Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Community > Off Topic

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-11-2011, 11:17 PM   #1
Retired from the grind

Share |

Kids and their money

I have a fifteen year old, that decided since he just got his permit, and figured that he drove about four hours yesterday, while at his mom's for the weekend, that he needed to go out and get a $100 pair of Oakley Sunglasses. He figures that it is a luxury, and he had the money, so why not.

I never knew that sunglasses could make you a better driver. Only thing that he can not figure out, is why dad is trying to tell him that he does not need them, since A) They will get "borrowed' (ie stolen) at school, B) He will break them, or C) He will lose them.

Personally, I do not see how a $100 pair of sunglasses makes you a better driver, let alone just when you are starting out to learn how to drive. Even better yet, his step-mom & I get the pleasure of teaching him how to unlearn all of the bad habits that he will pick up being around the other drivers at his mom's, when he is over there.

gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 11:35 PM   #2
Busy DIYer

Kids and their money

When you were 15, could you drive and had cool sun glasses?

picflight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 11:43 PM   #3
Retired from the grind

Kids and their money

When I was 15, I had glasses that I have to wear full time, but I would not say that they were cool looking at that age.
Old 09-11-2011, 11:46 PM   #4
Busy DIYer

Kids and their money

When I was 15 I cared more about my hair then other things. At 15 I knew I was an excellent driver, every 15 yo knows that. :-)
The Following User Says Thank You to picflight For This Useful Post:
gregzoll (09-11-2011)
Old 09-11-2011, 11:51 PM   #5
Retired from the grind

Kids and their money

Yeah, until they sneak out of the house, and wreck the car, but you do not find out until the next day. Happened to me when I was 18, but I did not sneak out, I was on my way home after a date with a girlfriend, and dad had National Guard duty the next day. Only thing he noticed, was that I left the tank a little above empty.
Old 09-12-2011, 05:46 AM   #6

Kids and their money

15!! I can hardly believe they let you on the rd at 15 down there. Up here at 16 you can get your G1 (learners permit) which comes with a lot of restrictions like, no night driving, no hwy driving (unless there is another licensed driver with you). After a year you can write for your g2.

My kid just turned 16. I feel sick suddenly
creeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 06:49 AM   #7
Mold!! Let's kill it!

Kids and their money

When I turned 16 and could drive, I had to buy my own insurance, gas and my own car. I didn't have $100.00 for sunglasses. I had to work part-time after school to support my driving habit. Kids today seem to have way too much disposable income. My parents provided food, shelter, clothing and chores. For anything else, I was on my own.
Maintenance 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Maintenance 6 For This Useful Post:
blackestate (09-16-2011), josall (09-12-2011)
Old 09-12-2011, 07:12 AM   #8

Kids and their money

Make sure not to lend him money when something else comes along that he really wants, and hope that his mom doesn't either. He might eventually learn to be more choosey with what he spends his money on if he realizes it is a limited resource (assuming of course, neither you nor he are filthy rich?).
NancyNGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 08:46 AM   #9

Kids and their money

I find it crazy that in America you can drive at 15 but can't drink til you're 21.... seems to confuse the boundries of when you actually become an 'adult'.

At least, I suppose, it might reduce the number of people drink-driving. But then again I heard there's quite a relaxed attitude to drink-driving in America; is that true??
amyevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 09:20 AM   #10
Mod

Kids and their money

Quote:
Originally Posted by amyevans View Post
I heard there's quite a relaxed attitude to drink-driving in America; is that true??
I don’t know what you conceder relaxed and it varies by state but here’s the deal in Oregon. Scroll about half way down the page for the typical penalties.

http://www.oregonduii.com/

Last edited by kwikfishron; 09-12-2011 at 09:22 AM.
kwikfishron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 09:38 AM   #11
Busy DIYer

Kids and their money

Quote:
Originally Posted by amyevans
I find it crazy that in America you can drive at 15 but can't drink til you're 21.... seems to confuse the boundries of when you actually become an 'adult'.

At least, I suppose, it might reduce the number of people drink-driving. But then again I heard there's quite a relaxed attitude to drink-driving in America; is that true??
Not at all relaxed in California, very stiff fines and jail for repeat offenders.
Old 09-12-2011, 10:18 AM   #12
Retired from the grind

Kids and their money

They say that it is due to there are too many kids in the Sophomore year of high school nowdays, along with those like my son who are born in September before the cut off, that can be allowed that privilege. I was 16 when I started drivers ed, due to how my school had divided us up in groups. Of course, you are talking a school with graduating classes of about 80 to 90 kids, depending on the year.
Old 09-12-2011, 10:19 AM   #13
Retired from the grind

Kids and their money

Maintenance, we do not give him any money. Any money he gets, is earned by helping the neighbors around us, with lawn care, etc.
Old 09-12-2011, 11:43 AM   #14
DIY Hack

Kids and their money

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post
Any money he gets, is earned by helping the neighbors around us, with lawn care, etc.
Then i say that you voice your objections, but end the speech with " but it's your money".

Many lessons in life are best learned through experience, so if he earned the money, and the glasses get lost, broken, stolen, etc... it's a pretty cheap lesson in the grand scheme of things.

As long as what he's buying isn't illegal, immoral, dangerous, or will deplete his savings, 15 is old enough to make these kind of choices and (hopefully) learn from them. Who knows, maybe he will suprise you, especailly since you said he recognizes that this is a luxury type item.
Old 09-12-2011, 12:25 PM   #15
uva uvam videndo variafit

Kids and their money

There are a lot of things that kids have now that I didn't have growing up and sunglasses are near the bottom of the list.

play stations
cel phones
internet ****
facebook
metal detectors in schools
lack of respect
etc, etc

WirelessG is offline   Reply With Quote