry on a normal conversation without shouting. The danger was the dB levels were still present and you could do serious damage if you stayed in the room too long. In a car, the dB level would be no worse than it is now.

Of course since I am still just pre-geezer, why don't you all get those old horns like you see in movies? Or all sit together in the front seat!
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote