Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Community > Off Topic

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-19-2009, 11:14 AM   #1

Share |

"Irrational Exhuberance"

With the promise of "Yes we can!" and "Change we can believe in." in his election campaign, Barak Obama gets swept into power as the new President of the United States. Does anyone even know what these slogans even mean?

Well, to most people, it means that Barak Obama will do things that previous administrations either couldn't or wouldn't do. Apart from some decisions that are at the discretion of the government (like stem cell research, foreign policy (like the wars in Afghanistan and Iraq) and economic policy (like the current bail out plans), the bottom lines is that Barak Obama can no more control events and the course of history than any other President could.

Once people realize that Obama will not be able to solve the REAL problems facing the USA, such as it's continued dependance on increasingly expensive foreign oil, it's growing trade deficit with industrialized countries with cheaper labour costs (like China and India), and the looming economic recession (that promises to be a "doozie"), then he's going to drop in people's esteem. Not because he couldn't do a good job as President, but because he didn't live up to the unrealistic expectation of the wonderful times ahead with Barak at the helm.

Let's not put this guy on a pedestal with unrealistic expectations of what he'll do for America and the World. He's not going to be able to give Palestinians their land back without taking it away from Israelis, he's not going to curb Iran's desire to build a nuclear weapon, he's not going to convince Kim Jung Il to NOT blackmail the US by threatening to build and sell nuclear weapons, he's not going to stop Al Quida from trying to attack America for it's supporting Israel and he's definitely not going to be able to wean America off foreign oil and onto clean energy if no other President was able to make any progress in these areas.

Sure, first black man in the White House. That's an important distinction. But, to hail the guy with such fanfare as though he walks on water is only going to set him up to fail at meeting unrealistically high expectations, and set the American people up for disappointment. "You mean he wasn't the Messiah?"

Let's keep it real and give the guy a reasonable chance of meeting reasonable expectations.

PS:
Does anyone know if there's any truth to the rumour that the Department of Homeland Security is quietly investigating to determine if the birds that brought down American Airways Flight 1549 were Canada geese? It was an accident, not a terrorist attack by radical geese. This has GOT to be a joke by someone at Fox News.

Last edited by Nestor_Kelebay; 01-19-2009 at 04:11 PM.
Nestor_Kelebay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 11:28 AM   #2

"Irrational Exhuberance"

Whoops...thought I was on CT for a second.

Floorwizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 03:19 PM   #3

"Irrational Exhuberance"

Good post, Nestor. They have given him an image time is bound to see through.

If you heard the story about the Canada Geese from the mainstream media here is the U.S., ignore it. They no longer have any credibility.
gma2rjc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 11:59 AM   #4

"Irrational Exhuberance"

Well, here we are in a new year with a new President.

Out with the old, in with the new.

Me thinks that George W. Bush is going to go down in history as one of the worst US Presidents. You don't send your country's youth to go fight and die in a war unless you have no option. You don't "pick and choose" your intelligence to create a case for going to war. You don't hoodwink the American people that there is an imminent threat to the country because they know you are privy to secret intelligence that they aren't. And, you don't flounder around when one of the biggest cities in the country is being flooded up to it's rooftops.

This new President certainly has enough problems to deal with, but at least George W. won't be a hard act to follow.

I, for one, believe that if Colin Powell ran for President, he'd have been the first black US President.

And, of course, I hope that things are better 4 years from now than they are now.

The current leader of my country, Prime Minister Stephen Harper has already phoned Barak Obama congratulating him on his win and pledging continued co-operation between Canada and the USA on international matters that affect us both. And, Barak is reciprocating by making Canada his first visit as the new President. Canada is the US's largest trading partner and the US imports more oil from Canada than it does from Saudi Arabia.

Good relations between our leaders wasn't always the case. A previous Prime Minister of ours, Jean Cretien had no use at all for George W. Bush, and one of his aides was overheard to call George W. a "moron". I thought it was priceless when one of George W. Bush's aides was subsequently overheard to be calling Jean Chretien a "dinosaur". Our news media didn't know what to think of that, presuming it might be because Jean was over 70 years old at the time. The fact that dinosaurs had astonishingly small brains given that they had so much room in their big heads slipped completely by Jean and our Canadian news media. I thought that was great.

Anyhow, anyone elected President of the United States ends up being, like it or not, a world leader too, so people all over the world watched the inaugeration today since US foreign policy often affects them directly.

Let's hope that Barak Obama make a good President.

Last edited by Nestor_Kelebay; 01-20-2009 at 12:56 PM.
Nestor_Kelebay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 03:49 PM   #5
Master General ReEngineer

"Irrational Exhuberance"

Quote:
the bottom lines is that Barak Obama/ George W. Bush can no more control events and the course of history than any other President could.
Ayuh,...

And the Liberals just can't give up on the Bush Bashing either......

I Hope the Best for Our new President,.....

I do see trouble ahead, when he steps in at such a High popularity as he is though,...

The only direction he can go is Down....

Last edited by Bondo; 01-20-2009 at 03:51 PM.
Bondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 08:45 PM   #6

"Irrational Exhuberance"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nestor_Kelebay View Post
But, to hail the guy with such fanfare as though he walks on water is only going to set him up to fail at meeting unrealistically high expectations, and set the American people up for disappointment. "You mean he wasn't the Messiah?"
What is disappointing is that so many people in America got suckered in by him.

The first major thing he does is try to ram through a "stimulus" bill that is absolutely crammed full of unnecessary spending. He was using a bill that is supposed to help our economic crisis to try to expand the size of government . Would you expect anything less from a liberal? Thankfully there are some people in congress that are trying to clean it up a little, although a lot of the pork (paid for with our money ) will probably still get through.

Last edited by freedhardwoods; 02-03-2009 at 08:51 PM.
freedhardwoods is offline   Reply With Quote