Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Community > Off Topic

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-16-2012, 10:05 AM   #1

Share |

Looking for a canister vacuum (I think)

Due to some sudden changes in living arrangements, I'm now responsible for cleaning the house. The floors are all laminate and tile so I haven't had a vacuum, but I think I've decided I want one. Just looking for tips.

A Neato robot vacuum keeps the floors respectable. The biggest thing is keeping the baseboards, ceiling, fans and blinds clean. I let a Kirby salesman in the house once and she cleaned the ceiling fans with a bristle attachment and I've wanted one since, but obviously I'm not going to pay $1000 for that.

So.. any tips on what kind of vacuum I should get? I'm pretty sure I want to get a canister vac. I've heard there's some sort of attachment for actually CLEANING laminate..? Not familiar with that at all. And I'm still not sure exactly why I should be looking at a new vacuum instead of just bringing the shop vac in the house. Please, help me take care of myself.

qoncept is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 12:31 PM   #2
Stuck in the 70's

Quote:
Originally Posted by qoncept View Post
...And I'm still not sure exactly why I should be looking at a new vacuum instead of just bringing the shop vac in the house. Please, help me take care of myself.
Our house is carpeted except for the kitchen and bathrooms. I use a regular upright vacuum on the carpeting, but I have the small, one gallon, shop vac that I use for everything else; tile floors, carpeted stairs, baseboards, cobwebs etc.
Works for me.

Blondesense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 06:20 PM   #3

paid $600+ for a German made Meile. Quiet as heck. Strong suction. But heck- vacs are so overrated. many times I dust with a rag- quick-quiet-no cords/wires in the way. vac is another thing to own. Oh well.
Old 10-20-2012, 12:45 PM   #4
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Canister or upright, look for a bagless vacuum.

There are some out there were a canister snaps loose from an upright for applications like yours. Otherwise be sure and look for a carpet brush attachment for a canister set-up.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 09:26 PM   #5

Just buy a cheap wet/dry vac. No need to spend the big bucks for something you don't need. I'll never have carpeting again myself, as it's nothing but a dirt holder, so your blessed with floors you can clean.
bernieb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 08:42 AM   #6

We have a Dyson that works really well. It isn't the most expensive one with the "ball" on bottom either.

Jack
Jackal66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 09:52 AM   #7
World's Tallest Midget

I think ours is a Eureka, or something like that. We got it at Sprawl-Mart, and it supposedly had better ratings than a Dyson for less than $100. I don't know how it compares to a Dyson in real-people-world, but its a helluva lot better than our old bag vacuum.

Mort is offline   Reply With Quote