Let's Talk Weather - Off Topic - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Chatroom Community > Off Topic

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-25-2015, 11:12 PM   #1
Plumber

Rewards Points: 1,762

Let's Talk Weather

Summers winding down-- it seems every season something memorial happens.
Tropical storms. tornadoes, flooding, ice storms, blizzards, etc.

This summer my area of the NW has been hit with several wild fires.
3 fire fighters lost their lives in Washington St. last week- others injured.

Quote:
August 25, 2015

Wildfires continue to burn actively across the West. Currently, 66 large fires (or complexes) have burned nearly 1.6 million acres in 11 states.
https://www.nifc.gov/fireInfo/nfn.htm

Here is a picture I took last week while visiting a job. While it doesn't show any active fires, you can see the affect the smoke has on my region. The location is from a condo project at one of our ski slopes 40 minutes north of my town. Normally this is a nice clear "post card" view

Also an A10 tanker in Eastern WA taking care of business. (not my shot)

Fires are the news buzz around here- what's happening near you?
Attached Thumbnails
Let's Talk Weather-2015-08-17-13.32.19-1.jpg   Let's Talk Weather-wa-fire.jpg  

Advertisement

Old 08-26-2015, 06:00 AM   #2
Exterior Construction

Rewards Points: 5,960

Let's Talk Weather

Crazy pictures.

Advertisement

Windows on Wash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 02:39 PM   #3
Pro Flooring Installer

Rewards Points: 3,114

Let's Talk Weather

Coolest, wettest, summer we have had in years. A friend of mine just went to Washington with the Red Cross to help the firefighters. He volunteers for a lot of these disasters.
rusty baker is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rusty baker For This Useful Post:
Wildbill7145 (Yesterday)
Old 08-26-2015, 02:55 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,992

Let's Talk Weather

The last 3 days have been 'cold' here - in the low to mid 60šs. The kids are whining because "it's too cold outside". I love it... the weather, not the whining. If it was mid-February, we'd think it was a heat wave.

Other than that, Michigan has had a lot of rain this summer, but for some reason it seems to go around our little town each time. Even one huge storm that was the size of Lake Michigan on the radar only gave us about 20 minutes of rain.

Still, there is no snow on the ground or in the forecast, so there is absolutely nothing to complain about.

I hope those wildfires stay away from your house Eplumber.

gma2rjc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 08:06 PM   #5
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 6,578

Let's Talk Weather

After the cold last February, I would say we have had a fine summer--
More rain than usual--and not to hot---

This morning I put on a long sleeved T-shirt---all in all great---
Old 08-26-2015, 09:19 PM   #6
Plumber

Rewards Points: 1,762

Let's Talk Weather

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh'mike View Post
After the cold last February, I would say we have had a fine summer--
More rain than usual--and not to hot---

This morning I put on a long sleeved T-shirt---all in all great---
We've had something like .01" of rain this month and I swear it's been in the 90's more often than not....

Almanac says we're in for a wet winter though
oh'mike (Yesterday)
Old 08-26-2015, 09:39 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 260

Let's Talk Weather

Western tip of Lake Superior here. It seems to have been an 'average summer' around here. We went almost a month without rain, which was interesting. It peaked in the high 80's for a few weeks and was oppressively humid. Now it's suddenly very wet and cool. We've had several wicked thunderstorms the last 2 weeks, lots of rain, and 45* the last several nights, with low 60's during the day. Supposed to hit 80 again during the weekend, though.
Marqed97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 10:44 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 1,590

Let's Talk Weather

Normal summer in every respect here in Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada.

The weatherman is telling us that there's an "El Nineo" of warm water stretching from Hawaii to California in the Pacific Ocean. He's saying that's going to result in us getting another very mild winter like we had in 1997-98. I'm hoping so. Where I live, "winter" is a four letter word.

"El Nineo" is Spanish for "The Nineo".

Interestingly enough, there weren't any memorable hurricanes hitting the east coast this year. There were some doozies in the Pacific Ocean that hit the Phillipines and the Korean Peninsula, but nothing of any real consequence in the Atlantic Ocean.

Last edited by Nestor_Kelebay; 08-26-2015 at 10:55 PM.
Nestor_Kelebay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 01:29 AM   #9
(the original)

Rewards Points: 756

Let's Talk Weather

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nestor_Kelebay View Post
Normal summer in every respect here in Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada.

The weatherman is telling us that there's an "El Nineo" of warm water stretching from Hawaii to California in the Pacific Ocean. He's saying that's going to result in us getting another very mild winter like we had in 1997-98. I'm hoping so. Where I live, "winter" is a four letter word.

"El Nineo" is Spanish for "The Nineo".

Interestingly enough, there weren't any memorable hurricanes hitting the east coast this year. There were some doozies in the Pacific Ocean that hit the Phillipines and the Korean Peninsula, but nothing of any real consequence in the Atlantic Ocean.

The Spanish word you're looking for is "El Nino" with a virgulillo accent mark over the second n, I'm not sure how to make that appear or I'd throw it in there for you.
Anyway, this is the strongest recorded El Nino, hence a weak Atlantic system due to lower sea temps, worse than usual fire hazard on the west coast due to moisture being drawn to the heat rise in the central Pacific, and we should have a colder than usual winter in the continental US. I haven't looked into how it might affect you northern neighbors.
ratherbefishin' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 04:17 AM   #10
An old Tradesmen

Rewards Points: 9,566

Let's Talk Weather

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratherbefishin' View Post
The Spanish word you're looking for is "El Nino" with a virgulillo accent mark over the second n, I'm not sure how to make that appear or I'd throw it in there for you.
Anyway, this is the strongest recorded El Nino, hence a weak Atlantic system due to lower sea temps, worse than usual fire hazard on the west coast due to moisture being drawn to the heat rise in the central Pacific, and we should have a colder than usual winter in the continental US. I haven't looked into how it might affect you northern neighbors.
Niņo

Hold alt key, and type 0241 on the numeric keypad to make ņ.
Old Yesterday, 10:16 AM   #11
Ole Wood Worker

Rewards Points: 4,500

Let's Talk Weather

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratherbefishin' View Post
That is what I heard, that being the case, we are in for a rough winter, or you folks up north are. Not often do we see snow down this way anymore.

We usually don't get this slight cool snap until the second week in September, things are changing. Our summer here in the midsouth was not as hot as it has been and way more rain.

If you aim at nothing, you will hit it every time!

Jim
BigJim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:25 AM   #12

Rewards Points: 166

Let's Talk Weather

Eastern shore of Lake Huron. Worst summer in the 8yrs I've lived here. Just was just cold and rainy. Finally kind of picked up in July. Had a handful of hot, hot days in August.

About a week ago, it felt like fall hit overnight. Cold, raining every day. Leaves are even turning.

Our vegetable garden is 100% a total write off this year. Not one good tomato. Usually we have bushels full.
Wildbill7145 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Wildbill7145 For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 04:28 PM   #13
Pro Flooring Installer

Rewards Points: 3,114

Let's Talk Weather

El Nino's literal translation is "the child". (masculine version) (female would be la nina.)
rusty baker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 05:10 PM   #14

Rewards Points: 1,458

Let's Talk Weather

Watching tropical storms develop and turn into hurricanes. Danny fizzled now it's Erikas turn.
Startingover is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Startingover For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 09:44 PM   #15

Rewards Points: 1,590

Let's Talk Weather

People dread winters up here. Every year someone gets drunk and loses his sense of judgement, and decides to have a nap in a snowbank on the way home. Needless to say, they fall asleep and never wake up. They freeze to death in the snow.

Interestingly enough, sled dogs can sleep in the snow. That's because their metabolic rate is so much higher than ours that their bodies produce enough heat to keep them warm even inside a snowbank. If anyone remembers them, the 1970's rock band called "Tree Dog Night" got their name from the Inuit practice of bringing sled dogs into their tents or temporary snow shelters to warm up those places. Each Innuit man would sleeping with one or several sled dogs around him, and that was like sleeping with one or several hot water bottles. And, for what it's worth, a "three dog" night would be a very cold night indeed.

Advertisement

oh'mike (Today), Startingover (Today)