Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > The Break Room > Off Topic

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-02-2014, 07:12 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 2,000

Imagine the nerve

In view of the power outages as a result of the recent ice storm, the Premiere's office together with local municipalities is giving out gift cards in varying amounts to grocery stores to those who have lost fridge fulls and cannot afford to replace spoiled food.

This is designed to help out, and limited to those in need and is an on your honour basis.

The news reporter just showed a family pulling up to a municipality office in a BMW wagon, in fancy coats.......looking for a 100 voucher.

Maybe being a cheapskate schmuck is the reason they can afford to drive the Beamer

creeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 07:48 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,526

Imagine the nerve

The vouchers were given out to first come first served. It didn't have anything to do with who lost food or who actually needed the assistance, as far as I could tell.

Old 01-02-2014, 07:53 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,000

Imagine the nerve

Perhaps it turned into that, but the idea was supposed to help out those who needed it. Today was day two. I heard loblaws ( the participating grocery store) is shipping preloaded cards in from Manitoba.

I guess because they were just going on the honour system that if you got in line, you needed the help
creeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 09:56 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,526

Imagine the nerve

We shall see how they handle it in Hamilton. They are supposed to be getting cards as well.

Canadian Tire tried give the line crew gift cards but they turned them down and requested the money to charity. Red Cross will be getting 500K to assist those in need.

Quote:
This contribution was made possible through the generosity of numerous hydro companies and their workers who asked that the support, originally intended for employees as a thank you for their tireless work, be redirected to those most impacted by this storm and future emergencies.

"We wanted to show our appreciation for the men and women who sacrificed their own Christmas and worked in very challenging conditions to get the lights back on," said Michael Medline, President, Canadian Tire Corporation. "We were impressed with them before and we're even more impressed now to see them redirect this donation to the people they have been helping, day in and day out since the storm passed through."

On behalf of the employees of hydro companies including Toronto Hydro and Hydro One, Canadian Tire is providing the donation to the Red Cross, whose volunteers have been working around the clock to provide help to those impacted.

Read more here: http://www.sacbee.com/2013/12/31/603...#storylink=cpy