Kids And Life Lessons - Off Topic - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > The Break Room > Off Topic

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-23-2013, 08:00 PM   #1
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,452

Kids and life lessons

Yesterday I helped my son replace a fog lamp assembly on his Pontiac G6, due to one of the assemblies had broken apart, so that it was not mounted in the front lower bumper assembly.

I had to unhook the power wire from the headlamp assemblies, and place them up out of the way, so that we could reach down and work on putting in the new fog lamp assemblies.

After I got done putting the replacement back in, let my son put back in the head lamps.

He came home stating that he had to drive home with the fog lamps on, due to no headlights. I asked if he hooked up the wiring harness back on the headlights, when he put them back in (I as a good father, just sat back while he put things together, and did not say a word, thinking that he would catch that the headlights needed to be reconnected to the power harness).

So when he got home and stated that his headlights did not work, I asked if he made sure that the wiring harnesses were connected, before he bolted them back down. He said that it was weird how we had them so far up out of the way, and just figured that they had super long harnesses to them.

So now the running joke in the house, is those new fangled wireless headlights, in his 2005 Pontiac G6, which he has had about two weeks now.

Advertisement

Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 01:08 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,054

Kids and life lessons

Nothing beats a "learning" experience!

Advertisement

rossfingal is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rossfingal For This Useful Post:
gma2rjc (09-25-2013)
Old 09-24-2013, 11:25 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 622

Kids and life lessons

Last weekend, there was a kid around here who died in an accident involving gasoline and fire. I remember my dad and I used to get my sister and brother in law bothered when we would talk about teaching his grandchild and my nephew about gasoline and fire.

Fact is, it might not be a bad idea to take a small amount of gasoline and spread it on something and throw a match at it in order to show children what can happen.

Maybe not a bad idea to let them touch a live outlet to learn about electrical shock.

When I was growing up, there was always some exhibtion showing a car that was smashed because they stalled out on a railroad track, or a shotgun which had blown up because it was fired with a plugged barrel. These things aren't as common now, and kids don't know that electricity can knock you down or hurt you, you can die in a fire, guns can kill, etc.
cleveman is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cleveman For This Useful Post:
gma2rjc (09-25-2013)
Old 09-25-2013, 08:29 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 524

Kids and life lessons

I still laugh about the kid that rode his bike into a wet concrete sidewalk years ago. We had baracades up and even a sign to warn people. Kid rode right around the baracade, came onto the sidewalk from the side and made it at least 10' before he came to a stop about 3' from where we were still screeding the pour from the truck. Kid got all mad, left the bike right there, stomped off down the street and brought his dad back. The dad ( to be forever after known as the jerk) started to tell us, scream at us, that we should have warned his kid. Mind you, we already pulled the bike out and cleaned it off for him. Well the jerk called the cops on us. 30 years later, when ever I see the officer, we still laugh about it. The jerk wanted us arrested for endangering the life of his kid. We should have had him arrested for being an idiot and raising a clueless son.
danpik is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to danpik For This Useful Post:
gma2rjc (09-25-2013), rossfingal (09-26-2013)
Old 09-25-2013, 11:54 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,342

Kids and life lessons

The lesson the kid learned that day was that when he does something stupid, find someone else to blame it on.

Andy would have made Opie help the guys smooth out the cement and thank the men for cleaning his bike.

gma2rjc is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gma2rjc For This Useful Post:
rossfingal (09-26-2013)