Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > The Break Room > Off Topic

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-31-2011, 01:19 PM   #1
Coconut Pete's paella!

Rewards Points: 500

It's been 48 hrs ............

Since the storm.

I just saw my FIRST cop! He was just there alone, directing traffic because a downed tree was blocking 1/2 the road. It really helped with traffic for about 500 feet until the next downed tree.

I wonder what these guys have been doing? There is a power line down roughly every 75 feet in my neighborhood, along with probably around 800 trees. The poor guys in the firehouse down the street from me were at it all night, but no cops to be seen.

The notoriously unreliable USPS is out in FULL FORCE today though, Every house without power is getting mail!

CoconutPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 01:44 PM   #2
A Little Of Everything

Rewards Points: 1,076

It's sunny & 60 here in Omaha. Just thought you should know that.

DrHicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 02:13 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,000

Ya where we are in the great white north its sunny and 45.....not a snowflake since last winter...just sayin
creeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 02:36 PM   #4
Coconut Pete's paella!

It was fun until the power cut out.

Actually it was fun until the internet cut out, but the power cut out 5 minutes later.
Old 10-31-2011, 02:42 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 1,086

Under those conditions, I don't think that I would worry much about the absence of police officers, unless of course they have been issued snowblowers.
DexterII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 02:43 PM   #6

You have a better attitude than I. There is NO fun in cold wet miserable snow.

Actually, maybe this year I will try and embrace this whole winter thing and install a backyard rink. Everybody is forwarning me though of a hellav a lot of work
Old 10-31-2011, 03:34 PM   #7
A Little Of Everything

I lived in Minnesota for nearly 20 years. I really don't mind snow, or even extreme cold. The key is to be prepared.

The one thing I didn't like about Minnesota winters is that the days were so short, and the winters were so danged long.
Old 10-31-2011, 05:15 PM   #8

Sooo very, very long
Old 11-01-2011, 09:10 AM   #9
Coconut Pete's paella!

I tried to be prepared. We filled all the cars w/ gas, got groceries etc. well ahead of time. Not sure if you guys have seen any of the footage on the news, but the footage from the gas stations look like the fuel crisis from the 70's.

We stayed for as long as we could, but our fireplace is small and only keeps things so warm. Luckily there was plenty of snow to keep stuff cold when the fridge started warming up.

My wife's car has an inverter in it, I was actually wondering if it puts out enough juice to run the fan on the furnace, but we chose to abandon ship instead. My sister in law thank god has power and only lives about 20 minutes away.

It's quite a joy to be at work actually, they have what goes a little beyond a generator, I would call it a small "power plant". Gym / showers / cafeteria / coffee shop and they even put up 100 chairs in the big area where conferences are held and had everyone bring their kids and set up a daycare w/ movies and games. Pretty awesome. They put up 4-way portable stop signs at one medium-sized intersection but left all the major ones wide open - makes sense right?

Just thought it would have been cool if the cops helped w/ traffic etc. especially since none of the traffic lights work but I guess its more important for them to stay warm inside the station with its own power supply.

Last edited by CoconutPete; 11-01-2011 at 09:13 AM.
Old 11-01-2011, 09:17 AM   #10
A Little Of Everything

^ I've been watching some of the news reports. Horrible stuff. It's amazing how snow can destroy trees when the leaves are still on!

Glad to hear that you're okay!
Old 11-01-2011, 10:24 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 2,212

Does this make you want to get a generator and stock up a month's worth of food and water?

How nice of your company to do that for the kids!

gma2rjc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 08:50 AM   #12
Coconut Pete's paella!

Thought about the generator thing, but this storm appears to be such a freak occurrence. I've talked to several neighbors who have lived here for 40 yers and they all said they've never lost power for more than a day or two before.

Day 5:
Storm hit Saturday, today is Wednesday.
Again, thank god for my sister in law and brother in law for providing us a warm place to sleep, thank god for good buddies who called to check on us and even offered to come "hotwire" the fan in our furnace with their generator in case I just wanted to pump heat through my house, and thank god for great employers.
Even more kids here today, really hilarious. I just went to the caf to get a coffee and there were more kids than adults in there. There's "kid art" all over the building, I'm sure it will stay there for weeks as reminders. They even have a "kids menu" now. Mind you this is a major insurance company (1800 people in this building).

Tree crews spotted in my neighborhood yesterday when we went to empty the fridge and freezer. There's hope yet! My parents have a small studio condo 1/4 mile down the street from me, but it is SMACK in the town center so I'm hoping that will come back soon so we can use that as a base. Thank god my wife is pregnant and we don't have the baby yet - that would have added a whole additional level of complexity to this. My little Yorkshire terrier is handling the confusion pretty well also.

Think I'll go do some actual work now haha.
Old 11-02-2011, 09:38 AM   #13

Rewards Points: 250

For record, I have a 1600 W invertor. It ran my furnace, no problem. Hope you get back to normal soon.
JackDidley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 09:08 AM   #14
Coconut Pete's paella!

Day 6: Still no power.

The amount of kids at work seems to have dropped though which means places / people are getting it back so that's a good sign.

2 traffic lights spotted working in my town that had been out so that's also a good thing.

I read that a "major effort to clear trees" has started in my town also....... not really sure why they waited till day 6 with that. The poco webpage said the trees were the priority before the lines.
Old 11-03-2011, 05:48 PM   #15

Rewards Points: 25

glad you survived the storm coconut pete!

hwymorris is offline   Reply With Quote