Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Community > Off Topic

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-16-2010, 10:00 PM   #1

Share |

least favorite DIY show?

Mine has to be "ask this old house"

"On this episode, we'll show you how to dig up a plant and put it into another hole in the ground"

Geez, what is this garbage?

Tonglebeak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 04:49 AM   #2

least favorite DIY show?

well not everyone is as smart as you,and it does take some knowledge to transplant a valuable plant

Tom Struble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 07:01 AM   #3

least favorite DIY show?

Interesting question. Good idea for a post.

I tend to like this old house hour. It remains one of my favorites (along with holmes on homes) and one of the few shows that actually demonstrates HOW to do something. So many of the rest skip the how part and are little more than crazy hosts and simple before/after shots.

My least favorite? Probably extreme makeover and shows like it.
oberkc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 07:24 AM   #4
Learning by Doing

least favorite DIY show?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonglebeak View Post
Mine has to be "ask this old house"

"On this episode, we'll show you how to dig up a plant and put it into another hole in the ground"

Geez, what is this garbage?
I don't like DIY shows at all - but at least 'ask this old house' shows how things get done in real time with real-world applications.

FOAF was on Trading Spaces and their 'new room' was so awful that a local contractor re-did it for free.
Old 03-17-2010, 08:00 AM   #5

least favorite DIY show?

I'm not sure on my least favorite
There is one that sticks out....a guy that has a voice I don't like
Color Splash is the name of the show

Some of the $1-2k makeover shows I do not like
I have seen some very cheap fixes that will not last
Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 02:22 PM   #6
Stuck in the 70's

least favorite DIY show?

Actually "Ask this old house" is one of my favorites. Yeah, I understand for you guys "in the business" it may be a bit too basic, but for a lot of uneducated homeowners it covers topics more thoroughly than the silly HGTV shows that show before and after pics and not much else.

The other day I watched an episode that covered installing a bathroom vent fan. Since we don't have one and it is on my to-do list I found it very informative.

I don't know about least favorite show, but least favorite host would be Eric Stromer? I haven't seen him lately. Bleached blond surfer dude type.

Last edited by Blondesense; 03-17-2010 at 02:35 PM.
Blondesense is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 12:06 PM   #7

least favorite DIY show?

I'm not even sure if it qualifies as a DIY show, but Cool Tools is nothing but paid (I assume) advertising.
forresth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 12:55 PM   #8
the Musigician

least favorite DIY show?

Quote:
Originally Posted by oberkc View Post
My least favorite? Probably extreme makeover and shows like it.
Totally agree.... I always scream at the TV, "HEY! I"M POOR TOO! COME BUILD MINE FOR FREE!" but they never hear me..... so I just get back to work....

DM
Old 03-23-2010, 07:12 PM   #9

least favorite DIY show?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leah Frances View Post
I don't like DIY shows at all - but at least 'ask this old house' shows how things get done in real time with real-world applications.
Yeah, I'm eating crow now. I just watched Ask this Old House again tonight, and it was an episode on how to fix water hammer, and how to replace a door. I must say I learned quite a bit from it.
Old 03-23-2010, 07:57 PM   #10
Learning by Doing

least favorite DIY show?

Oh, I do a nice stewed Crow with Mango Salsa. Enjoy!

As a child I LOVED Hometime - I think it was the lightly jazzy ez listening soundtrack and the ambiguous relationships between the host and hostess.
Old 03-24-2010, 03:29 AM   #11
paper hanger and painter

least favorite DIY show?

Quote:

FOAF was on Trading Spaces and their 'new room' was so awful that a local contractor re-did it for free.

FOAF??
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 08:03 AM   #12
Learning by Doing

least favorite DIY show?

FOAF - Friend of a Friend.
Old 03-24-2010, 10:06 AM   #13

least favorite DIY show?

Has to be Renovation Realities on HGTV.

I stumbled across an episode where some idiot by the name of Shae, Shane, or something was doing a kitchen remodel by himself. First his project plan has him completing demo *AND* having the floor replaced with rough in for the plumbing in *ONE DAY*! Next he knocks down a load bearing wall in a way that bothered me then what really got me up on my hind legs was his taking a sawzall to a gas pipe that he had no idea how to confirm was shut off *AFTER* smelling gas in the pipe with the flip comment of "What's the worst that could happen? Blowing up the house."!!!

At first I was amazed that the Safety Officer[1] would let the idiot do something like that while the crew was filming it happen then I realized that there was actually no way that the SO would so it was total staged BS taking the show from an interesting study in how not to do something to yet another scripted reality show. What a waste.

[1] As I understand it there has to be one on the show. This from seeing a behind the scenes look at Dirty Job's on Discovery Channel. Before the host or any of the crew can do something the SO has to approve it and ensure that safety precautions are in place because of insurance requirements where a crew is filming in what are considered hazardous conditions which would include amateur construction work.
clb2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 03:44 PM   #14

least favorite DIY show?

Quote:
Oh, I do a nice stewed Crow with Mango Salsa. Enjoy!

As a child I LOVED Hometime - I think it was the lightly jazzy ez listening soundtrack and the ambiguous relationships between the host and hostess.
Wow, Hometime was the equivalent to **** when I was a little kid. I absolutely loved that show. Of course I had no idea what was going on, but I wanted to be a carpenter and "build a house that tornados can't hurt" when I was a little kid. Needless to say I'm not a carpenter lol.
Old 03-24-2010, 05:26 PM   #15

least favorite DIY show?

Quote:
Originally Posted by clb2010 View Post
Has to be Renovation Realities on HGTV.

I stumbled across an episode where some idiot by the name of Shae, Shane, or something was doing a kitchen remodel by himself. First his project plan has him completing demo *AND* having the floor replaced with rough in for the plumbing in *ONE DAY*! Next he knocks down a load bearing wall in a way that bothered me then what really got me up on my hind legs was his taking a sawzall to a gas pipe that he had no idea how to confirm was shut off *AFTER* smelling gas in the pipe with the flip comment of "What's the worst that could happen? Blowing up the house."!!!

At first I was amazed that the Safety Officer[1] would let the idiot do something like that while the crew was filming it happen then I realized that there was actually no way that the SO would so it was total staged BS taking the show from an interesting study in how not to do something to yet another scripted reality show. What a waste.

[1] As I understand it there has to be one on the show. This from seeing a behind the scenes look at Dirty Job's on Discovery Channel. Before the host or any of the crew can do something the SO has to approve it and ensure that safety precautions are in place because of insurance requirements where a crew is filming in what are considered hazardous conditions which would include amateur construction work.
Thanks for sharing that. I actually saw that episode, and wondered what kind of idiot camera man would stay there and film while the stupid fool was sawing away at the gas pipe! Guess you've explained it.

I'm with you: What a waste!

Itsdanf is offline   Reply With Quote