Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Community > Off Topic

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-18-2012, 07:41 AM   #1
Stay-at-home GC

Share |

I was a teenage copper...

Yep, its true.

4 years in NC, right after I got out of The Corps.

Went into The Corps to get experience because I thought all those Cops episodes looked pretty fun.

Strange, they never showed anybody writing reports from 3 am until 6 am on those shows. They also left out the part where the drunk guy pukes in the back seat of your car and the part where you have to strip search some dude that hasn't had a shower in a week or the part where the newlywed husband gets run over in front of his wife. Huh, I figured it was all just chasing bad guys and driving fast.

So, when my wife's job took us to Pittsburgh, I jumped ship and never looked back.

Ask me anything. Yes, cops like donuts.

Some days, my Life needs a Rewind/Erase Button.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
CplDevilDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 07:45 AM   #2
Stay-at-home GC

By the way Creeper, I went out and bought that Gotye song the day after you mentioned it. Now its exploded everywhere but I have to give you the nod for introducing me.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-18-2012, 07:58 AM   #3

Never mind that song anymore ...check out simple song by the shins...great stuff until it gets ruined

By the way, cool on the copper stuff. Can you get me a date with Agent Derek Morgan. Oh wait a minute thats in Quantico
creeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 08:52 AM   #4
Jack of all - master none

I work for a city -head of IT- so I work with all departments, including the cops. Not a job or a culture I would ever want to be involved with. Yes, they get to carry and own guns (I like target shooting), but other than that I would not want to have a job that directly makes me deal with the scum of society on a daily basis.

Right out of college [2002] I worked as a [heavily] armed guard at a Nuclear facility. The months of training was fun, and I thought I'd love the job. Free access to shooting range and ammunition every week was awesome. The real job sucked. Spent way too much time hassling people that were just trying to do their job, but didn't close a door properly; making a guy late for work because I have to search his toolbag that looks like a black blob on an xray machine; frisking old overweight women because they set off a metal/explosives detector; finding all sorts of disgusting things in the cabs of semi trucks that had to be completely torn apart and searched before being let in to the secured area. Plus, the stress of waiting for the next Al-Queada attack - this was less than a year after 9/11.

It takes a special kind of person/mentality to be a cop, prison guard, etc. I have the utmost respect for them, but would never want their jobs.
hyunelan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 09:40 AM   #5
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Was a bouncer years ago and that was enough for me. I have lots of admiration for law enforcement. Knowing I was often outgunned would freak me out.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 09:43 AM   #6
Stay-at-home GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyunelan2 View Post
I worked as a [heavily] armed guard at a Nuclear facility.
Ahhh, the good old DOE's Personnel Reliability Program. Probably too much Secret and Top Secret stuff to go into detail here on an open forum but yes, I've stood in my share of guard towers.

I was out of police work before 9-11 but I had friends and family still out there. Horror stories.

Old 04-18-2012, 10:33 AM   #7

Dare I open a can of worms and ask you about gun control. In your opinion is there any validity to the thought that if bad guys had more restricted access to guns the crime rate would go down. Or do you believe that would just leave the innocent peeps no way to protect themselves.
Maybe hard core thugs will always find a way to get them, but 2 bit thieves and crackheads not so much??
Old 04-18-2012, 11:26 AM   #8
Stay-at-home GC

Boy that is a can of worms!

My personal opinion is the murder rate would go down. If you want the crime rate to go down legalize most drugs. Legalize them, tax them and educate the public with the proceeds.

Not sure what to do about the hard-stuff. The Amphetamines, Opiates and Cocaine based stuff just alters brain chemistry too much.

I suspect if you legalized it the price would come down and then if people did become addicted they wouldn't have to knock over banks and beat old ladies to keep their habit fed.

I can't imagine the number of Police, Prison and Court personnel this would put out of work though.

Old 04-18-2012, 11:35 AM   #9
Stay-at-home GC

But your question was my stance on Gun Control.

I never joined the NRA because they were always fighting any gun legislation. In their opinion if you give up your right to own a bazooka then you're on a slippery slope to not being able to go bird hunting.

During our "War on Terror" our Government has banged the Fundamentalist and Extremist Muslim Gong. In my opinion, Extremism and Fundamentalism in any respect is detrimental to peace and harmony.

The Truth and Peace are always in a gray, in-between area.

IMO

Last edited by CplDevilDog; 04-18-2012 at 11:39 AM.
Old 04-18-2012, 01:15 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by CplDevilDog View Post
Boy that is a can of worms!

My personal opinion is the murder rate would go down. If you want the crime rate to go down legalize most drugs. Legalize them, tax them and educate the public with the proceeds.

Not sure what to do about the hard-stuff. The Amphetamines, Opiates and Cocaine based stuff just alters brain chemistry too much.

I suspect if you legalized it the price would come down and then if people did become addicted they wouldn't have to knock over banks and beat old ladies to keep their habit fed.

I can't imagine the number of Police, Prison and Court personnel this would put out of work though.
Here Here

I agree that hard drugs just puts fire in the brains of addicts. Very good points. Legalize, tax it and regulate it

Up here the supreme court just legalized prostitution and brothels. And while I must stress that lifestyle is not for me and these girls are someones daughters, I say its about time. Its gonna happen regardless, just as it has from the beginning of time. Its better than some old perv forcing himself on a young girl. Now these women can get trained bodyguards instead of crackhead pimps who beat them and steal their cash. And hopefully keep the children out of the trade. Better to regulate and give the Feds a slice of the pie then the gangs
Old 04-18-2012, 01:29 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by CplDevilDog View Post
But your question was my stance on Gun Control.

I never joined the NRA because they were always fighting any gun legislation. In their opinion if you give up your right to own a bazooka then you're on a slippery slope to not being able to go bird hunting.

During our "War on Terror" our Government has banged the Fundamentalist and Extremist Muslim Gong. In my opinion, Extremism and Fundamentalism in any respect is detrimental to peace and harmony.

The Truth and Peace are always in a gray, in-between area.

IMO
You know I try very hard not to be judgemental. It would be easy for me to sit back in my own quiet and comfortable little existence and say take away all guns from all people and things will improve, because the only real gun I've ever even seen has been inside a cops holster. (besides a shotgun) But tell that to the inner city guy who is trying to protect his family from the home invader. I was born in Montreal and raised in Toronto, but back then things were a lot different. There is gangs and guns now.
I dunno maybe the British Bobbies were on to something. No turning back now though
Old 04-18-2012, 07:28 PM   #12

Smile

Like hyunlean2, I work with Police in a small town in NH. We just recently hd a drug bust go very bad. A very good friend, an undercover detective was shot, he's going to be okay. The Chief from the neighboring town was shot nd killed, two weeks from his retirement. Just bad all around.

Most cops I deal with are great people, very professional. Never brag about their power. It took me a long time after twenty years in the private sector to be comfortable around all these people wearing guns, lol!

I agree, what I see from most cops is the boring stuff (lots of paperwork).
DevilDog, do your cruisers have the molded plastic back seat, that you can pull right out and hose off?
Old 04-18-2012, 08:06 PM   #13
Stay-at-home GC

Our department was just switching over to those. The newer cars had them but I had the olds vinyl bench seat. Luckily, they were set up to just pull out.

Old 04-18-2012, 09:16 PM   #14
Electrical Contractor

Gun control does not work!
Just look at the murders in DC and Chicago were guns are illegal.
Old 04-19-2012, 05:41 AM   #15

But you can't ignore the fact that the US is one of, if not THE world leader in death by firearm. By contrast, Japan and Great Britian, where gun restrictions are very strict, the homicide rate by gun is one of the lowest