DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (
-   Off Topic (
-   -   I rearended someone... (

jennakortan 08-10-2009 08:48 AM

I rearended someone...
I have a problem, I rear ended someone with my boyfriend’s truck last night. It wasn't so bad, but I've never done that before. We exchanged insurance numbers, driver's license numbers, and phone numbers, but made no report to the police as no one was hurt. When I did call 911 for the proper protocol, the dispatch lady told me that both of us need to report it to a police station within the next ten days and then give my insurance company the report. I just dont wanna be screwed over here. Does this sound correct?? It was so minor on a late 90's Toyota Corolla. Will this be expensive?? How much do these auto parts cost? I'd imagine it's just the bumper. Thanks for the input in advance!

Green Giant 08-10-2009 09:32 AM

Personally, I have never been in this situation ::knocks on wood:: but I would probably call the cops no matter what. Or at least get photographic documentation. While nobody was injured at the scene, you never know what people will say after they talk to their friends.

My dad had a similar situation. There was absolutely no damage to the car, and the other lady filed a claim with her insurance company claiming she was injured from the accident. In fact, my mom and I didn't learn about the incident until the insurance company called up stating they want to come take pictures of the damage to our car for the claim. I went and looked at the car, not a single scratch on it.

jerryh3 08-10-2009 09:41 AM

A police report should not be necessary if there were no injuries or either vehicle did not need to be towed. Call your insurance company and ask them what they require. It's usually just a statement from you listing the facts of the incident and the parties involved.

jennakortan 08-10-2009 09:54 AM

My insurance agent just called me back this I guess I'll have to deal with the insurance company and thr risk it may go up. Thanks for the input though guys, I appreciate it! :)

wirenut1110 08-10-2009 10:02 AM

My daughter had a similar situation in which we "thought" we were doing the right thing by getting the police involved.

When we spoke to the dispatcher, she said it wasn't necessary but she would send an officer anyway.

Well he shows up and gives her a reckless driving ticket.:furious:

Scuba_Dave 08-10-2009 11:08 AM

Usually when you rear end someone you are always found at fault
In some states it doesn't matter if there was a lot of damage
It goes down on your insurance report/driving record
Here it means you incur surcharges on your insurance for 3 years
Then no credits for safe driving for another 3 years
So basically a 6 year surcharge which can cost over $1k

jennakortan 08-10-2009 11:17 AM

So the hike in our insurance is up for 3 years after this stupid incident?? Thanks for the info. I think i should call my boyfriend now. Argh!

Maintenance 6 08-10-2009 02:45 PM

Reporting requirements might vary by state. I would avoid calling in the police for something like this as they will undoubtedly want to give you a ticket. It happened to my son. The cop almost insisted on giving him a ticket and neither party had called the police. He just happened on the incident. It's too late this time, but in the future, take plenty of pictures with your cell phone of both cars and the area where the incident occurred. Then send the pictures to an e-mail address where you can save them or print them out just in case the victim later wishes to exagerate the claim. That will help to keep everyone honest.

LeviDIY 08-10-2009 03:47 PM

Your insurance company is the FIRST place... because if the other person files a claim, it'll be via insurance companies. Don't goto the police... you filed an incident with your insurance company, that doesn't mean you will automatically be given a surcharge/at fault. That only happens if the other person does anything... most states, the law requires exchange of insurance/drivers lic #'s if you aren't calling the police, otherwise, it can be treated as leaving the scene of an accident... but again, all you need to do is contact your insurance company, not the police in this case. (Happened to my fiance last year...)

brokenknee 08-13-2009 04:43 AM

In MN if the total combined damage exceeds $1,000, if a car needs to be towed or if someone is taken to the hospital a police report must be filed by all parties involved.

jerryh3 08-13-2009 05:15 AM


Originally Posted by brokenknee (Post 313733)
In MN if the total combined damage exceeds $1,000, if a car needs to be towed or if someone is taken to the hospital a police report must be filed by all parties involved.

$1000? That's like a scratched bumper anymore.

DangerMouse 08-13-2009 07:32 AM

Bumper benders is where repair shops make most of their money, and it ain't cheap!
I keep full collision on the wife's car. PL/PD on my pickup.
I have zero points, the wife....ummm...I keep full collision on the wife's car.



brokenknee 08-13-2009 09:47 AM


Originally Posted by jerryh3 (Post 313736)
$1000? That's like a scratched bumper anymore.

Yes it is; but that is the current law in MN.

jerryh3 08-13-2009 09:54 AM


Originally Posted by brokenknee (Post 313836)
Yes it is; but that is the current law in MN.

That's pretty involved for a self report form.

brokenknee 08-13-2009 09:57 AM

I just re-read the first post; I think we may have been duped. "She" has a link to another web site that sells auto parts.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:18 AM.

User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2016 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1