Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Community > Off Topic

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-14-2008, 01:16 AM   #1
UAW SKILLED TRADES

Share |

I Hate Ice

Watching the news lately about our north east and north central part of the country reminds me of 1996 here in Kansas when we had an ice storm of that magnitude. What a freakin mess. Being an electrician or utility lineman sucked but the money sure was good. Regardless I still hate ice storms. Only people that like them are photographers and generator manufacturers. I remember everybody was wanting home standby generator systems or transfer switches to be used with portable generators. Man we put in a jillion of those for customers. Whats funny is...we haven't had a storm since then that has required the use of all those generator standby systems. In most cases the utility had to approve the installation of the transfer switch, there were so many getting installed they did a bulk mailing to home owners giving the requirements of the transfer device.

We were over a year getting all the piles of tree limbs hauled off the streets. Only good thing about it is if you burned wood it ws free for the taking.

Anyway all you guys working out east, Chris 75, Speedy Petey.. take care... and be freakin careful that ice creates a lot of unusual electrical problems that will getcha if not on the ball.

Last edited by Stubbie; 12-14-2008 at 01:22 AM.
Stubbie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 10:08 AM   #2

I Hate Ice

Our ice storm is scheduled for tonight and all next week. (Which reminds me to gas up my car and truck before the electricity goes out along with the gas pumps.)

I bought a generator after having my power go out for 3 days several years ago, then since then I have rarely needed it. Of course if I did not buy it, then we would have had a bunch of prolonged power outages! (Along the lines of washing your car and it raining...)

Billy_Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 12:39 PM   #3

I Hate Ice

From a veteran who has seen a lot of ice storms in our neck of the woods.

If you don't have to go out in it then don't. I have seen way to many broken bones. The orthopedists (bone doctors) smile thinking of ice storms and run down and place orders for a new Mercedes. In fact the Mercedes dealers actually open up for orthopedists during ice storms when everyone else closes down.

Four wheel drives are not magic. They still take as long to stop as normal cars. There is a myth that 4 wheel drives have a force shield around them and that is not true. People who believe in the 4 wheel drive force shield myth drive real fast especially around crashes and often find out that the 4 wheel drive force shield is a myth. The 4 wheel drive force shield defense has not worked in court.

Chanting "I am a good driver and it's everyone else who are bad drivers" over and over doesn't work. Everyone is a bad driver in ice storms. Actually anyone who ever says they are a good driver and it's everyone else who are bad drivers, is not a good driver. Usually this phrase is made by those who have had their licenses suspended, had multiple crashes, on high risk insurance or have a superior, although distorted, sense of self importance.

Gravity is multiplied and distorted in an ice storm. Einstein showed that when there is ice there can be gravity pockets that can pull cars into it if they get too close. It is impossible to see these gravity pockets but the are there. Usually there are already a bunch of cars that have been sucked into one before others get there. This is a clear indication of a gravity pocket. Many of these gravity pockets are formed on freeways and along the side of roads that have a curve to them. Some speculate that roads are actaully causing these gravity pockets combined with the ice distortion of the gravity since there are none in the fields surrounding the roads unless of course there is a curved road next to it.

It has been shown that all metal becomes magnetic during ice storms. This is proven when there is a pile of cars that were suddenly pulled into each other.

Other theories include intellectual black holes. This is where common sense is neutralized and idiocy is compounded. Then you can have several people that get together and this creates the intellectual black hole and all intelligence is sucked out of anyone within 15 feet. The key to surviving is to acknowledge the black hole and realize that common sense can overcome the forces of an intellectual black hole. Limiting time near these is critical because over time the distorted logic will start to look like it is normal.

Common everyday intellectual black holes are common in houses occupied by chronic drug users and career criminals.
Old 12-14-2008, 02:00 PM   #4

Send a message via AIM to theatretch85

I Hate Ice

Marvin, your post reminded me of something funny I have saved on my computer:

Dark Conspiracy Involving Electrical Power Companies Surfaces
For years the electrical utility companies have led the public to believe they were in business to supply electricity to the consumer, a service for which they charge a substantial rate. The recent accidental acquisition of secret records from a well known power company has led to a massive research campaign which positively explodes several myths and exposes the massive hoax which has been perpetrated upon the public by the power companies. The most common hoax promoted the false concept that light bulbs emitted light; in actuality, these ‘light’ bulbs actually absorb DARK, which is then transported back to the power generation stations via wire networks. A more descriptive name has now been coined; the new scientific name for the device is DARKSUCKER. This newsletter introduces a brief synopsis of the dark sucker theory, which prove the existence of dark and establishes the fact that dark has great mass, and further, that dark particle (the anti-photon) is the fastest know particle in the universe. Apparently, even the celebrated Dr. Albert Einstein did not suspect the truth, that just as COLD is the absence of HEAT, LIGHT is actually the ABSENCE of DARK, scientists have now proven that light does not really exist! The basis of the dark sucker theory is that electric light bulbs suck dark. Take for example, the dark suckers in the room where you are right now. There is much less dark right next to the dark suckers than there is elsewhere, demonstrating their limited range. The larger the dark sucker, the greater its capacity to suck dark. Dark suckers in a parking lot or on a football field have a much greater capacity than the ones used in the home, for example. It may come as a surprise to learn that dark suckers also operate on a celestial scale; witness the Sun. Our Sun makes use of dense dark, sucking it in from all the planets and intervening dark space. Naturally, the Sun is better able to suck dark from the planets which are situated closer to it, thus explaining why those planets appear brighter than those which are far distance from the Sun. Occasionally, the Sun actually over sucks; under those conditions, dark spots appear on the surface of the Sun. Scientists have long studied these ‘sunspots’ and are only recently beginning to realize that the dark spots represent leaks of high pressure dark because the Sun has over sucked dark to such an extent that some dark actually leaks back into space. This leakage of high pressure dark frequently causes problems with radio communications here on Earth due to collisions between the dark particles as they stream out into space at high velocity via the black ‘holes’ in the surface of the Sun. As with all manmade devices, dark suckers have a finite lifetime caused by the fact that they are not 100% efficient at transmitting collected dark back to the power company via the wired from your home, causing dark to build up slowly within the device. Once they are full of accumulated dark, they can no longer suck. This condition can be observed by looking for the black spot on a full dark sucker when it has reached maximum capacity of un-transmitted dark, you have surely noticed that dark completely surrounds a full dark sucker because it no longer has the capacity to suck any dark at all. A candle is a primitive dark sucker. A new candle has a white wick. You will notice that after the first use the wick turns black, representing all the dark that has been sucked into it. If you hold a pencil next to the wick of an operating candle, the tip will turn black because it got in the way of the dark flowing into the candle. It is of no use to plug a candle into an electrical outlet; it can only collect dark, it has no transmission capabilities. Unfortunately, these primitive dark suckers have a very limited range and are hazardous to operate because of the intense heat produced. There are also portable dark suckers called flashlights. The bulbs in these devices collect dark, which is passed to a dark storage unit called a battery. When the dark storage unit is full, it must either be emptied (a process called ‘recharging’) or replaced before the portable dark sucker can continue to operate. If you break open a battery, you will find dense black dark inside, evidence that it is actually a compact dark storage unit.
theatretch85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 02:31 PM   #5
Electrician

I Hate Ice

The storm was a mess, but it was hit or miss around my area depending on your elevation, my house was fine, but less than a mile away is was total carnage!
chris75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 03:05 PM   #6
UAW SKILLED TRADES

I Hate Ice

Hi Chris

Finally after all these years I have made a post that is off topic.......
I'm glad someone was paying attention and found this irrelevant to the electrical forum. I really think it was our friend theatretech and his dark particle stuff.....that caused this to get moved....

Anyway I was looking at Litchfield on the internet and looks like a great place to live IMO. I hope the ice damage doesn't disfigure the landscape too much. I remember back in 1996 that a large cottonwood tree around 80 feet tall breaking off at the ground and falling through a home cutting it basically in half. What was funny is the lady of the house had just sat down on the pot when the tree came crashing through. Don't suppose she had too much of a problem taking care of business at that point.

Anyway I'm sure you will read about similar events around your area and adjoining states.
Old 12-14-2008, 04:47 PM   #7
Electrician

I Hate Ice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stubbie View Post
Hi Chris

Finally after all these years I have made a post that is off topic.......
I'm glad someone was paying attention and found this irrelevant to the electrical forum. I really think it was our friend theatretech and his dark particle stuff.....that caused this to get moved....

Anyway I was looking at Litchfield on the internet and looks like a great place to live IMO. I hope the ice damage doesn't disfigure the landscape too much. I remember back in 1996 that a large cottonwood tree around 80 feet tall breaking off at the ground and falling through a home cutting it basically in half. What was funny is the lady of the house had just sat down on the pot when the tree came crashing through. Don't suppose she had too much of a problem taking care of business at that point.

Anyway I'm sure you will read about similar events around your area and adjoining states.

Litchfield is a pretty neat old town with lots of history behind it, definitely worth a visit to check out the old mansions, I've done some work on a few of them, My mom grew up in town and its fun to talk about the old and new. Just for fun facts, I actually live in Northfield,which is a village, but it's part of Litchfield We have a few famous people in town as well, Dick Ebersol & wife Susan Saint James.
Old 12-14-2008, 07:28 PM   #8

I Hate Ice

Hey Stubbie, looks like we're fixin' to get our own little ice storm here in KC. It suddenly became a winter wonderland outside.
I get to do a rough-in inspection on an 8000sqft house tomorrow first thing...That'll be cold.
Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 07:43 PM   #9

Send a message via AIM to theatretch85

I Hate Ice

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekctermite View Post
Hey Stubbie, looks like we're fixin' to get our own little ice storm here in KC. It suddenly became a winter wonderland outside.
I get to do a rough-in inspection on an 8000sqft house tomorrow first thing...That'll be cold.

Don't you mean you "have" to do a rough-in inspection? I would think "get to" means you will actually enjoy doing it....

Either way sounds like a very cold job, bundle up, haha.
theatretch85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 08:41 AM   #10

I Hate Ice

I went to measure a new construction home last year in the dead of Alaska winter. Brought my clip board (metal) and my tape measure.
no walls were up, so it was really just a floor plan.
didn't last long...
hands started to stick to the clipboard. No gloves...
whoops...

Lame-
Floorwizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 11:18 AM   #11
UAW SKILLED TRADES

I Hate Ice

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekctermite View Post
Yep I'm stayin inside, one of the luxuries of being retired.... good luck keeping warm I'm showing 13F on my window thermometer..... 8000 sq.ft. that's a big one.....
Old 12-15-2008, 11:26 AM   #12
UAW SKILLED TRADES

I Hate Ice

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris75 View Post
Litchfield is a pretty neat old town with lots of history behind it, definitely worth a visit to check out the old mansions, I've done some work on a few of them, My mom grew up in town and its fun to talk about the old and new. Just for fun facts, I actually live in Northfield,which is a village, but it's part of Litchfield We have a few famous people in town as well, Dick Ebersol & wife Susan Saint James.
Yes I agree I'm finding myself reading more and more about it
Old 12-15-2008, 12:18 PM   #13
K&B Remodeler/Tile Guy

I Hate Ice

Days like today reminded me of last year when I was cutting cement board in a customers driveway when it was literally -10° out. THAT sucked. Cutting tile in the garage was no fun either. I had a torpedo heater aimed at the bottom of my wet saw and the water would actually freeze when it left the pump on the way to the saw.
Seeing that this winter is off the the same kind of start as we had last year, I'm actually looking at buying a cargo trailer, insulating the crap out of it and adding a heater. I'm hoping such a small space will be easy to heat (and keep warm).
Makes you really appreciate the work guys did 100 years ago on some of these wonderful houses that are still around today. They didn't have power tools or any of the conveniences we have. Yet, they still did their jobs and the fact that houses are still standing is pretty dang impressive.
So where's this global warming I keep hearing about
Old 12-15-2008, 12:41 PM   #14

I Hate Ice

Quote:
Originally Posted by angus242 View Post
So where's this global warming I keep hearing about
Yea, I was looking forward to it. Got me some suntan lotion, new pair of shades and a lounge chair.

Instead I was up all night running call after call with furnaces that didn't work and pipes that were frozen in 15 degrees with 40 mph gusts.

Have a bunch more but I need a nap.

Al Gore let me down. I guess I should never trust a politician with an agenda....oh wait, all politicians have an agenda.
Old 12-15-2008, 03:55 PM   #15
Electrician

I Hate Ice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stubbie View Post
Yes I agree I'm finding myself reading more and more about it
Those are pics of the green and courthouse, I live about 15 mins from town.

Here are some links I came up with....

http://www.litchfieldct.com/twn/history.html

http://www.litchfieldhistoricalsociety.org/

http://www.whitememorialcc.org/