Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > The Break Room > Off Topic

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-22-2012, 10:15 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 2,000

IPAD type device

I'm thnking about getting an "I Pad" like type of device. Who has one and what do you reccommend?

Old 08-23-2012, 12:20 AM   #2
Electrical Contractor

Rewards Points: 2,232

IPAD type device

To be used for business or pleassure?

I have a nook, but it is just for fun, reading surfing the web, easy place to hold pics.

I could do some business with it, but I'm sure not everything I think I would need to do.

Old 08-23-2012, 12:26 AM   #3
World's Tallest Midget

Rewards Points: 518

IPAD type device

The Kindle Fire has gotten pretty good reviews, and its a lot cheaper than the iPad. Or, you could just get an iPad.
Mort is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 07:21 AM   #4
bbo

Rewards Points: 500

IPAD type device

I think it all depends on budget. There are certain price points that are pretty defined.

also what will you be using it for?
bbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 08:35 AM   #5

IPAD type device

My wife has her own service business and has a need to check emails throughout the day. We've got a couple of laptops but I thought somehthing a bit easier to carry would be a plus for her. A calender, client database, online access....pretty much what a computer would do. I'm just "technologically handicapped" and don't know which direction to look.
Old 08-23-2012, 11:39 AM   #6
Newbie Bill

IPAD type device

We got an Ipad 6 months ago and just love it. It does Emails, contact list, web surfing, photos, music, apps for work/play. We've loaded tons of music and movies on it and my daugther prefers to watch movies on that than the in car DVD player.

Besides the price, the only issue with an ipad is that it can't handle FlashPlayer. So some videos and website graphics don't work.

Oh, the other issue with the ipad is we only have one.

A DIY Noob that knows just enough to be dangerous.
drtbk4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 12:00 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 150

IPAD type device

The way I see it iPads are to Tablets as the Kindle (the regular eInk type) is to eBook Readers.
They both are the archetype of the class of technology they represent. The eInk Kindle is just simply the best eBook reader out there, everything else seeks to imitate it. Same thing with the iPad. The only difference is that unlike the Kindle, the iPad is the most expensive in its market as well.

I have the iPad 2, my dad has the Kindle Fire. I like my iPad more. But budget is budget so if you're on one then the Fire is a good alternative as is the Galaxy Nexus Tablet too.
knotquiteawake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 12:15 PM   #8
bbo

IPAD type device

kindle fire does not have 3g access, only wifi.
sounds like ipad might be best for her if budget not a worry.

*note i have a kindle, but not an ipad.
bbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 01:34 PM   #9

IPAD type device

I have IPad, Nook Color, and Nook reader. I have only played around with a Kindle, but these appear nice to me, as well. First ask yourself about your preference for size/portability. Also ask yourself whether you are satisfied with being limited to wifi or whether you desire built-in cellular data capability. Answers to these questions will drive your choice.

If you think you will be satisfied with 7" tablet and wifi only, a nook or kindle are completely adequate web surfing, calendar, and Email. Given the price, the choice would be easy. If you need a device with cellular built in, your options become more limited.

Access to a client database would depend on which software is used to manage the database. One would have to determine if there was an "app" that could read the database.

None completely duplicate the capabilities of a computer, in my mind. Android devices get closer because of the open file structure and flash capability (though I understand newest versions of android may not even have that).
oberkc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 01:38 PM   #10
Coconut Pete's paella!

IPAD type device

Is WiFI connectivity enough or do you need one that supports a data plan?

Is 7" too small?
CoconutPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 06:27 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 254

IPAD type device

I won an iPad thru work last spring...it gets used by EVERYONE. My 6 yr old girls, my 9 yr old son, my fiancÚ, me, etc. My mom loved it so much she bought her own.

The lack of flash capability sucks at times, but most sites are working on supporting whatever apple uses. It's gotten a lot better in the last year alone. I'm partial to it because I use an iPhone. All the controls, buttons, etc are identical.

I've played with the Kindle Fire as well, and I do like it...if the kids break the iPad (surprised it hasn't happened yet) I'll likely replace it with a Fire based on price alone. My iPad doesn't have 3G, so no data plan, we just use wifi at home or hotspots around town... I never realized how many open networks there are.

One thing that's nice is Netflix on the iPad. Good size screen for watching, plus the 2nd and 3rd generations can output to HDTV's. I regularly use the email utility on it which works pretty well.

Sounds like an ad for apple, I know, but prior to my iPhone and the iPad I didn't care for Apple's computers that much. The portable stuff, though, I think they hit a home run. It's just easy as pie to figure out and use.
Marqed97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 07:40 PM   #12

IPAD type device

I'm doing research other than this forum as you would expect and unless someone has a serious reason NOT to go with the Kindle Fire I expect that to be my purchase....just don't know what to do with the current Kindle reader....
Old 08-26-2012, 02:29 PM   #13
Too Short? Cut it Again!

IPAD type device

Consumer Electronics show is coming up again soon which will display all the new toys and perhaps render some of the current ones to look a bit lackluster. There may soon be some great deals to be had if you can wait.

I am looking at an off brand Android device at a great price point and sweating extra memory, storage and so forth. All the chipsets and screen technology are name brand---just the logo on the front is something else. Oodles of nice ports including HDMI and 3g USB and wifi of course. Two cameras (one nice and one just good enough for Skype) $130 for the larger screen version of the machine.

My dilemma is many people around me with tablets are finding the larger screens to be an awkward size and seem to prefer something like 7-8".

I have bought as many Apple products as anybody for staff that insisted but I really do not like the company and the way it steals intellectual property among other things. And I remember being held hostage to Apple parts when things went wrong. I personally will not buy an Apple product so if anybody has Android only recs I would appreciate them.

The reader crossover products are clamping down on surfing the net so I do not know how I feel about them.

user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote