Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Community > Off Topic

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-18-2013, 07:32 PM   #1
I'm Your Huckleberry

Share |

Lance Armstrong Admits to Doping

He's even been stripped of his 2000 Olympic Bronze medal. Thoughts?

Old 01-18-2013, 07:52 PM   #2
the Musigician

Yup, lots of lies out there it would seem.

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2013...tion-of-liars/

DM

Old 01-18-2013, 08:55 PM   #3
I'm Your Huckleberry

For those who don't know Lance won the opening prologue (time trial) and subsequently the entire Tour De France in 1999, his first. At that time they took urine samples directly after the opening stage. Testing for EPO was not then in use, the latest drug for endurance athletes. It was only found in 2005 after testing for the drug was in place that he tested positive in those 1999 samples, why the 2000 Olympic medal was taken from him as well as all seven Tour De France titles.

I'm watching part two of the Oprah interview right now. He feels as if when others doped and were caught and were subsequently punished with six month bans that his lifetime ban is a "death sentence." He can't even run a marathon if it's sanctioned. Alberto Contador (Spanish cyclist) who doped and was caught, stripped of his Tour De France title a few years ago was banned for two years. He's been back but has not won a race since, at least not that I know of.

Lance wants to run the Boston Marathon next year when he's 50. I think they should let him at least do that.

Last edited by Doc Holliday; 01-18-2013 at 09:06 PM.
Doc Holliday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 08:58 PM   #4
Pro Flooring Installer

Everyone in cycling cheats. Let him keep his medals, or just stop the whole sport.
rusty baker is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rusty baker For This Useful Post:
AGWhitehouse (01-21-2013)
Old 01-18-2013, 09:05 PM   #5
I'm Your Huckleberry

Quote:
Originally Posted by rusty baker View Post
Everyone in cycling cheats. Let him keep his medals, or just stop the whole sport.
I don't think it's fair to assume that Rusty as there's more than a few great cyclists that have never once been questioned as to their integrity such as Cadel Evans of Australia, but on the other side of that coin it's been said amongst cyclists for years now that yes, all the pros do so it's pretty much an equal and level playing field.

Perhaps on that note he simply trained the hardest...??
Old 01-18-2013, 09:05 PM   #6

Why do we put athletes on a pedestal anyway? Why are we (as a nation) so interested in what they do? He made millions of dollars riding a bike and making commercials, among other things. Even if he wasn't caught lying, drugging and cheating, who cares?

There are guys and gals over in Afghanistan who are doing things Lance Armstrong and most other athletes could not even imagine doing or have the guts to do. I'd rather hear about what they've accomplished and what they go through on a daily basis.

It's wrong. Athletes make millions of dollars and become famous for training and playing a game. They make the news every day. Our soldiers give of themselves 24 hours a day, can't be home to hold their kids, have financial problems, get shot at or blown up and end up missing body parts, etc. etc. But they are hardly mentioned in the media.

It's all backwards. The guys and gals defending our country should get the big bucks and lots of recognition. They're the hero's - not the athletes.

gma2rjc is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to gma2rjc For This Useful Post:
47_47 (01-21-2013), AGWhitehouse (01-21-2013), BigJim (01-19-2013), Bill7 (01-21-2013), Bondo (01-19-2013), cdaniels (01-20-2013), chrisn (01-19-2013), drtbk4ever (01-21-2013), GBrackins (01-21-2013)
Old 01-18-2013, 09:57 PM   #7
I'm Your Huckleberry

Hundreds of millions although his endorsements such as Anheuser Busch, Nike, Oakley (sunglasses) and Trek bicycles have now turned their backs on him as well.

Even his own Livestrong Foundation that he himself began asked him to step completely away from the brand.
Old 01-19-2013, 03:56 AM   #8
paper hanger and painter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Holliday View Post
Hundreds of millions although his endorsements such as Anheuser Busch, Nike, Oakley (sunglasses) and Trek bicycles have now turned their backs on him as well.

Even his own Livestrong Foundation that he himself began asked him to step completely away from the brand.

good
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to chrisn For This Useful Post:
Bondo (01-19-2013)
Old 01-19-2013, 05:49 AM   #9
Thread killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Holliday View Post
He feels as if when others doped and were caught and were subsequently punished with six month bans that his lifetime ban is a "death sentence." He can't even run a marathon if it's sanctioned. Alberto Contador (Spanish cyclist) who doped and was caught, stripped of his Tour De France title a few years ago was banned for two years. He's been back but has not won a race since, at least not that I know of.

Lance wants to run the Boston Marathon next year when he's 50. I think they should let him at least do that.
He feels its unfair that got a lifetime ban when others got 6 months? Perhaps he forgets the complexity and depth of the drug program he was part of and the fact that ANY question to the legitimacy of his accomplishments resulted in a personal attack through the court system. I don't recall the other cheaters being so vociferous when they were caught. He acted like a bully until the very end and he's surprised that when he was finally caught, that they dropped a sledgehammer on him?
I think he did a good thing with the Livestrong foundation and I'll continue to support it, but that in no way makes him any less of an a-hole.
(Rant over)
Bondo (01-19-2013), drtbk4ever (01-21-2013)
Old 01-19-2013, 09:05 AM   #10
I'm Your Huckleberry

I agree that the depth of his disguise is much deeper than those whom were caught early on. It's been noted that he's paid one million dollars over the course of a decade to Doctor Ferrari, the famed Italian blood transfusion doctor.

Ferrari is now banned from the cycling circuit.
Old 01-19-2013, 06:52 PM   #11
I'm Your Huckleberry

searching through photobucket looking for some pics of my old Specialized Elite road racing bicycle which I sold a few years ago, I came across across this pic, thought I'd lighten the mood around these parts. Sadie, the pup I "flipped".

I brought her from some young girls who were turning her in to The Houston SPCA to give her a better chance of survival. She eventually went to a willing and loving mother-12 year old son and one 4 year old four legged friend triplet family, now a quartet.

Beautiful dog, inside and out.
Old 01-20-2013, 09:48 PM   #12
I'm Your Huckleberry

As soon as I bought this road racing bicycle I raced a member of a local cycling forum 60 miles, loser to give up bike. I let him keep his.

Last edited by Doc Holliday; 01-20-2013 at 09:52 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Doc Holliday For This Useful Post:
creeper (01-21-2013)
Old 01-21-2013, 07:37 AM   #13

Nice to see a couple cyclists on this forum!

Doc, nice bike. Mine is a Cervelo Soloist, going on its 12th season. I ride my old Lemond Poprad more though. Now there was a cyclist!

Anyway, on this Lance stuff...I always had my suspicions, but like many, I wanted to believe.

I still think there is much more info. to the story that is critical for any doping agency to find out.

1. He was arguably the most tested athlete. The French and UCI gave up. How and what did the USDA have that was any different?

2. If he was able to get away (pun?) with this for this long, his network must have been huge. Who are all these people? UCI? Athletes? Coaches? Managers? Johan Bruyneel? Cancer Docs? They all covered for him as well.

Anyway, glad I never buy products based on athletes. Except for the old Poprad.

Lemond remains the best US cyclist!
Bill7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 11:24 AM   #14

I hope after the Armstrong debacle that ALL pro cyclists go under and continually go under the same microscope. Don't let it be only him (just because he won so much) or the whole sport will be a sham.

Secondly, and MOST importantly, I hope that the Live Strong foundation is not negatively affected by this drama. It is a fantastic organization that helps out alot of people and to lose it would be the largest of all the shame being surfaced...
Old 01-21-2013, 12:24 PM   #15
I'm Your Huckleberry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill7 View Post
Nice to see a couple cyclists on this forum!

Doc, nice bike. Mine is a Cervelo Soloist, going on its 12th season. I ride my old Lemond Poprad more though. Now there was a cyclist!

Anyway, on this Lance stuff...I always had my suspicions, but like many, I wanted to believe.

I still think there is much more info. to the story that is critical for any doping agency to find out.

1. He was arguably the most tested athlete. The French and UCI gave up. How and what did the USDA have that was any different?

2. If he was able to get away (pun?) with this for this long, his network must have been huge. Who are all these people? UCI? Athletes? Coaches? Managers? Johan Bruyneel? Cancer Docs? They all covered for him as well.

Anyway, glad I never buy products based on athletes. Except for the old Poprad.

Lemond remains the best US cyclist!
Thanks for the bike compliment. I've been without one now for two years and am seriously considering a new build.

1.) as is within the judicial system, a no contest plea in a courtroom is still considered, seen and punished as a guilty verdict, minus your actual signing off on your own admittance. when you don't say anything, you lose. this time around since Lance decided to quit fighting he simply lost.

2.) yup, everyone. apparently the charade was highly Italian mob-ish in that the tour bus would stop on the side of the road to pick up drugs which had been taped or tied to trees, do their business on the bus and make special stop off points for their trash to be picked and disposed of secretly.

Lance is by far the best American cyclist there has and probably ever will have, it's just that he "doped" to be so. drugs certainly didn't make him a worse athlete, just an illegal one, imo, but that can be another debate entirely.

Last edited by Doc Holliday; 01-21-2013 at 01:33 PM.