Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Community > Off Topic

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-14-2010, 04:09 PM   #1

Share |
Angry

major issues with new roof and contractor

I am in need of answers inregard to proper roofing procedures and practices. I hired a roofing contractor to reroof my mothers home (89 years young and a mother of 12). The contractor said two days to complete, one day tear off the next day install roof. The project started july6th and it is still not finished. Their are many issues to the Quality of the work done along with water damage done the the home, when their tarp blew off during a storm. The home is a 30 x 30 2 story sears kit that was brought to the nearest town by train then delivered to it's building site by horse and wagon back in the early 1900's. This contractor butchered the roof, fromm nearly destroying the gutters, breaking parts off the crown mold, breaking all three lightning rods and the 10 sided insulators, to laying the 1/2" osb 2" short of the facia, too long on the dormer of the front porch (leaving big gaps at valley and facia), the list goes on and on. My intial question is about the proper position off the osb to the crown mold, and the gutter edging. Is the osb supose to lay on top on the facia and come flush with the outside edge of the crownmoldand? if I were to remove the damaged crownmold from the facia should the osb overhang facia?

den graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 04:18 PM   #2

I run the sheeting flush with outside edge,I then hide it with a piece of dripedge.Sheeting should not overhung anywhere.Sounds like you are having quite a few issues.If you have any pics available,they would be very helpful in verifying you issues.

johnk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 04:37 PM   #3

Thanks for replying I do have pics I will try to figure out how to get them on . Very frustrating and hard on my mother. The hard wood floors, wall paper and ceilings in 3 of 4 upper bedrooms sustained damage that the contractor is trying to fix because he said his insurance won't cover the damages because the storm was an act of God. Would this be true?
Old 08-14-2010, 04:53 PM   #4
Mod

Are you sure he’s a licensed, bonded and insured contractor?

That’s what "his" insurance and performance bond is for, to cover damages that his work (or lack of) has caused.

What State is this in?
Old 08-14-2010, 05:10 PM   #5

with 35 years experiance, but I think he woke up one morning and said to his wife,"I think we should start a roofing business". We are in Iowa Desmoines area. Today I told him if progess was not made this week that next weekend will be to late and I will have to use other alternatives in getting the roof repaired. He response was "Take me to court if you want." I told him I did not want to do that but I will do what it takes to protect my mothers interst and if court is the only way to accomplish that then so be it. I also told him if he wanted to walk away from it then pay back the 4500 dollars you got for final payment that you swindled out of my mom and we will call it even. he said that won't happen
Old 08-14-2010, 06:15 PM   #6
STAFF

There is the mistake right there, he was paid in full before he finished. You probably will have to take him to court, if I don't miss my guess.

Jim
BigJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 06:25 PM   #7

I have more if you would like to see

I will probably have to take him to court, but do I fix roof in the meantime? My good friend is a carpenter and he thinks we should remove 5 rows of shingles and replace the bottom 16" of osb. eliminate the crown mold and install new gutter edge and bring the gutters tight to the facia and under the gutter edge. Would that be the best way to take care of problem? and will I need new weather lock?
Attached Thumbnails
major issues with new roof and contractor-img_2543b.jpg  
Old 08-14-2010, 06:48 PM   #8

this is wher they ran the osb to long

It seems to far into the gutter and the bracket, there wre only 2 per side hooked up when they got finished
Attached Thumbnails
major issues with new roof and contractor-img_2555.jpg  
Old 08-14-2010, 06:56 PM   #9

Attached Thumbnails
major issues with new roof and contractor-img_2540.jpg  
Old 08-14-2010, 09:46 PM   #10
Totally screwed together

Quote:
Originally Posted by den graham View Post
this is wher they ran the osb to long
There is so much wrong with that picture. Lets start at the top:

Roof to wall intersection: Needs flashing and counterflashing over it, You should not be able to see fasteners in the vertical section, because flashing covers it. Counterflashing should come down to near the roof surface.

Valley: It looks like he attempted to do a "California Valley", which is all fine and good except he did it wrong. You run the bottom course UP the other side, then shingle over that layer, cutting the over layer an inch or two back from the valley. Water should not flow INTO that seam

Valley drip edge: What the heck is going on here!?! How many times did that edge need to be cut? You should never be able to see through drip edge - if you can, that's where water is going to go. Is he trying to make an animal nest in the roof? That gap between the shingles and the edge is a super-awesome place to make one!
xxPaulCPxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 09:50 PM   #11
Totally screwed together

Quote:
Originally Posted by den graham View Post
I have more if you would like to see
In this picture, it looks like a reshingle over gravel. They laid down new OSB, why is it so bumpy... and uneven?
Old 08-15-2010, 10:03 AM   #12

I think they ran the osb to long in the front porch, The valleys are diferent from one side to the other, with roof edging on one side is way better than otherside
Attached Thumbnails
major issues with new roof and contractor-img_2556_1.jpg  
Old 08-15-2010, 03:04 PM   #13
Totally screwed together

Wow... look what they did to that beautiful house.

My gut reaction to this is to wish for some kind of Saudi style Sharia law be applied to hacks like this. Only the severest punishments to those who commit the most serious offenses. Claiming you've been doing this for 35 years and then doing THIS clearly qualifies you for loosing your hands.

Yes, I know rationally that is too harsh, he's got a family to support... yah yah, I get it. But that kind of work just ticks me off.

It gives real tradespeople a black eye.

You might want to take some of your pictures, blow them up with the contractors name and licence number, and post them around various roofing supply houses. This guy should at least be exposed to public ridicule!
Old 08-15-2010, 03:12 PM   #14
Totally screwed together

On the other hand, I gotta ask... why did you hire THIS guy as opposed to anyone else. Was he the cheapest, did he have good recommendations, did you see other examples of his work?

I indulged in some Internet Outrage in that last post... but I suspect there is some blame here for this on your part as well.

It looks like this house has ALOT of historic detail work, and to hire just anybody to do work on this house, who isn't qualified to handle the details, is your fault.

It's kind of like buying a used Mercedes, BMW, Lexus, etc. You can buy a $50,000 car used for as little as $2000. But every part on that car is going to be priced like it goes on a $50,000 car. $50 in brake parts on another car might cost $500 on this one. The cost of upkeep doesn't change even though the initial asking price has!
Old 08-15-2010, 03:59 PM   #15

Yes, I am all at fault by hiring this guy. I know his wife and had talked to him a couple of times, They both drive new loaded dodge trucks with their logo on them, which says 35yr. experiance,insured and bonded. I got 2 other estimates before I ask them for one, and my gut feeling, when I did ask for one, was not good. He provided pics of his work with testements from customers. I realised he was a B S er, yet, he sounded like he knew his stuff. His wife is a dedicated, hard working and honest individual, who for some reason is married to a man, who seems to be none of that. He could start in 2 weeks, and yes he beat the other estimates by nearly 25%(hind site don't take the lo bid.) and a 2 day start to finish,from daylite to dark process. He said enough of the right things to steer me away from my feelings. I am so regreting this decision and in the end it will be more$ and a terrible headache for me to get resolved not to mention the hell my mother has been through. She feels terrible to have given him final payment before job was done but he pulled one over on her when I was not looking. Yes you are absolutley right, and I should have known better. I am 50 yr. old and have been involed in the service industry all my life. had my own business for 10 yr. and my customers kept coming back,not because I was cheaper, but for the quality of work I provided. I will never let this happen again.