Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Community > Off Topic

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-08-2012, 01:00 PM   #1

Share |

Jobs given to Chinese Firms...???

Hey guys check this out I found this on other forum pretty interesting.. Let me know what you think...

*** link not allowed, as per rules ***

chicagoremodeli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 01:40 PM   #2
the Musigician

Feel free to discuss this here, but please do not direct our members offsite.

Thank you.

DM

chicagoremodeli (04-08-2012)
Old 04-08-2012, 02:23 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerMouse View Post
Feel free to discuss this here, but please do not direct our members offsite.

Thank you.

DM
Upsss sorry about that!! But Anyways since our economy is slow. How do you guys feel about Chinese firms working in US and taking our jobs???
chicagoremodeli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 03:32 AM   #4
paper hanger and painter

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagoremodeli View Post
Upsss sorry about that!! But Anyways since our economy is slow. How do you guys feel about Chinese firms working in US and taking our jobs???

You should be asking the politicians that , not us.
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 02:20 PM   #5
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagoremodeli View Post
Every time you buy cheap Chinese stuff in a box store you take away from US wage earners. You cannot have it both ways! Support local stores and US made goods when you can. Pay the extra $1.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to user1007 For This Useful Post:
dougp23 (04-21-2012), kwikfishron (04-17-2012), Ravenworks (04-17-2012)
Old 04-17-2012, 03:43 PM   #6
Jack of all - master none

Want to hear my current outsourcing catch-22? I have some IT work that needs to be done. Lowest bid U.S. firm is $6,700. I have 2 bids from offshore companies for about $3,500. Seeing as city tax dollars pay for this, I can save $3,000 of tax payer money, or keep money in the U.S.?
hyunelan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 05:06 PM   #7

Keep that money here! i don't mind paying taxes that go to people who live here. Don't want my money going tp the commies when I can stop it.
packer_rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 05:51 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by packer_rich View Post
Keep that money here! i don't mind paying taxes that go to people who live here. Don't want my money going tp the commies when I can stop it.
What he said !
Ravenworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 05:55 PM   #9

Oh if only it were really that simple...
Evstarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 06:21 PM   #10
DIY Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evstarr
Oh if only it were really that simple...
What's that phrase;
"Easier said then done!"
Look around you where ever you are right now,
Probably 70% or more of what your looking at has been produced/manufactured overseas.
It's just very difficult to compete with the cost to produce something overseas compared to here in the states,For many reasons.
sublime2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 06:34 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyunelan2 View Post
Want to hear my current outsourcing catch-22? I have some IT work that needs to be done. Lowest bid U.S. firm is $6,700. I have 2 bids from offshore companies for about $3,500. Seeing as city tax dollars pay for this, I can save $3,000 of tax payer money, or keep money in the U.S.?
Ones first instinct is to keep the funds in the USA. But, spend the extra money now and later around city official election time someone will show where under Mayor John Doe, he spent a extra $3K when it could have been saved ! Oh, Oh, internal investigation time for budget shannigans !
Jeeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 09:14 PM   #12
Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdsester View Post
Every time you buy cheap Chinese stuff in a box store you take away from US wage earners. You cannot have it both ways! Support local stores and US made goods when you can. Pay the extra $1.
Amen Brother.

It me off that I can't run my business using only American Tools.

Why???

Because they don't exist anymore.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to kwikfishron For This Useful Post:
ben's plumbing (04-18-2012), oh'mike (04-18-2012), packer_rich (04-17-2012)
Old 04-18-2012, 04:00 AM   #13

I share the frusration with all about trying to make a living with less than quality products made from overseas ie: China. But it is a long story how we got in this pickle and as a nation we need to look at ourselves in the mirror and recognize how this happened....

It is now a global economy and isolationism would be ideal for the USA, but it would not work. Always follow the money trail and there will be the answers. jmo
Old 04-18-2012, 06:57 AM   #14
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Certainly not preaching isolationism. There is no way we can compete with a workforce that has no child labor laws or restraints on poor working conditions. But don't American flag wave in one hand with HD, Blowe's or WalMart shopping bags in the other.

I got into a heated argument with a friend over socks. He suggested he had to buy socks at WalMart because they had the best prices. Well of course they do. Chinese four year olds made them and they don't even have to pay full property taxes (yours go up though so stick that $1 saved away somewhere) in most cities in which they operate.

But you know, there is a US manufacturer that makes great socks for just a bit more and if you have the cajones, you can mail a pair you wear a hole in back and they will send you a new pair. No questions asked. They will never be sold in WalMart.

We've become spoiled by the convenience even more than the price. We increasingly tolerate poor or marginal quality in favor of price point and cannot blame that on the Chinese people. I fear we want to buy cheap paint, substandard lag bolts, South American farm raised Norwegian salmon, sewer pipe and dinner rolls in the same place. News of a box store coming to town gets people worked into a frenzy like traveling carnivals and amusement park rides used to in rural days. The local hardware store that used to buy jerseys for the little league team and the pharmacy that used to deliver go away instantly but it must be worth it. In a way, we deserve what we get. Businesses that give absolutely nothing we spend in them back to the community!

Here are lists if you want to give US made a try. Yes, it takes some effort. It is worth it.

http://www.americansworking.com/

http://www.stillmadeinusa.com/tools.html

Last edited by user1007; 04-18-2012 at 07:05 AM.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to user1007 For This Useful Post:
dougp23 (04-21-2012), jbfan (04-18-2012), jomama45 (04-18-2012), kwikfishron (04-18-2012), packer_rich (04-18-2012), rossfingal (04-18-2012)
Old 04-18-2012, 08:57 PM   #15

Corporations answer to their shareholders. Shareholders demand higher yield on their shares. Lets say a USA tool manufacturer makes tool AA while paying USA employee market wages and benefits, taxes, federal regs, epa costs. Total costs to make the tool AA = $100.00. Sells it for $150.00...

Same corporation keeps getting beat on the head for its slumping stock/profitability. So it gives its tool design, manufacturing technology, engineers,tooling dies to a China tool making factory so they will build tool AA for them...

Now tool AA is made in China and imported back in the USA with low tariffs on it for a total cost to the corporation of $45.00. Corporation now will still sell tool AA for $150.00 with the same name on it, as it still "looks" the same on the outside as it did when made in the USA. Profit margin better now ?

Globalization of our economy had to happen sooner or later. Even if my guesstimated "sample" above of what has happened to our manufacturing industry in the USA was reversed today and the industries brought back, does anyone think the Chinese would just stop building all of the things we gave them with our technology to build ?....

They would just brand the tools or whatever with a different name and we would still buy the cheaper Chinese tool. Why? Because our standard of living has been decreasing for years now and all of us cannot afford to pay higher prices for our things. Our workers cannot compete with China labor wages. ....

We didnt get to be the great nation we are by working for low wages and allowing gross human rights violations. But that is slowly changing as our nations wealth is slowly being redistributed. Stop being distracted by all the "stuff" in the news that doesnt matter, and watch for the creeping "gradualism" coming from our leaders that is changing the face of our nation, forever. jmo