Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Community > Off Topic

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-27-2011, 03:54 PM   #1
Pro Flooring Installer

Share |

On-line car insurance

Anyone have experience with on-line car insurance (Geico, Progressive, etc)? good or bad. Out of curiosity, I got a quote and they are about 1/2 what I am now paying.

rusty baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 02:29 PM   #2
Coconut Pete's paella!

On-line car insurance

We have 3 vehicles. One brand new that we always lease and then one that's a few years old that we own. We also have a 2001 which is our work horse without full coverage. I got a quote from Geico once for the 2 newer cars. The person quoted me and it sounded fairly competitive. Once she started reading the fine print I realized the quoted me Liability Only !!!! Once she added comprehensive it was 2X what the original quote was...... 150% of what i was currently paying. The icing on the cake was that she acted downright shocked when I told her I did not plan on making the switch. She was even more shocked that after she told me I could call Geico at 3AM and file a claim I STILL was not interested in switching.

Beware of Geico - they are sneaky bastards.

CoconutPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 03:09 PM   #3
Pro Flooring Installer

On-line car insurance

That's what I was afriad of. I did an on-line quote and for the same exact coverage we now have, it was about 1/2 of our current cost from Geico and I have the cheapest instrance available here from locals. But, here I can talk to them face to face. My problem is, I am on a fixed income and my insurance seems to go up twice a year. Haven't had a ticket or claim for many years.
Old 09-29-2011, 04:22 PM   #4
Mod

On-line car insurance

I have Geico (liability only) on two vehicles for many years and never had a problem. Never had a claim either so I can’t speak about that process.
Old 09-29-2011, 05:15 PM   #5
A Little Of Everything

On-line car insurance

Quote:
Originally Posted by rusty baker View Post
Anyone have experience with on-line car insurance (Geico, Progressive, etc)? good or bad. Out of curiosity, I got a quote and they are about 1/2 what I am now paying.
I review all my auto & homeowners' policies every year. Last year I dropped State Farm because their premiums continued to skyrocket.

I ended up going with Liberty Mutual because their premiums & coverages were considerably better than both Geico & Progressive. I initially did everything online, but have also had several phone conversations with them.

One of my homeowners' insurance premiums dropped to less than half, and all my auto policies (liability only) were lower with Liberty Mutual.

I'm satisfied.

Last edited by DrHicks; 09-29-2011 at 05:18 PM.
DrHicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 06:03 PM   #6

On-line car insurance

I've had progressive on 2 vehicles (one full coverage, one liability) for going on 6 years now. I honestly love em. It's cheaper than anybody else, my premium drops about fifty bucks every 6 months, and I've had 2 (not at fault) accidents. My old house had street parking only, and I got hit and run'd twice. Both times the little white car (adjuster) came to my job since it was easier for me, wrote the estimate, we agreed on it, and he cut me a check then and there. I wouldn't use them for homeowners insurance, but for auto stuff I've been more than happy.
Marqed97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 07:08 PM   #7
Electrical Contractor

On-line car insurance

If you are a vet, check out USAA.
Old 09-30-2011, 07:24 PM   #8

On-line car insurance

I have been using esurance for 10 years, and LOVE them! Rates are low, all documents emailed (not killing trees), payment by credit or debit card, and no hassles on claims. They are very responsive, great communications, prompt.... I can go on. I also have progressive for my boat insurance. Never a problem there either, but never had a claim, and hope not to!
TJ_in_IL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 10:32 PM   #9

On-line car insurance

We had insurance through a local agent who deals with multiple insurance comapanies and had us insured with New York Centeral Mutual (NYCM) because they had the lowest rates. NYCM dropped us because of too many accidents in the family. They even listed the one my wife was in where she was not at fault. None of them were mine. I ended up getting a lower rate over the phone with Allstate for less than our agent could find. They do not do business with Allstate or Geico. Geico's quote was higher than Allstates.

The important thing is that they can only give you close estimated quote based on the info you give them. They need more detailed info about your current coverage from your current insurance carrier before they can give you your final quote with the matching coverage.

This is our second year with Allstate and so far I am satisfied with them. They reduced our deductable 100 for being accident free and they have accident forgiveness.
Jim F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 08:01 PM   #10

On-line car insurance

i know A LOT of people that use geico, and they love it. i was actually considering switching over to that myself
TimAllen37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 10:50 AM   #11
Stuck in the 70's

On-line car insurance

Quote:
Originally Posted by rusty baker View Post
FWIW, don't forget to look at the length of the policy. Is it possible it is half the price because it is for a six month policy vs. a year?
Blondesense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 02:08 PM   #12

On-line car insurance

I found The Insurance Doctor online some 10yrs ago, and found they had a local store. They search around for the best price like Progressive does. Have been with them since and have had to visit their store only to initially start my policy.
They called some time back to tell me they found a cheaper price with another company.
*I* think having a 'live' agent to talk to is over rated. If one has a deer smash your front end late on Saturday night, your 'live' agent will not see your damage until opening time Monday morning.
Tizzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 01:55 PM   #13
Pro Flooring Installer

On-line car insurance

Tried Liberty Mutual, they wanted 3 times what I am paying now. Esurance wanted twice what I am paying. Got my current company AmFam to lower my insurance by 1/4. Still looking tho. Still trying to find someone to give me a break on a old van that I only drive 3-4 times a year. You would think there would be a break for that.