Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Community > Off Topic

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-04-2012, 01:45 PM   #1

Share |

I feel like a jerk

So I'm using that "Mold Armor" stuff to wash one of the gable sides of my Cape Cod style house. Under the gable is 2' deep row of waist high lilies. As the instructions dictate, I spray them with water first, then I hose down the house on the "clean" setting--which is basically spraying a bleach solution out. I stop spraying, wait about 5 minutes or so and start to rinse with water--

I decided to give the flowers another spray with water, and as I'm doing this out runs a tiny baby bunny. Couldn't have been much larger than a ping pong ball... he ran about 10' away from the house and stopped in the grass a few feet from me... I waited a minute or two to see what he would do, but he didn't do anything... he was clearly wet and tired, he couldn't even keep his eyes open... poor little guy was napping in the flowers and I show up spraying bleach and water everywhere...

I took a quick look around the lilies to see if any siblings or parents were around--I didn't see anything... so I finished rinsing off the house.

When I finish, I see the little bunny is still sitting there... I move over to him, I'm about a food away away, kneeling down looking at him, he's got one eye open slightly looking at me, but trying to not move or even breath... even his nose isn't twitching... at that moment we both hear the screeching of two hawks circling overhead... he literally tensed up, got even smaller and tightly closed his eyes... I knew there was no chance of him hopping to safety with the hawks around, plus it's so hot and sunny, he'd fry sitting there in the grass for a long time.

I ran inside, grabbed a cardboard box and put my welding gloves on... when I got back out there he was still in the same balled up position, the hawks are still circling (he really blended into the shaggy grass quite well, I'm glad I didn't mow )...

I literally had to just about pick the thing up to get him to hop into the box, once in there he went crazy trying to hop out... I brought him over to a row of hedges and trees between my neighbor and I--there are usually half a dozen bunnies hopping around there at dawn and dusk, so I figure that's probably closer to where he belonged anyway...

Wouldn't you know the little bastard wouldn't leave the box... even as I gradually tipped it more and more, he grabbed on to one of the bottom flaps and wouldn't let go... finally after a gentle shake, he slid out and hopped under the forsythia...

I thru a handful of red cherries and chopped vegetables under there, hopefully either he'll eat it, or maybe it will attract some parents to come pick him up before too long.

Here I am worrying about whether or not I have some dirt on my vinyl siding and I manage to complete eff up his day!

I had a bunny as a pet when I was kid, so I've always had a soft spot for them... I hope he makes it

BigJim (07-04-2012), creeper (07-04-2012), Tom Struble (07-15-2012), VIPlumber (07-04-2012), Windows on Wash (07-15-2012)
Old 07-04-2012, 02:07 PM   #2

I feel like a jerk

You are my new hero !!

Got any lettuce or carrots in the fridge? Don't worry he will be fine

creeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 02:15 PM   #3

I feel like a jerk

I love bunnies. Especially with gravy and mashed potatoes!
Davejss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 02:56 PM   #4

I feel like a jerk

Quote:
Originally Posted by creeper View Post
You are my new hero !!

Got any lettuce or carrots in the fridge? Don't worry he will be fine

This was "fruit week" when I went grocery shopping... so all I had were tangerines, nectarines and red cherries... I figured out the lot, he might like the cherry's...

The veggies I put out where some chopped green and yellow squash that I grilled last week---ungrilled of course!

Davejss, this little guy would have ended up being less meat than a steak tip... anyway, I try not to eat meat, tho I still often do--and I always feel guilty about just how much I enjoy hamburger on the charcoal grill...

My rule lately has been not to eat anything that lives in my backyard--so no bunnies, turkey, squirrels, chipmunks, wild birds, or small children.
Old 07-04-2012, 08:47 PM   #5
Bill Kearney

I feel like a jerk

So you deprived two hawks of food to feed their chicks, and this is a good thing? Shame on you disrupting the natural order of things.
wkearney99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 08:52 PM   #6

I feel like a jerk

Quote:
Originally Posted by wkearney99 View Post
So you deprived two hawks of food to feed their chicks, and this is a good thing? Shame on you disrupting the natural order of things.
Maybe if I had a hawk as a kid I would have put the bunny on a platter with some garnish for them?
VIPlumber (07-04-2012)
Old 07-12-2012, 10:01 PM   #7
Coconut Pete's paella!

I feel like a jerk

Well done!

I eat meat constantly (we have incisors in our teeth and hydrochloric acid in our stomachs for a reason) but I don't kill animals just for the hell of it. Your story reminds me of the saga I had with a bird in my garage last weekend.....
CoconutPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 10:50 AM   #8

I feel like a jerk

...Goof...
bobelectric is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 10:55 AM   #9

I feel like a jerk

Quote:
Originally Posted by wkearney99 View Post

flushed out with a bleach solution is the natural order of things?
Tom Struble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 10:59 AM   #10

I feel like a jerk

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobelectric View Post
...Goof...

why,you don't think the animal has a ''right'' not to be harmed?
Tom Struble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 11:54 AM   #11
the Musigician

I feel like a jerk

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobelectric View Post
...Goof...
Name-calling, even as a "jest" is NEVER ALLOWED HERE!

Let's keep it civil guys.

DM
Old 07-15-2012, 01:05 PM   #12
Pro Flooring Installer

I feel like a jerk

Just remember we are omnivores. Our systems are supposed to consume meat, fruits and vegetables. etc.
rusty baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 04:41 PM   #13
Exterior Construction

I feel like a jerk

What did you just call me...

Windows on Wash is offline   Reply With Quote