Manitoba Welcomes Syrian Refugees - Off Topic - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Chatroom Community > Off Topic

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-20-2015, 08:29 AM   #1
Hvac Pro

Rewards Points: 956

Manitoba welcomes Syrian Refugees

We just got 2 families and this little fella will warm your heart.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manito...-day-1.3373518
Attached Thumbnails
Manitoba welcomes Syrian Refugees-a1.jpg  

Advertisement

Old 12-20-2015, 10:34 AM   #2
Exterior Construction

Rewards Points: 3,092

Cute kid.

Advertisement

Windows on Wash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 11:07 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,782

We already have some in my town too.

I say great. A better future for the less fortunate. And they will work, pay taxes, and help improve the local economy. This country was built on immigration -- keep bringing them.
SPS-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SPS-1 For This Useful Post:
Trillium (12-20-2015)
Old 12-20-2015, 11:29 AM   #4
Hvac Pro

Yeah, I don't want to get into the fear mongering debate ( we have Canadians who don't want them either ) but unless we are bringing in lone males I doubt these families are Jihadists or a danger to us.

Winnipeg is like the UN. We have a huge 2 week Folklarama festival each Summer with dozens of cultural groups having pavilions at churches or community clubs. We have every culture/race/group of people under the sun in Wpg. My local Superstore grocery store has arabic signs and foods as well as a large Chineese population in my area. Really neat to see all of God's different peoples shopping in one store. And their kids are cute.

Last edited by yuri; 12-20-2015 at 11:36 AM.
yuri is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to yuri For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (12-24-2015), Trillium (12-20-2015)
Old 12-20-2015, 12:29 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,906

Quote:
Originally Posted by yuri View Post
Winnipeg is like the UN. We have a huge 2 week Folklarama festival each Summer with dozens of cultural groups having pavilions at churches or community clubs. We have every culture/race/group of people under the sun in Wpg.
Yeah, Winnipeg is famous for it's Folklorama.

All the people of Polish descent go to the Polish pavillion.
All the people of Greek descent go to the Greek pavillion.
All the people of French descent go to the French pavillion.
All the people of German descent go to the German pavillion.

And, in Winnipeg, we call that "learning about other cultures".

I have no problem with other nationalities coming to Canada or Winnipeg as long as they realize that they're in a new country and it's up to them to assimilate to the culture and customs of Canada.

The problem that France, Germany, Belguim and Holland are all having is that devout muslims DON'T assimilate. They stick to their own community and don't make any effort whatsoever to become part of the larger community in which they live. And, the result is predictable; mistrust and tension between the muslim community and the larger community in which they live. Already you have ultra right wing political parties in many European countries that are protesting against any further immigration of muslims. Some of those ultra right wing political parties are even advocating sending the muslims they do have back where they came from, which would be a severe violation of those people's human rights. Still, I just want them to become "Canadian" just like everyone else around them.

You look at Phillipino kids... they're no different than Canadian kids; the young girls dress up in ways that attract the attention of young boys and annoy their parents, and the guys get part time jobs and buy cars they can attract chicks with. The ones that grew up here are totally Canadian.

Last edited by Nestor_Kelebay; 12-20-2015 at 12:40 PM.
Nestor_Kelebay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 12:35 PM   #6
Hvac Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nestor_Kelebay View Post

Not true. My Dad goes to all the different ones and I have too. Kinda hard to digest all the different foods if you are not used to them. We get lots of US tourists etc for it as well. I hardly bother with the Ukrainian one as Mom's perogies are better.
Old 12-20-2015, 01:31 PM   #7
Hvac Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nestor_Kelebay View Post

I have no problem with other nationalities coming to Canada or Winnipeg as long as they realize that they're in a new country and it's up to them to assimilate to the culture and customs of Canada.

The problem that France, Germany, Belguim and Holland are all having is that devout muslims DON'T assimilate. They stick to their own community and don't make any effort whatsoever to become part of the larger community in which they live. And, the result is predictable; mistrust and tension between the muslim community and the larger community in which they live. Already you have ultra right wing political parties in many European countries that are protesting against any further immigration of muslims. Some of those ultra right wing political parties are even advocating sending the muslims they do have back where they came from, which would be a severe violation of those people's human rights. Still, I just want them to become "Canadian" just like everyone else around them.

You look at Phillipino kids... they're no different than Canadian kids; the young girls dress up in ways that attract the attention of young boys and annoy their parents, and the guys get part time jobs and buy cars they can attract chicks with. The ones that grew up here are totally Canadian.

I am NOT repeat NOT going to get into this Muslim debate as we have beat it to death in the controversial forum. If you want to start a new thread about cultural assimilation I would rather do it there.

This is Sunday, Nestor. You go to church. For once perhaps we can appreciate a little boy and have some postive feelings not the usual Muslim bashing negativity. I will NOT be negative now. See you in the Controversial forum.
Trillium (12-20-2015)
Old 12-24-2015, 06:57 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 2,584

Quote:
Originally Posted by yuri View Post
We just got 2 families and this little fella will warm your heart.
I must admit, it's all a bit tear-jerking to watch a family grab a new lease on life. It gives you a warm feeling to know that you have been some help to these people. They are NOT couch potatoes either. The news has been sort of following one family for a couple of weeks now. The father is already out pounding the streets for work.

And yes... we go to all the pavilions we can every year. It's fun to see a different way of life.

Advertisement

Bob Sanders is offline   Reply With Quote