Marine Week 2011 (St. Louis) - Off Topic - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > The Break Room > Off Topic

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-27-2011, 12:18 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 150
Thumbs up

Marine week 2011 (St. Louis)

Marine week just ended today and it was a blast, We were blessed to host this event and welcome any future visits from the armed forces.

The Marines were here for 7 days doing community service and displaying equipment and giving demonstrations. They invaded the arch grounds on fri. and sat. with the precision and dicipline that they known for, and let me say..........they are amazing.

They all carried themselves with the up most dignity and pride and displayed unparelled manners and respect at all times. It was a great time to shake someones hand and thank them for their service........I think everyone went home with sore wrist.

We spent all day sat. downtown and returned this morning for taps, the silent drill corp and the closing ceremony. It was amazing and it brought tears to the eyes of all in attendance.

Here are some links to photos and vid's
http://www.fox2now.com/news/mornings...3.photogallery

http://www.marines.mil/community/mar...ages/home.aspx

http://stlouis.cbslocal.com/photo-ga...torm-st-louis/

If you ever get the chance to see a "marine week" I highly recommend it, it will be a highlight in your year.

THANK YOU MARINES.....AND ALL SERVICE MEMBERS PAST AND PRESENT

Advertisement

STL B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 02:04 PM   #2
uva uvam videndo variafit

Rewards Points: 500

What was the upshot of the three marines that got robbed by two unarmed creeps?

Advertisement

WirelessG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 05:58 PM   #3

I think the end story was 2 drunk marines vs. 2 street thugs. Street thugs were trying to sell jewelry to the marines when an argument was followed by a scuffe.l One of the marines went for a pocket knife and was hit by one of the thugs. He then dropped his knife and it was picked up by the thugs who then robbed both marines and and then poked the knife at the marine who had droped it, He only had light scratches/cuts.

The mayors office really handled the inccident terribly, they did at least five or six press confrences where they denied that such a thing could happen here and mockingly asked " How do two guys get the jump on two 21yr. old marines".
That was followed by two days of tweets and facebook from the mayors staff reminding us they were drunk and basically calling them liars and mocking them for getting jumped. I HATE OUR MAYOR!!!!!

I think that the marines rose above it and fed it back to them cold and with a smile on their faces......At the closing ceremony one of the speakers (a colonel or major) thanked the mayor and all of his staff for the warm welcome. You could hear a grumble from the crowd at the remark. It was priceless.

The 2 marines that this happened to are being punished for breaking orders. I've heard that they were ordered not to defend themselves in case something this happened they shound've just handed over their wallets. No way to know what really happened but I feel that the Corp. will take care of those two marines and they could've done without the bashing the mayor and his staff handed out.

The mayor is getting good at claiming stl as a "safe" city where random crime happens once and a while. Thats why it was so funny when two nights later 50 cars were broken into in one parking lot......the owners were at the cards game. The following day the police come out and say that the parking lot bandits were after guns..........yea thats it guns. They say that it's because Mo. has conceal carry theives break into cars looking for guns, not change or gps's. The news reported later that in the past month 1 firearm was taken from a vehicle out of hundreds of smash and grabs. The spin never stops from out proud mayor.

Oddly I was talking to a very tough looking young marine on sat. and I asked if the marines involved had gotten in trouble and apalogized for our mayors jerk ass remarks. He just smiled and said "ask him" as he pointed to a rail thin kid sitting on top of a humm V. he went on to say "look at him he's only 120-130lbs., he couldnt fight off two guy's by himself" as if the other marine involved did'nt help him (like he was ordered not to). He also said that he was that kids CO and he lost a few days freedom over the whole thing himself.
Old 06-27-2011, 07:18 PM   #4
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,620

It can happen anywhere. St. Louis is no different than any other major city in the U.S.
Old 06-27-2011, 07:42 PM   #5

I'd hope that the mayors in other cities would'nt rip the marines for getting mugged.
Old 06-27-2011, 07:53 PM   #6
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,620

What's more important?

Living free in a major city of the U.S. or supporting the guys that make it all possible?

Who is the mayor of St.Louis these days. That village has been politically corrupt for a long long time. Some things just never change.
Old 06-27-2011, 09:18 PM   #7

Quote:

What's more important?

Living free in a major city of the U.S. or supporting the guys that make it all possible?
There's no reason we should choose. But the marines will be delt with by their commanding officers and do not to be publicly chastised

Quote:
Who is the mayor of St.Louis these days. That village has been politically corrupt for a long long time. Some things just never change.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Francis_Slay

And yes he's crooked in my opinion

Advertisement