DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (
-   Off Topic (
-   -   How would one check a contractor or handymans bonding, license and insurance? (

WilliamRLBaker 04-07-2010 11:46 PM

How would one check a contractor or handymans bonding, license and insurance?
Recently found that my mom is having a deck built and is having the husband and friend of her grandsons half sisters mother do the work...*I know i know....*

Any ways I got into it and said did you make sure they were going to get a permit? *is my understanding that a permit is needed for a raised deck* and shes like but they are bonded, and my reply being that doesn't mean much mom what If their license and bonding is expired?

My question being how would I check on this? I have the company name *K&C handyman out of noblesville,IN*
how would I check?
any help would be greatly appreciated.

chrisn 04-08-2010 03:25 AM

Ask them?
Go to your states contractors licensing site and look it up, goggle their names

PaliBob 04-08-2010 05:05 AM

Looks like Noblesville IN would be a neat place to live

Contact the Hamilton County office that handles Building & Safety

Most jurisdictions require a building permit for decks

WilliamRLBaker 04-08-2010 08:17 AM


Originally Posted by chrisn (Post 425659)
Ask them?
Go to your states contractors licensing site and look it up, goggle their names

Contractors can lie, Which is why I'm asking of a way other then asking the contractor or handyman If their license, bonding and insurance is paid up and current.
As well I tried looking for the state contractor licensing site and had no luck.

*and just found out that indiana all other licensing is down at the county level except plumbing*

Leah Frances 04-08-2010 08:20 AM

Let us know.

Bob Mariani 04-08-2010 09:48 AM

A contractor typically has to have their insurance agent send you a copy of their polices directly to you. It is a no charge normal transaction. If you are doing a larger job you can also have him get you a personal indemnity policy which specifically names you as the person that is protected from any work he or his workers or subs that goes wrong. Bonding is something that is different. It is a job specific policy that covers the scope of the work. So if the contractor does not compete the work, the bond holder is responsible to pay for the completion. However it is used in commercial work and residential contractors add this to their ads, but almost never have any such policy nor will they ever know what it is for.
get a permit for any work. The building department knows if this person is licensed.

Scuba_Dave 04-08-2010 11:13 AM

The permit & inspection will also insure that it meets local codes

PaliBob 04-08-2010 04:01 PM


Originally Posted by WilliamRLBaker (Post 425640)
....I know I know....

Don't let your Mom take a chance

A deck permit will verify that the new deck is built to code
after the deck is built by the Building Inspector.

WilliamRLBaker 04-09-2010 03:09 AM

though it was quite alot of work *wishes it wasn't* he and his friend are licensed, and insured.

As well don't need a permit for it here in noblesville did some looking and a raised deck does need a permit but any thing below 18 inchs from the ground does not need a permit.
but every thing else seems to check out.
thanks every one for answering.

EmPerry 04-30-2011 05:55 AM

License Check
It is always and important to conduct a license check before you hire anyone, in this way both of the parties are liable to the output of the project. To assure contractor's license is legal, you can able to do a license check, its your right and to make sure that he's the one who you wanted to work for. Secure yourself from fraud.

tcleve4911 04-30-2011 06:02 AM

Soooooooo..................are they doing a nice job?
Is Mom happy?

rusty baker 04-30-2011 08:54 AM

Just remember, in some places you are on your own. In rural areas here, contractors don't need a license or permit and aren't required to be bonded or insured. And in many smaller urban areas you can get a license without insurance.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:44 PM.

vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1