Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > The Break Room > Off Topic

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-15-2013, 05:39 PM   #1
JOATMON

Rewards Points: 2,316

Lisa Robin Kelly Dead

She died at a rehab facility today...I'm sure the pictures speak for themselves..

Not high....

High....booking photo...

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 05:47 PM   #2
Mod

Rewards Points: 2,194

Lisa Robin Kelly Dead

What can you say? She liked her dope and could afford it. She wasn't a kid for the world to save.

Old 08-15-2013, 05:48 PM   #3
JOATMON

Lisa Robin Kelly Dead

Just how many more are going to die that way? It's so avoidable....

I've seen way to many people ruined by it...

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
Old 08-15-2013, 06:13 PM   #4
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Rewards Points: 2,000

Lisa Robin Kelly Dead

Gia Allemand hung herself and died yesterday too. Beautiful woman, perhaps or not with addiction issues but clearly with mental health problems. 29. If she sought help, addicted or not, and had private insurance? It would probably only have covered a limited number of mental health visits per year. She did not star in some 70s show as a minor character. She just participated in a voyeur type reality show.

I came so close to jumping over the edge she did but I had people around me to keep me thinking there was something left. I was able to get help for anxiety driven depression and am here today because, with help, I found the way to fight my way back. If the fact that I am mentally ill scares people get over it. Mentally ill people hurt no more people than any other sample of the population but in the eyes of Hollywood or the media. Make fun of me now if you want. I no longer care. I could have diabetes like you do instead.

As for the subject of the thread. Someday we may catch on that spending billions privately and with public funds on 12-step treatment, all components of which have been shown to be the least possible successful way of addressing addiction, may need some rethinking. It is illegal to mandate people to 12-stepping but the courts, just to start, still do. It's cheap to do so (although alternatives would be much cheaper), it is easy, and it is sinfully profitable for those who run such treatment centers. Any failures, even if you accept the disease concept, the patients get blamed. We would not put up with such absurdity with any other disease.

Something like 60 percent of addicts have major underlying mental illnesses that could be addressed much cheaper than sticking them in prisons or treatment centers over and over again. What is the definition of insanity according to 12-steppers? Repeating the same thing over and over and expecting a different outcome.

When this country has the courage to come to grips with mental illness on par with any other we might actually get somewhere. When it comes to grips with the fact much of its populace is addicted to something? We might smile more.

This news is sad. Suggesting this poor person who left us loved drugs more than life and could afford them is a cop out. Maybe she did but maybe over the years since her stardom she reached out and all we tossed her was a 12-step token in the form of a make believe life preserver.

For those 3-5 percent for which 12-stepping has worked and who think they have a disease? More higher power to you. For those for whom it has not and cannot know there are alternatives that work much, much better.

And before you cast stones against your glass house again. Make sure you are not addicted to anything because the World Health Organization says something like 80-85 percent of the population is. It is the way we humans are hardwired. Is yours food (overeat or purge---still an addiction)? Sex? Tobacco? Alcohol? Drugs? Gambling? Spending?

Last edited by user1007; 08-15-2013 at 06:35 PM.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to user1007 For This Useful Post:
Marqed97 (08-15-2013)
Old 08-15-2013, 06:27 PM   #5
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Rewards Points: 2,000

Lisa Robin Kelly Dead

Fave episode of South Park. There are viable alternatives to 12-stepping that work. Anybody needing access to them can PM me. Of course the person involved has to work at them but at least at the start is the idea that we are all powerful and not powerless and responsible for our actions.

http://www.southparkstudios.com/full...14-bloody-mary
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to user1007 For This Useful Post:
Marqed97 (08-15-2013)
Old 08-15-2013, 07:22 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 254

Lisa Robin Kelly Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdsester
Gia Allemand hung herself and died yesterday too. Beautiful woman, perhaps or not with addiction issues but clearly with mental health problems. 29. If she sought help, addicted or not, and had private insurance? It would probably only have covered a limited number of mental health visits per year. She did not star in some 70s show as a minor character. She just participated in a voyeur type reality show.

I came so close to jumping over the edge she did but I had people around me to keep me thinking there was something left. I was able to get help for anxiety driven depression and am here today because, with help, I found the way to fight my way back. If the fact that I am mentally ill scares people get over it. Mentally ill people hurt no more people than any other sample of the population but in the eyes of Hollywood or the media. Make fun of me now if you want. I no longer care. I could have diabetes like you do instead.

As for the subject of the thread. Someday we may catch on that spending billions privately and with public funds on 12-step treatment, all components of which have been shown to be the least possible successful way of addressing addiction, may need some rethinking. It is illegal to mandate people to 12-stepping but the courts, just to start, still do. It's cheap to do so (although alternatives would be much cheaper), it is easy, and it is sinfully profitable for those who run such treatment centers. Any failures, even if you accept the disease concept, the patients get blamed. We would not put up with such absurdity with any other disease.

Something like 60 percent of addicts have major underlying mental illnesses that could be addressed much cheaper than sticking them in prisons or treatment centers over and over again. What is the definition of insanity according to 12-steppers? Repeating the same thing over and over and expecting a different outcome.

When this country has the courage to come to grips with mental illness on par with any other we might actually get somewhere. When it comes to grips with the fact much of its populace is addicted to something? We might smile more.

This news is sad. Suggesting this poor person who left us loved drugs more than life and could afford them is a cop out. Maybe she did but maybe over the years since her stardom she reached out and all we tossed her was a 12-step token in the form of a make believe life preserver.

For those 3-5 percent for which 12-stepping has worked and who think they have a disease? More higher power to you. For those for whom it has not and cannot know there are alternatives that work much, much better.

And before you cast stones against your glass house again. Make sure you are not addicted to anything because the World Health Organization says something like 80-85 percent of the population is. It is the way we humans are hardwired. Is yours food (overeat or purge---still an addiction)? Sex? Tobacco? Alcohol? Drugs? Gambling? Spending?
Your ideology and my own are very similar. I thank you for your comments above. Well said.
Marqed97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 07:59 PM   #7
JOATMON

Lisa Robin Kelly Dead

I will agree with you that to some extent drug addiction is a form of mental illness...and that putting someone in prison for drug use is not the solution...but the courts defense, they are frustrated by what to do.

Having dealt with it on a frequent basis, while the 'war on drugs' might not exactly be a success, not doing anything or legalizing drugs is certainly not the solution.

A recent report (this week in fact) said that excessive use of alcohol has about a $35 billion price tag due to medical treatment, lost productivity, time off, etc. Imagine what the price tag would be if you made all drugs legal. A lot of companies would be shut down due to employee's being unable to function.

I don't know what the answer is....

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ddawg16 For This Useful Post:
user1007 (08-16-2013), Windows on Wash (08-16-2013)
Old 08-16-2013, 08:52 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 500

Lisa Robin Kelly Dead

The "answer" is twofold, in my eyes :

1. Education, treatment, etc. All those things that take a LOT of time and a LOT of effort and thus never get done because no one sees immediate results. (As opposed to imprisonment, where we see immediate "results," they're just typically temporary and then eventually the opposite of the intended result). The only silver lining is that at least mental illness is becoming better understood, or at least accepted. Seeing a therapist or taking an antidepressant is still stigmatized in a lot of circles but not NEARLY to the extent it was 25 or even 10 years ago.

2. There is no real answer. All the above helps, but.... this is going to happen til the end of time. As long as people are free to live their lives and make decisions... horrible sad things like this will happen. To address ddawg's quote :

Quote:
Just how many more are going to die that way? It's so avoidable
A LOT. It's avoidable per individual, but as a widespread problem? We can diminish it for sure, but we'll never avoid it completely.

Sorry, just being pragmatic. We (we being society) should do what we can, but also accept we can't do EVERYTHING.
TheBobmanNH is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TheBobmanNH For This Useful Post:
user1007 (08-16-2013)
Old 08-16-2013, 10:12 AM   #9

Rewards Points: 510

Lisa Robin Kelly Dead

It is sad whenever this happens, and I feel for their families. But, I have no idea who they are.

danpik is offline   Reply With Quote