Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Community > Off Topic

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-13-2010, 01:25 PM   #1

Share |

insurance claims

My roof has barely endured a bad winter here in the south shingles are missing on different sides of my home(luckly no bad leaks, a few spots showing in diffeent rooms) leaks).A fellow knocked on my door yesterday wanting the roofing job ,he had all his BBB, papers, letters of reccomendation and wanted to come back out and give me an estimate.I IN my 35 yrs of plumbing service and repair, have never knocked on a door to get work,I have talked to neighbors who saw my truck and asked for a card but never cold called .My wife says times are bad now(like I didnt know) and folks are doing anything to get work.My question is should I ask friends and check around ,get 3 estimates like most folks do for jobs over 2 grand? or let some clean cut new truck stranger .BTW he wanted to give me the estimate and let him work with my insurance co, if they refused the claim (allstate) the estimate is free .My last roof was approx 17 yrs ago from a co I saw at a home and garden show and they are long gone ,I was happy with their work and service, I m not really an l cheepo, it was a name that popped into my head, I know to get the best you gotta pay, but nothing wrong with shopping since I dont know any roofers anymore, the ones I knew are all dead

Last edited by el cheepo; 03-13-2010 at 02:04 PM.
el cheepo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 02:06 PM   #2

insurance claims

Careful.

This guy very well may be a "storm chaser" ... there are a lot of less-than-reputable companies that will come into town after a major weather event, go door to door offering to get you a "free roof", pay your deductible, etc.

The sad reality is that because these type of operations will be moving on to the next damaged town in a year or two they have no interest in performing quality work, and you will unlikely be able to track them down to honor any warranty claim.

Sometimes they have even been known to buy out an established local roofing company so they can appear established. Door-to-door could be an alert, but the guy may possibly be legit, and just looking for work as you say.

I WOULD NOT sign any agreement to have him represent you to your insurance company unless you are confident you want to use his services. Such agreements often contain gotcha clauses that obligate you to pay large fees if you decide to use another roofer.

With that being said, if, after getting bids you feel this guy is legit it can help you to have a roofer on your side when you go to your insurance. But also make sure you get a written bid from him, and don't agree to just let him work for whatever your insurance settlement is.

It sounds like you have a legit claim, the water damage and repainting (with possible retexturing) of your ceiling may be covered as well, or your insurance may determine you were negligent in repairing the roofing issue and not pay for the incidental damages.

Do your homework, and get someone good.

Let me know if you are in the Atlanta area... I really like the contractor I've chosen to do my work, and I got bids from seven different roofers.

echase is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to echase For This Useful Post:
el cheepo (03-13-2010)
Old 03-13-2010, 02:34 PM   #3
Learning by Doing

insurance claims

echase makes many great points. I would add that good roofing companies usually don't need to go door to door.

:Echo: don't sign anything without reading it. Don't hire a contractor without seeing their license/certs/proof of insurance/etc.

Good luck. We're also in the market for a new roof, and a know what a PITA it is.
el cheepo (03-13-2010)
Old 03-13-2010, 02:46 PM   #4

insurance claims

(my second roof)I checked them out on the internet at www.al-roofing.com it looks like they started in georgia and have expanded to alabama and Tennessee, but like you I am wary of door knockers who say they can handle the insurance claim and such. I have had my insurance for many yrs and never filed a home owners claim I would hate to get it cancelled over a roof. however we have had several bad hailstorms this past yr and I see alot of roofs going on around me , I am going to ask some of my customers for referrals and and be very careful this time (new thoughts) Thanks Echase this company looks legit on net and it looks like they are from your neck of the woods you might know something about them? any comments appreciated ,thank you eddie (new thought) Leah be careful I am ALOT wiser now than approx 20 yrs ago(my 2nd roof), my first roof when I was in my late 20s ,We were selling our home and I bought the middle grade shingles and carried them up the ladder for a retired roofer, dont ask why I have a bad back now, lol but for 300.00 cash for labor only, I got an awsome roof, he did it up to code (we had it inspected) and it was nice job (I came out better on my first one than my second, my neighbor then was a fireman and led me thru it).Now that I have past the big 60 ,no more toting bales of roofing for me in this contract it said if insurance refuses to pay, the contrac is null and void, I made a copy and changed that part to say I WOULD PAY THE 500 DEDUCT AND NO MORE THAN 750 IN EXTRAS WHO KNOWS?? He said it would be inspected ,our little new city just outside birmingham had a tought inspector and just to work here is costly, as far as licence and bonds and insurance I bet if this co knew what I knew about all the BS it takes to work here they would leave running or maybe they are a growing co and do it right and have very few problems who knows??

Last edited by el cheepo; 03-13-2010 at 03:21 PM.
Old 03-13-2010, 04:34 PM   #5

insurance claims

I STRONGLY recommend speaking with established local companies before contracting with these guys.

I hope my gut is wrong.
Old 03-13-2010, 05:15 PM   #6
Learning by Doing

insurance claims

Wow - sounds too good to be true....so it must be good right?
Old 03-14-2010, 11:16 AM   #7
Electrical Contractor

insurance claims

I have had several stop by my house and talk about the recent hail damage.
I do not like door to door sales, so I called someone local.
He came and looked at my roof and said there was no hail damage to be covered by insurance, but I needed a roof soon.

Check with neighbers beofre using a door to door sales man, who only gets paid if you buy a new roof.
Old 03-14-2010, 12:23 PM   #8
nap
You talking to me?

insurance claims

I suggest to stay with a local roofer. If you have to sue them, it is much easier to find them when they have a door you can knock on.

who ever does the job:

make sure they have any required state or local licensing (check it out)

be sure they are insured (workers that get hurt on your property can be a problem). I don't know if workmans comp is required in your state but make sure they have it if it is.

make sure they are bonded in case they don't finish the job or refuse to provide proper quality work. Be sure to get copies of their bonding commitment. I would also call the bonding agency to confirm.
nap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 03:21 PM   #9
General Contractor

insurance claims

You claim to be a contractor yet you don't know how to go about selecting a contractor? It's not that hard but here you go:

*Call at least three (3) contractors and get apple to apple bids.
*Get their state license number and actually check with the licensing authority to verify that it is valid.
*Request references and call the references.
*Verify how long they have been in business and servicing your area.
*Verify that they have the proper insurance for the work they are engaging in and request a certificate of insurance be supplied to you at the contract signing.
*Make sure the contractor has a real physical address and that their contact information is valid.
*Avoid any contractor requesting more than 50% of the total contract value up front (I typically require 10-30% depending on the size of the job but to each their own, however it is not unusual to have to pay 100% up front for special order items that can not be returned).
*Your state licensing authority and the BBB will also have advice for you if you bother to check their websites.

Good luck and hope that helps.
ARI001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 03:32 PM   #10

insurance claims

Sorry I am former owner of plumbing repair business.Neve claimed to be a contractor ,we were licenced bonded but kept away from big jobs my work consisted of inside home REPAIRS and drain cleaning btw I made more money in drain cleaning than any part of my business.But I was not a roofer and never heard any horror stories about any in my area.But I m doing wat I told my customers who needed work I didnt do ,get 3 estimates ,check licence, certifications, and bonds not necessaraly going with the cheepest ,im going with one that my guts says .go for it in no hurry the door knocker just got my attention .He had all the right stuff.
Old 03-16-2010, 04:00 PM   #11

insurance claims

It's your home, money and choice.

Please post your story here as it unfolds so that others may learn from your experience.
Old 03-16-2010, 08:34 PM   #12

insurance claims

Call Allstate... Tell them" I suspect I may have hail damage...some of my neighbors did... the roof was not leaking as far as I know before the hail storms...can they come out and check?" Tell them about the interior damage also.

They may even say "can we send one of our Restoration Network Contractors to check?" They will be looking for X number of hail hits per square. Contractor and insurance co usually work with the same estimating program..( 4 big name programs in the industry).
Or they may send a Staff or Independent Adjuster.. Who ever puts the
estimate together they will probably use (MSB Integri -claim).

I have worked with Allstate on hundreds of restorations and have found them to be a good company that wants to pay what they owe. They don't want to pay more...who does.
(I am sure some can post what nightmares they had with insurance claims) By knowing the work, the jargon of the indusrty and the estimating programs in depth the right contractor can make the claim a sweet dream for the homeowner.

Check your declarations page...sent every year with policy info, updates and your costs. Note item: code enhancements or ordinance & law.
This will be a % of your policy limits on your coverage A. Dwelling
Some States require this at a minimum percent and carriers often offer a higher percentage for additional premium.

Your policy probably has wording like " we will pay for like quality and kind"
This O&L coverage pays for additional items now required by your local code. In FL current code requirements for roofing can add a lot of cost to
replacement.

Insurance carriers love folks that never file a claim, even when they have one. It means more money for top managements big bonus.
Big Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 09:20 AM   #13

insurance claims

What he said

You might want to say "Wind and hail damage" considering the missing shingles.
Old 03-22-2010, 07:57 PM   #14

insurance claims

So far so good ,Allstate came by Sat AND A rep from roofing co met her.They taked a language that was mostly foreign to me but I ended up with a check written out to me for 4,347.55. It was broken down to the exact number of nails(kidding) anyway new ceilings ,take down and reinstall ceiling fans,replace(inside) ceilings.Their contract I signed said they would do exactally what inspector said . So I have the check and the local inspector from my little town wants to see the material list and their license and permits BEFORE they start ,The allstate adjuster said not to pay a dime more than contract and deduct (500) and not to pay anything until yard is cleaned up and job is complete.Im betting they back out when the local inspector lets them know he will be on them from start to finish and I will end up with a local roofer.I caled our inspections dept this am they are NOT licensed to work in my little town lie #1 caught I dont care who does it as long as they do what allstate adjuster said to do.(The roofing Shingles are 3 tab fiberglass 25 yr we are plannig on moving in next 5 0r 6 yrs so these should be ok

Last edited by el cheepo; 03-22-2010 at 08:04 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to el cheepo For This Useful Post:
Big Bob (03-22-2010)
Old 03-22-2010, 08:02 PM   #15
Learning by Doing

insurance claims

Thanks for the follow up, el cheapo! Glad you are going into this with your eyes wide open and doing your due diligence.

Good luck.