I Must Be A Moron... - Off Topic - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > The Break Room > Off Topic

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-16-2010, 05:46 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

I must be a moron...

Sorry, but I gotta vent on this one. I am a sucker and moron I guess and I am done.

It all started while we were building our new house about 2 years ago. We purchased our 10 acres from the family that lives next to us in the front. They are a little different, but they seemed friendly. The husband was a recently retired equipment operator. When we bought the property I purchased a backhoe and bulldozer to help in building the house and with other things around the property like the pond, etc. Since I had the backhoe delivered, my neighbor has had his eye on it and constantly asking to barrow it to do work around his house. I origianllly had to no problem with loaning it out as he was always willing to help the contractors move materials when we were not here. So it wasn't working out too badly. He always offered to help on the pond and to move materials around for us.

As time went on, I found myself having to constantly go over to his house to get the backhoe. He would use it, and leave it at his house when he was done. I also noticed that minor things would get broken on it and he would do a make-shift job of fixing it. Duct tape, welding, etc. All I would ever see him do with it was fix his driveway and stuff. Until one day I came home early and noticed he was trying to rip out trees with the front bucket. This explained the broken exhaust stack. The limbs would slam into the cab and stack when he would ram the trees. Needless to say I wasn't happy and he saw this when I came over. He brought it back and I looked it over from top to bottom and fixed little odds and ends that needed attention. He didn't ask to use it again for quit a while.

What he did ask to barrow was my utility trailer that I use to haul my equipment. He had an old hog barn that collapsed and he wanted to haul the metal in for scrap. So I reluctantly let him barrow it. Big mistake. It is a 24k trailer, so over loading it wasn't an issue, but that didn't end up being the problem. After he used it, he brought it back and it sat for a couple of days until I needed it. When I hooked up to it to my truck, I was running the jack up on the trailer and noticed it was binding up. When I looked closer, I saw it was completely bent back and a couple of the welds were broken. I knew immediately what happened. He didn't run the jack all the way up and set the foot up and drove off, hit the road edge or something and it bent the whole thing up.

I understand accidents happen, but why would you bring it back broken and not say anything? I called him on the spot. I really got pissed when he acknowledged he knew it happened, but his logic, was because his truck sat lower than mine. That trailer was set up from my F550, and not his truck. That is why that happened. After I carefully explained to him how ignorant that sounded, he offered to bring over his torch and come-a-long to help me fix it. I was able to heat it and get it back into place and weld it up.

We didn't talk for several months after that. My wife and I spotted him and his wife walking down the road and we stopped to say 'high." We had a pleasant conversation with them with not problems. When we got ready to leave, he said he wanted to use the tractor to fix his driveway again and I told him to let me know when he was ready for it, I would come over and help him. After saying that, he made the smart-ass comment: "well, I don't want to get yelled at or anything..." I said, "well, don't break my **** and not tell me, bring it back and act like nothing happened." That was the end of the conversation.

Well, that was the last of our conversion for another few months until recnetly when he actually came over to talk about using the tractor again a week ago. It just so happened that the power steering pump went out in my machine and I was in the process of fixing it, so it was down. He did over to help and I told him the parts are going to be here this week and I could help him out after that. Well, the parts came in and I rebuilt the pump and she ran like a dream. The next day, he stopped by and gave my wife a check for $300 to help out with the repairs on the pump. My wife about fell over. I got a hold of him and told him the machine would be available for (2) days as I needed it out on a job very soon. He decided he wanted it for (3) days and was determined to keep it that long. I went right over there and got it when I got home late one night and drove it home.

That was last night and I want to get out there to check the machine over one last time. I have decided this is the end. Am I in the wrong here? Am I playing too much of a hard-ass? I really feel like he takes advantage of me and I'm done with it. Granted, there are times when both my machines may be parked for a week or so at a time, but I use them a lot around my property.

In a conversation he and I had not that long ago, I made him aware of rental on a backhoe with delivery could be around $1000.00 per week and he is getting off pretty cheap. All I hear is how they can't afford this and that, but yet they are gone to Alaska 3 times a year and the Caribbean for 4 weeks at at time. I should know, my kid watches their dog. I don't mine helping people, but come on.

I also make up my mind, if he needs stuff done around the house, I do it for him in my machine. That way he gets the point finally and I will send him a bill for fuel or something.

Sorry about the long, rambling post, but I had to vent...Thoughts???

Thanks!

A Sucker Neighbor

Advertisement

ciws14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 07:23 PM   #2
I have gas!

Rewards Points: 1,018

I must be a moron...

I can't believe I read that whole thing. I hate lending tools too because they never come back the same way.

Advertisement

Old 10-16-2010, 07:34 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,000

I must be a moron...

Can I borrow your back hoe ?
Do you deliver ?
Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 07:34 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 10

I must be a moron...

I'm 62 years old and the two most important lessons I've learned are if a job turns to crap it's the one your doing cheap for a freind or relative and

No Good Deed Goes Unpunished
The Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to The Hammer For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (10-16-2010)
Old 10-16-2010, 07:38 PM   #5
Pro Flooring Installer

Rewards Points: 2,318

I must be a moron...

Depends on your neighbor. I have one that I loan tools. He came over and changed the starter in my wife's car when my back was out. I bought wire for his welder and he has welded things for me. We have traded help many times. But some of my neighbors i wouldn't give the time of day.
rusty baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 02:20 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 512

I must be a moron...

Wasn't it Mark Twain who said - good fences make good neighbors.
Windows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 04:12 AM   #7
Enough is Enough

Rewards Points: 75

I must be a moron...

I quit loaning out tools years ago.

Advertisement

H. A. S. is offline   Reply With Quote