Insurance Claim - Off Topic - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum


Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > The Break Room > Off Topic

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-09-2010, 09:40 PM   #1
djf
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 1
Rewards Points: 10
Default

Insurance Claim


Our house was recently hit with hail and wind damage. We had our insurance adjuster from Liberty Mutual out to review the damage and discovered we have quite a bit of siding that needs to be replaced. Our adjuster told us WI is a "no match" state, meaning that if a few pieces of siding need to be replaced on one side of the house, insurance companies are only obligated to replace the pieces that need to be replaced vs. replacing the entire side. Is this true? Where do I find out if this is a real law in WI or not? I am not sure where to even start with this one. Can anyone help?

Advertisement

djf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 10:34 PM   #2
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Alabama
Posts: 352
Rewards Points: 250
Default

Insurance Claim


Your insurance company is probably saying that they are not obligated to replace pieces of siding with the exact same match. Your siding may be faded and there is no way to match faded siding.
I would personally look at this as though it were an automobile and certinally would not want to be able to distinguish a difference, as I am sure you are.
Of course we are talking about siding that will not be painted and automobile paint can be mixed to match faded surface to some extent.
I would have no problem with replacing part of the panels if I couldn't tell any difference.
I would think that if there is such a law, it was executed and lobbied by several insurance companies---and we are the goats!
This probably doesn't help, but this is just my thoughts.

Advertisement


Last edited by Giles; 08-09-2010 at 10:36 PM. Reason: words added
Giles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 10:39 PM   #3
Civil Engineer
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Boston
Posts: 4,309
Rewards Points: 2,196
Default

Insurance Claim


I would start by reading your policy. In my experience, 95% of people with insurance have never read their policy, and the remaining 5% did not understand it. They are often written in Lawyerish, often impossible for even the adjuster to understand what is covered, what is not. As for laws that specifically address "no match", whatever that is, you would probably need an attorney to help you out, certainly not a DIY site.
Daniel Holzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 03:05 PM   #4
uva uvam videndo variafit
 
WirelessG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: W by God VA (bye MS )
Posts: 558
Rewards Points: 500
Default

Insurance Claim


Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Holzman View Post
I would start by reading your policy. In my experience, 95% of people with insurance have never read their policy, and the remaining 5% did not understand it. They are often written in Lawyerish, often impossible for even the adjuster to understand what is covered, what is not. As for laws that specifically address "no match", whatever that is, you would probably need an attorney to help you out, certainly not a DIY site.
I agree. However, I remain dubious on the no match law. It seems odd to me that a State would legislate insurance coverage to that extent.
WirelessG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 06:01 PM   #5
DIY Hack
 
Mr Chips's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Location, Location
Posts: 1,305
Rewards Points: 504
Default

Insurance Claim


Quote:
Originally Posted by WirelessG View Post
I agree. However, I remain dubious on the no match law. It seems odd to me that a State would legislate insurance coverage to that extent.
They may not legislate no match, but they might not require it either, leaving the insurance companies to make their own rules, and we all know what that means....
__________________
Those who can, do...
Those who can't criticize on the internet
Mr Chips is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 08:38 PM   #6
uva uvam videndo variafit
 
WirelessG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: W by God VA (bye MS )
Posts: 558
Rewards Points: 500
Default

Insurance Claim


Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Chips View Post
They may not legislate no match, but they might not require it either, leaving the insurance companies to make their own rules, and we all know what that means....
That's true, but at least you can select among the insurance companies based on their quote and policies (although, as previously posted, most people never read through their policies) as opposed to the government mandating a policy.

Advertisement

WirelessG is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
fading , insurance , laws , siding , wisconsin


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
house insurance company wants to inspect my house! Knucklez General DIY Discussions 63 07-16-2013 09:05 PM
Home Owner's Builder's risk policy denied claim VinnieL Building & Construction 6 05-26-2009 11:48 AM
What kind of roof is this? cwelte Roofing/Siding 16 02-23-2008 02:17 AM
How do I get insurance? ETD66SS Building & Construction 2 06-19-2007 04:16 PM
NYC, Insurance claim, Lawyer? Contractor? Insurance company?who first(house trouble) Woodpecker Building & Construction 6 04-09-2007 07:59 PM




Top of Page | View New Posts