Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > The Break Room > Off Topic

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-12-2009, 08:31 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 2,000

LCD/Plasma more $$, so less TV's ?

When I thought of building our sunroom & great room I had planned on a TV in the sunroom, a big screen on one side of the great room, then a ~30" TV in the bar area of the great room
You used to be able to pick up a 30" tube TV for under $300
Now those days are gone

Our tube TV's are dying off, a 13" that was 25 years old went, a 19" around the same age went. I've had the 26" NEC TV disconnected for over a year. I went to put it in the sunroom & it won't work. It was 23 years old
The 35" CRT TV (almost 14 years old) only works with the signal going thru the VCR 1st

Because of this we bought a 42" LCD a while ago
While the diagonal picture is 42", the height is 1" smaller then the 35" TV
The wife wanted to get a 32" LCD TV to replace the 35" CRT
But the 32" LCD/Plasma's are SMALL

So we are "down" to the 42" LCD
The 35" as the 2nd TV in our bedroom
Wife has a 19" TV in the guest bedroom
Someone was getting rid of a 14" tube TV so that is in the sunroom
And of course the 7" TV/DVD fior travelling for our son

Due to the smaller height/smaller picture (and I'm not getting any younger) the smallest TV I'd buy now is a 37-40"
That means $500 for a decent TV - on sale
I guess I shouldn't "complain"
We used to have one TV as a kid & we all watched the same show

Just wondering who else is not buying a TV to replace an extra TV that died - especiialy in the economy today

Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 10:02 PM   #2
DIY Hack

Rewards Points: 500

You could get a TV for everyroom with this deal

Mr Chips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 10:10 PM   #3

I actually found that before it became news
I had added it to my cart
But I was trying to verify what it was
There were some items that were just a "bezel" that went around the TV screen for the same price
Not that it mattered as they were not honoring that price
Old 08-13-2009, 08:51 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 560

We only use one TV. When I finish the mudroom, we'll take our current 21" Magnovox (13 years), put it there and buy a new one for our family room.
Old 08-22-2009, 11:15 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 250

I strongly recommend for people to keep their old sets as long as they can. We are all used to having a TV last 10-20 years, but with the flat-panel sets, you'll be lucky to get 5 years out of them. When you buy one, only buy a brand that has a factory service center located in you town/city. Also, get an extended warranty. I have been in the TV repair business for over 32 years, and I am talking from experience on this. I am seeing more and more sets less that 3 years old, where the parts are either discontinued, or priced higher that a new TV would cost. Unfortunately, the tube type TVs are being discontinued, so we will all be buying the flat-panel sets before long.
bofusmosby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 12:21 PM   #6
Pro Flooring Installer

Rewards Points: 2,126

I keep hearing that the plasma tv's have to be "serviced/reloaded" every 2 or 3 years. Anyone know if this is true? They say it is expensive.
rusty baker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 12:37 PM   #7

Ther is no gas that needs to be refilled in the plasma screen. This is a sealed glass assembly, and there are no methods of doing this. I have heard the same thing, but in the real world, at least with the consumer sets, this is not an option.
Old 08-23-2009, 03:14 PM   #8

Just scored a 27" Sony Trinitron off Craigslist for FREE!!
It's less then 8 years old
They had it connected but when it went digital they didn't feel like getting another box to watch TV
Works great, 2nd newest TV we have now
Old 08-23-2009, 04:30 PM   #9

Sounds like you got a good set. A lot of people are getting rid of their older sets to get the new technology. They're going to be upset when their set starts giving problems in a few years, and the repair price might be as high as a replacement TV. At the shop where I work, I am seeing more and more people wanting to keep their older sets going as long as they can. These are the ones that have been doing their research concerning the life expectance of the new technology. I know that the new sets that are high defination have a great picture, but being in the service industry, I look at things a bit different. I am NOT impressed the flat-panel sets. as far as quality goes.
Old 08-26-2009, 05:09 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 1,126

Dave, sounds like you scored on that Trinitron. I was thinking you somehow had to get a set so you could watch the Terps this season.

Bofus, no offense but I've started to treat some things as disposables because the ratio between replacement cost vs hourly repair and parts costs make it more cost effective to just buy a replacement. TVs now fall into that category for me. It pains me to say that because my Dad could fix anything (including TVs), taught me how to fix most things and I absolutely hate to pitch things instead of fix them.

The switch on my wife's 17" CRT computer monitor failed recently. I was going to replace it but saw Best Buy was selling 20" LCD monitors for $109. I really couldn't justify taking the time to find, buy and replace the switch when I could get a bigger screen that takes up less space on the desk for a little more. And I know if I had to pay someone to replace it it would be close to the even money. I don't know how a repair shop stays in business anymore.

I understand your concern about the longevity of the flat screens but I bought a WallMart special 37" HD over 5 years ago (cheapest one I could find) and it's doing fine. If I had to it looks like I could replace it for under half what I paid for it. If it stopped working there's no way I'd take it to a repair shop and put a couple hundred bucks into it. I'd just say Honey it looks like we can get a 50" screen for the same amount we paid for this one.

When the Chinese stop working so cheap we might have to learn how to fix things again but until that time the electronics repair shops are going to suffer.

jogr is offline   Reply With Quote