Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > The Break Room > Off Topic

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Closed Thread

Old 09-08-2010, 12:35 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

legit work in Chicago now?

I wonder if the retirement of "da Mare" Richard Daley, is going to allow some of you electricians etc., to get some legit work in Chicago now. Unless you get Rahm Emanuel in there, there's going to be no one to hook up his friends and cronies with city jobs anymore.

Old 09-09-2010, 08:51 AM   #2
Jack of all - master none

Mayor Daley is hardly the most crooked part of Chicago government. Nothing will change except the names on some office doors.

The Following User Says Thank You to hyunelan2 For This Useful Post:
Handy Vinny (09-10-2010)
Old 09-09-2010, 11:55 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Equator View Post
I wonder if the retirement of "da Mare" Richard Daley, is going to allow some of you electricians etc., to get some legit work in Chicago now. Unless you get Rahm Emanuel in there, there's going to be no one to hook up his friends and cronies with city jobs anymore.
You do not know anything about Chicago; if you did, you would know that Rahm Emanuel is a boss-style politician just like the current-Daley and Old Man Daley before him. The City of Chicago is a political abomination. Its political machinery is so far removed from other normal cities, that it cannot even function, ironically enough, without a political Boss and organized crime.

Does anyone disagree with me?
Old 09-09-2010, 12:26 PM   #4
fabrk8r

Handy, read Mr. Equator's post again, he said the same thing you did.
Old 09-09-2010, 12:58 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by fabrk8r View Post
Handy, read Mr. Equator's post again, he said the same thing you did.
Ah, I see.

I sincerely apologize, and I admit that much of my anger stems from my own personal and very terrible experiences with city bureaucrats, slimy pols, and the Crook County… I mean Cook County, Court System. (Some of you may know what I am referring to, specifically.)

This is not a rant, and I promise I will leave it alone after this, but let me add that even if Rahm Emanuel does not become mayor, the suggestion that, upon Daley's departure, Chicago will magically become the Promised Land for unemployed tradesman and DIYers looking to become professionals is absurd.

Here is the problem, as I see it. Regardless of what Daley says, he is going to hand-pick his successor. Daley owns the aldermen who collectively have authority over all the precinct captains. What Daley wants, Daley gets, and using whatever back channels are available to him, he is going to hand-pick the next mayor, which, I believe will be Rahm Emanuel who is now a very powerful, international political figure. If that does not happen, it will be some other boss-style pol. Voting is a sick joke and extremely pointless exercise in Chicago.

The next mayor is going to carry out the Daley program of patronage, per usual, which means that any tradesman who is currently out of work, is going to be out of work 2-years from now because the jobs and city contracts are going to go to allies of the Boss, as well as contracting and construction companies that are connected to the mob.

Daley is the most powerful man in Illinois; or, better yet, the Daley Machine is the most powerful entity in Illinois, and it does not require that a Daley be in City Hall for it thrive.

Mark my words, his lawyer and war veteran-son, Patrick, is going to be mayor someday, also.

Last edited by Handy Vinny; 09-09-2010 at 01:02 PM.
Old 09-09-2010, 02:08 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyunelan2 View Post
Mayor Daley is hardly the most crooked part of Chicago government. Nothing will change except the names on some office doors.
Maybe so. But the Daley "apparatus" is the most crooked part of Chicago.
Old 09-09-2010, 05:46 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handy Vinny View Post
Ah, I see.

I sincerely apologize, and I admit that much of my anger stems from my own personal and very terrible experiences with city bureaucrats, slimy pols, and the Crook County… I mean Cook County, Court System. (Some of you may know what I am referring to, specifically.)
How did the city wrong you?

Just to let you know the government has cracked down on "patronage" by which I'm guessing you mean city jobs to cronies. Chicago is Graft City, but why are you so convinced that the new guy is going to control jobs and contracts as much as Daley?
Old 09-10-2010, 09:40 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Equator View Post
How did the city wrong you?
As much as I appreciate it, I cannot answer this question to the extent that I would like to. At one time, there had basically been an entire Off Topic thread devoted to it, though I am not sure if it is still up or not. Let me just say that I have had some very serious—extremely serious—problems with a highflying Chicago attorney and the Cook County court System, stemming from what they considered to be my harrassment crimes pertratrated by telephone.

Last edited by Handy Vinny; 09-10-2010 at 10:00 AM.
Old 09-10-2010, 10:32 AM   #9

Quote:
My conviction was two counts of felony telephone harassment, stemming from a hangup telephone call I received in March of 2005.

I was unfamiliar with the caller's number, as displayed on my caller ID, and became very aggravated when the unknown caller would not pick up his phone when I tried contacting him. I was simply curious as to the purpose of his original call. The situation escalated when I decided to start leaving messages on his voicemail. Apparently, as the anger and confusion I expressed in the messages increased, so did the apparent "criminal" nature of my telephone activities. Without realizing it, I dialed his phone number 377 times in a single evening, according to his records. I clogged his voicemail after the 22nd message. I was charged the following day. As things turned out, he was an elderly yet very powerful trustee at one of the big shot law firms in the city.

His original purpose for calling me--the call that precipitated the tragic and senseless felony charges--was accidental. That is, he thought he was calling his wife at home, but misdialed MY number, instead.
We've been thru this before Vinny
Dialing someone's house that many times in one night due to a hang up call is not perceived harrassment
Old 09-10-2010, 12:50 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuba_Dave View Post
We've been thru this before Vinny
Dialing someone's house that many times in one night due to a hang up call is not perceived harrassment
Touché? I think not.

It is impossible to have a conversation regarding this matter if you are just going to espouse the same view as the judge, who, in my opinion, failed to take into account the context in which these phone calls were made. Let's not forget that I was victimized by a hang-up up call, which is what precipitated this whole unnecessary mess. I returned the call several times to get to the bottom of it, and the cowardly caller did not pick up his phone to engage me.

In my opinion, it was blown way out of proportion. I admit, I used some foul language while leaving voice messages, but it was in the interest of what my attorney correctly called "linguistic creativity" and communicating my feelings. The "victim" (LOL ) pretended to have construed my use of profanity as "abusive" and "threatening" in order to trump-up the charges. What a complete joke.

Look, Nathan will not tolerate a repeat of this discussion, and I will respect that. So, for those who are interested, I will be addressing this matter on my new blog. (I had to shut down the old one because anonymous commentators—who were probably my neighbors--kept posting these lengthy screeds that were meant to harass and humiliate me.) I will post the link here soon, and I invite any and all comments and encourage thread participation.

Just to keep this post within the scope of the thread’s topic, I would like to say that my contempt for Chicago Machine politics is directly related to this incident, as both the judge and “victim” (LOL ) are cronies.

Last edited by Handy Vinny; 09-10-2010 at 01:00 PM.
Old 09-10-2010, 01:33 PM   #11
uva uvam videndo variafit

Sounds to me like Vinny could use some therapy.
Old 09-10-2010, 02:07 PM   #12

You cry the victim after this phone call "attack" on your part
But then you think in another thread here that someone simply walking on the floor above should be subject to Police/possible lawsuit due to normal noise

You seem to favor only that which acts in your favor
Nathan wasn't the one to remove that info in that thread...I was
Nathan was the one to ban you after you continued playing games & stirring up trouble

Most politicial & religous threads on most boards are shutdown or simply not allowed in the 1st place
As such this one is being shut down now

Closed Thread