Looking For Some Type Of Engineer?? - Off Topic - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > The Break Room > Off Topic

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-27-2010, 11:59 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Looking For Some Type of Engineer??

Hello, My previous posts wound up in "off topic". However, now I'm interested in finding an independent contractor/engineer/??? who can look at my house siding and tell me what is needed between the interior walls and the vinyl outside. I am having my house vinyl sided in place of the cedar siding (will be torn off) that is currently on it and I would like someone knowledgable to come over and give me his opinion. Specifically, do I need wood/osb placed over the studs on the entire house or can the contractor nail the vinyl directly to the studs?

How would I go about finding this type of person? Thanks!!

Advertisement

nycgto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 01:02 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 320

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycgto View Post
Hello, My previous posts wound up in "off topic". However, now I'm interested in finding an independent contractor/engineer/??? who can look at my house siding and tell me what is needed between the interior walls and the vinyl outside. I am having my house vinyl sided in place of the cedar siding (will be torn off) that is currently on it and I would like someone knowledgable to come over and give me his opinion. Specifically, do I need wood/osb placed over the studs on the entire house or can the contractor nail the vinyl directly to the studs?

How would I go about finding this type of person? Thanks!!
Sheath the house for the sake of structural integrity, e.g., racking strength. You'll also likely see deflection in the vinyl if you don't sheath the house. Furthermore, you'll probably have serious water infiltration without some sort of water resistive barrier. Imagine wind-driven precipitation on vinyl. I'm not a pro, but I don't think any contractor or building inspector would feel comfortable with that type of scenario. I believe you're subject to IRC 2000 in MO, so check out the code requirements.

Advertisement

Last edited by benjamincall; 07-27-2010 at 01:07 PM.
benjamincall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 01:09 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,000

This site is about DIY, not hiring people
As such threads that are not about DIY are moved to Off Topic
Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 01:46 PM   #4
Pro Flooring Installer

Rewards Points: 2,318

You would be surprised what you can get by with in Missouri. About 10 years ago they built a residential living center a block from my house. All they put on the outside of the studs is that 4x8 sheet foam insulation and vinyl siding. No sheathing at all. And it passed code.
rusty baker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 06:29 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by benjamincall View Post
Sheath the house for the sake of structural integrity, e.g., racking strength. You'll also likely see deflection in the vinyl if you don't sheath the house. Furthermore, you'll probably have serious water infiltration without some sort of water resistive barrier. Imagine wind-driven precipitation on vinyl. I'm not a pro, but I don't think any contractor or building inspector would feel comfortable with that type of scenario. I believe you're subject to IRC 2000 in MO, so check out the code requirements.
Thanks for your reply benjamincall. The only other barrier that this contractor is proposing to install is Tyvek wrap. It looks, to me, like I already have foam behind the cedar that I saw when I removed a piece of the cedar siding and looked behind it. That's when I did not see any wood or as you say 'sheath' between the studs.
Old 07-27-2010, 06:52 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycgto View Post
Thanks for your reply benjamincall. The only other barrier that this contractor is proposing to install is Tyvek wrap. It looks, to me, like I already have foam behind the cedar that I saw when I removed a piece of the cedar siding and looked behind it. That's when I did not see any wood or as you say 'sheath' between the studs.
You can put vinyl directly over foam sheathing: http://www.nbnnews.com/NBN/issues/20...rds/index.html

Here's a comparison of sheathing alternatives:

http://www.toolbase.org/Design-Const...d-alternatives

As you will read in the above link, "foam sheathing does require corner bracing, as it is not structural in nature."

Instinctively, I prefer plywood and OSB sheathing. On my house, I'm using Zip System wall panels, which are basically OSB panels with a WRB coating.

Last edited by benjamincall; 07-27-2010 at 06:56 PM.
Old 07-27-2010, 11:57 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by benjamincall View Post
You can put vinyl directly over foam sheathing: http://www.nbnnews.com/NBN/issues/20...rds/index.html

Here's a comparison of sheathing alternatives:

http://www.toolbase.org/Design-Const...d-alternatives

As you will read in the above link, "foam sheathing does require corner bracing, as it is not structural in nature."

Instinctively, I prefer plywood and OSB sheathing. On my house, I'm using Zip System wall panels, which are basically OSB panels with a WRB coating.
Gee, benjamincall, You are one heck-of-a-guy to get me to these sites. I never would have looked at them on my own. I did read the information and learned quite a bit. Well, now I know that my salesman knew what he was talking about when he told me that I really do NOT need to put osb over the studs. However, I will definitely take into consideration putting on the osb just so I feel that the job will be done as best as possible and done right the first time.

Thanks sooooo much for your assistance. I'll keep you posted on my final decision as my salesman is coming over on Friday for me to give him the colors, sign the contract, and pay him 1/3 down payment.

Thanks, again for taking the time to help out a stranger. This is really appreciated.
Old 07-28-2010, 01:22 AM   #8

I'm pleased to help! You may want to give some consideration to installing the vinyl yourself:
http://www.vinylsidingzone.com/siding-videos/
http://www.askthebuilder.com/B383_Vi...on_Tips_.shtml
http://www.doityourself.com/stry/h2installvinylsiding

On a different note, here's a thread on the contractor side of this site that mentions some of "premium" brands of vinyl siding:

http://www.contractortalk.com/f33/vi...g-brands-8553/

Who manufactures the siding your salesman is quoting you?

I don't want to sow seeds of doubt or to kill anyone's business or anything, but I would be wary of any outfit that tries to sell you its own proprietary fancy state-of-the-art vinyl siding. How did you find your salesman?

We seem to be plagued by regional companies that are heavy on sales but provide mediocre product at an exorbitant price. My wife and I had a vinyl siding/window outfit that gave us an in-home sales pitch about its "amazing" windows. They turned out to be nothing more than rebranded builder-grade windows made locally.

Call up a lumber yard and get some quotes per square on the proposed product. If nobody carries that product, I would definitely be leary of making a deposit. From my limited experience, reputable and cost-effective contractors rarely employ outside salespeople for individual residential jobs (perhaps one of the pros could corroborate this perception?).

I hope this post doesn't come across wrong. I only make this suggestion because these outfits have really taken advantage of folks in my area. Let me know how your project goes!

Advertisement

Last edited by benjamincall; 07-28-2010 at 01:33 AM.