Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Community > Off Topic

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-13-2011, 03:42 AM   #1

Share |

lack of education OR too many people own houses ?

anyone else noticing the lucidity of questions is dropping faster than obama's positive ratings ? can only assume either too many ignorant people now own homes thanks to b frank & c dodd OR no one paid attn in english class & can't communicate properly. OR maybe its just me

stadry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 06:10 AM   #2
DIY staff

U R juz getn ole' an grumpie--moze peeple am collegde edukated now an juz smarder dan Y.

Y r jallouse!!!

concretemasonry (07-13-2011), Willie T (07-13-2011)
Old 07-13-2011, 06:33 AM   #3

To me: many young people buy houses but live in them like condos/apartments. They seem to ignore the outside. That is part of the house and they are part of a community. Pick up trash, even if it is not yours. Plant some flowers, shrubs, trees, etc. Make the place look lived in. Yes, I am an old fart, and we have a lot of young people in our developement that just don't seem to care. Go live in a condo!!!!
End of rant!!

I think that when people buy a house, they discover that it can be expensive to have someone else do the maintenance. So they say, "I can do that", but in reality they have no clue how to do that. That is what these forums are for, what better place to learn than from others that know how??? If you don't know the answer, there are no stupid questions. Not everyone knows what a stub or joist is, but this is a good place to start learning.
Just Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 07:02 AM   #4
Not so new

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsreallyconc View Post
anyone else noticing the lucidity of questions is dropping faster than obama's positive ratings ? can only assume either too many ignorant people now own homes thanks to b frank & c dodd OR no one paid attn in english class & can't communicate properly. OR maybe its just me
I think its the latter Im okay with misspelled words I can usually figure it out its the lack of punctuation that drives me crazy running sentences together some posts dont seem to have a cohesive thought in them just realized how hard it is to write like this
12penny is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 12penny For This Useful Post:
concretemasonry (07-14-2011), drtbk4ever (07-14-2011)
Old 07-13-2011, 07:05 AM   #5

that's why you're a super-moderator & bill is just bill while12pennyisjustthinkingoutloud
stadry is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to stadry For This Useful Post:
gma2rjc (07-13-2011)
Old 07-13-2011, 07:16 AM   #6
Not so new

12penny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 08:55 AM   #7
Work Hard, Play Harder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Bill View Post
To me: many young people buy houses but live in them like condos/apartments. They seem to ignore the outside. That is part of the house and they are part of a community. Pick up trash, even if it is not yours. Plant some flowers, shrubs, trees, etc. Make the place look lived in. Yes, I am an old fart, and we have a lot of young people in our developement that just don't seem to care. Go live in a condo!!!!
End of rant!!

I think that when people buy a house, they discover that it can be expensive to have someone else do the maintenance. So they say, "I can do that", but in reality they have no clue how to do that. That is what these forums are for, what better place to learn than from others that know how??? If you don't know the answer, there are no stupid questions. Not everyone knows what a stub or joist is, but this is a good place to start learning.

There has to be a change of attitude on everyone's part. It can't just be "I feel this way because I'm old and you young people don't care". My generation doesn't accept these kinds of explanations and since it only creates more distance and frustration, it makes the problem worse.

Your age or my age has nothing to do with it. There are young guys working hard on their homes (inside and out). I'm one of them; always have been. Meanwhile my mom argues that "the government and my neighbors have no right, my house can look however I want". Yes, I'm a young fart, and we have a lot of old people in our neighborhood that just don't seem to care. Go live in a condo!!!

EDIT: Removed rant.

Last edited by coderguy; 07-13-2011 at 09:30 AM.
coderguy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to coderguy For This Useful Post:
1910NE (07-13-2011)
Old 07-13-2011, 09:17 AM   #8

Doesn't say much for oneself to bash on the people trying to make an effort to better themselves. It's like laughing at the fat man at the gym. Their ignorance is the reason they are here asking for help....
AGWhitehouse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AGWhitehouse For This Useful Post:
Mr Chips (07-13-2011)
Old 07-13-2011, 12:54 PM   #9
DIY Hack

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsreallyconc View Post
anyone else noticing the lucidity of questions is dropping faster than obama's positive ratings ? can only assume either too many ignorant people now own homes
It might be wise to check you facts before accusing others of being ignorant, I'm just saying.....

http://www.gallup.com/poll/113980/ga...-approval.aspx

Now if you really want to see what plummeting approval ratings look like

Last edited by Mr Chips; 07-13-2011 at 01:00 PM.
Mr Chips is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mr Chips For This Useful Post:
coderguy (07-13-2011)
Old 07-13-2011, 01:14 PM   #10

Maybe I read the original post wrong but I don't think the original poster was bashing anyone for asking questions, just the way that they're doing it (lack of punctuation, proper grammer, etc).

And I'd have to say I agree. Some of the posts are barely recognizable as english (on many other sites as well).
burnt03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 01:28 PM   #11
DIY Hack

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnt03 View Post
And I'd have to say I agree. Some of the posts are barely recognizable as english (on many other sites as well).
It's simply the informal nature of the internet and getting worse everyday with texting and twitter imposing character limits on messages. We are conditioned to believe that it's acceptable to break the rules in electronic social media. Perhaps you should take another look at the OPs original post, it is far from following the guidelines of proper grammar. Personally I think he's more concerned with bashing Democrats than he is about the grammatical integrity of this chat forum.

The other thing to remember is ( as I far as I know) this chat room isn't restricted to citizens of English speaking countries. What barely looks like English is, in some cases, someones best attempt to translate their question or answer from their native language to English.

Last edited by Mr Chips; 07-13-2011 at 01:54 PM.
Mr Chips is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mr Chips For This Useful Post:
gstuartw (07-13-2011)
Old 07-13-2011, 01:49 PM   #12
the Musigician

It's a good thing we have a "spell checker gremlin" that watches the new posts and corrects the insanely misspelled titles when necessary.
(How many times the gremlin has seen and fixed furance to read FURNACE is beyond counting...)
But you have to admit, we have the most readable and correctly spelled thread titles on the net!

DM
Old 07-13-2011, 02:22 PM   #13

political commentary aside, it does sometime feel like there are people using a language that I am unfamiliar with. Part of that is the younger "computer" generation who are just now becoming home owners. They have an "on line" language that is as hard to understand as a Swede with no English skills. On the other hand, I regularly stumble across posts/ conversations where the parties involved are so technically advanced on a given subject that I don't understand them either...

Finally, lets not forget that the English language has been evolving for a long time, and still is. No doubt the British still have some heartburn about how we here in the US misuse it.
1910NE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 02:45 PM   #14

Here's my opinion for what its worth.(not much). I believe that its a combination of things. First of all you have a very struggling economy and every one is trying to save a buck. Second the DIY/Home improvement shows empower all the suit type people that the trades are easy. When you have a half hour show and they completely remodel a bathroom with out any problems. Most people get in over their heads. Before they know it, it's been 6 weeks and they can't use the bathroom. The trades that most of us have done for a life time can't be taught online or in a half hour show. People have to understand there is a process to every trade and every situation will be different. No one can see behind the scenes of the actual people doing the work. Or the frustration that comes with some projects where you go home and spend the night curled up in ball crying. As for terminoligy its definitely the internet age. And the British would be speaking German if not for us.

Last edited by kmkiley; 07-13-2011 at 02:47 PM.
kmkiley is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to kmkiley For This Useful Post:
DangerMouse (07-13-2011), jomama45 (07-14-2011), ThatDaveGuy (07-13-2011)
Old 07-13-2011, 03:03 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerMouse View Post
It's a good thing we have a "spell checker gremlin" that watches the new posts and corrects the insanely misspelled titles when necessary.
(How many times the gremlin has seen and fixed furance to read FURNACE is beyond counting...)
But you have to admit, we have the most readable and correctly spelled thread titles on the net!

DM
Furnace can't be as bad as refridgerater........refrigerater..... refrigerator.

Tizzer is offline   Reply With Quote